Three sucks credit in account dry in 15 minutes...

Old May 15th 12, 01:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Default Three sucks credit in account dry in 15 minutes...

CJB wrote:

Wrong? Bl**dy MS decided to download 80MB worth of data for 18 security
upgrades - without warning me first.

I have never in my life had any MS updates downloaded "by MS". They get
downloaded & then installed when I go to the Windows Update website and
select them.

I update my least-used machine first, and check that it will reboot and that
the browser works there (so if there's a subsequent problem I have access to
the net to research it) before I go on to do the most-often used machine.

But... I'm using XP. Maybe you have some more recent OS and can't set up
updates to not happen automatically?

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Old May 15th 12, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Roland Perry

In message id, at
01:20:34 on Tue, 15 May 2012, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
remarked:
But... I'm using XP. Maybe you have some more recent OS and can't set up
updates to not happen automatically?

There have been reports that some MS updates reset the PC to
"download/install/reboot - automatically", and that's the only
explanation I have for one of my XP machines that's normally set to
"inform me only" but does the above at dead of night about once a year.
--
Roland Perry
Old May 15th 12, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Roland Perry wrote:

In message id, at
01:20:34 on Tue, 15 May 2012, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
remarked:
But... I'm using XP. Maybe you have some more recent OS and can't set up
updates to not happen automatically?

There have been reports that some MS updates reset the PC to "download/
install/ reboot - automatically", and that's the only explanation I have
for one of my XP machines that's normally set to "inform me only" but does
the above at dead of night about once a year.

I've always run without the "inform me" option. I know when the normal
release dates for patches are, and go looking for them...

My antivirus software (ESET) also tells me as soon as MS release any patches
(of importance greater than a configurable level - I haven't installed some
of the optional stuff like 'Live Essentials', 'Windows Search' and don't
need to be told every day that they're still available) that need applied.
ESET also tells me about Windows Defender updates that haven't automatically
downloaded yet (because the daily WD scan, which always starts by fetching
uptodate defs if needed, hasn't happened yet).

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Old May 18th 12, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Tue, 15 May 2012 11:28:10 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:

In message id, at
01:20:34 on Tue, 15 May 2012, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
remarked:
But... I'm using XP. Maybe you have some more recent OS and can't
set up updates to not happen automatically?

There have been reports that some MS updates reset the PC to
"download/install/reboot - automatically", and that's the only
explanation I have for one of my XP machines that's normally set to
"inform me only" but does the above at dead of night about once a
year.

I am no expert, and usually use Linux, but my Win7 partition is set to
install updates only when I allow it, but a couple of times, it has
done something like an update when untouched, and then rebooted the
computer. Untouched does not mean that I'm not watching it, however,
so it broke off a recording session that had to be started from
scratch, both times. Then, the next time I booted into Windows, it
'finished installing updates'.
This sounds like a similar problem.

--
Davey.
Old May 18th 12, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

Davey considered Fri, 18 May 2012 16:07:17
+0100 the perfect time to write:

Roland Perry wrote:

[...]

If you definitely had automatic updates turned off, but microsoft
accessed your computer and made alterations to it, they were
committing an offence under the Computer Misuse Act.
Better get the extradition warrants sorted out - it's supposed to be a
reciprocal arrangement, isn't it?
Old May 18th 12, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Roland Perry wrote:

[...]

Yeah, right. What I don't know, without spending time that I can use
better otherwise, is what happened at those times. I'm sure it's there
somewhere, but I can't be arsed to go looking for it.
--
Davey.