Can this be done

Old May 18th 12, 02:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Harry Bloomfield

Default Can this be done

Present system is a Netgear DG834G providing connection to broadband,
plus wifi for laptops, plus 4 items connected via the 4x LAN ports of
the Netgear. One of those wired LAN connected items is a mono laser
printer, which has a colour laser printer sat alongside it, which is
fitted with a LAN socket and USB.

With no spare LAN socket on the router, I am presently using a Netgear
Print server to connect the colour printer to the LAN via the USB. I
don't need to print often and the printers are some distance away from
where I normally work, so it is all fed from a remote controlled mains
switch. It has always sort of worked eventually, but I'm wondering if
it could be improved....

The Print Server has 4x LAN sockets on the back, might I be better /
more reliable connecting the colour printer via that, than the USB?

Is there a sensible way to have the single LAN cable feed both
printers? I have a second spare Netgear DG834G - could that be used to
split the single LAN cable presently going to the mono printer, to feed
both printers?

Thanks..

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old May 18th 12, 03:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Fri, 18 May 2012 14:30:45 +0100
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

Not seeing this clearly - are both printers Ethernet-capable? What's
the print server doing? What's USB-connected to what? Maybe part
names/numbers would be the most concise description, if you have them to
hand.
Old May 18th 12, 04:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

On 18/05/12 14:30, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I have a second spare Netgear DG834G - could that be used to split the
single LAN cable presently going to the mono printer, to feed both
printers?

Yes. You can use it as a four-port switch. You need to configure it
properly though.

It must have an IP address on the same subnet as your other machines but
with an address that doesn't clash with anything else on the network.
That probably means giving it a static IP address that is outside the
range allocated by any DHCP server you already have.

You can only have one DHCP server on the subnet and this is probably how
your existing router is set up. Disable the DHCP server in the new router.

--
Bernard Peek

Old May 18th 12, 07:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

Lets call the two printers mono and colour.

Mono has LAN port and parallel port with a direct wired LAN connection
to main router.

Colour has a LAN port and USB port.. LAN is not connected to it, as
there is no spare port on the router and no cable in place. So what I
did was installed a Netgear wireless Printserver, which has a USB
connection and 4x LAN ports and connected to the colour printer by USB.
The PS connects wirelessly to the main router, then to the colour
printer by USB. It works, but not very reliably, so I was looking for
alternatives.

This is what it looks like at the moment..

Main Router----------------------------------mono
Main Router - - wifi- - -Print Server--USB---Colour

It seems from the other post that I could utilise the one cable to feed
both printers via a second DG843G, which would be a more reliable
solution. Basically split the one connection in the area, to feed both
via a second DG834G I just happen to have handy.

I just need a solution where I can remotely turn on power to both
printers and their local DG834G, then be able to print to either of the
printers.

What I had in mind was to use a spare DG834G router that I happen to
have, into the one LAN cable in the room, then be able to connect both
printers via that spare DG834G. In other words two printers working
from the one LAN cable.

Old May 18th 12, 08:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

Ah, I was missing that it's a wireless print server. OK, a simple
solution as you say is to use a hub so you can run both printers off
the one cable, and as has been suggested you can configure the spare
router to do just that. Alternatively, 10/100 switches are 7 delivered
on eBay. :-)

Old May 18th 12, 08:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Harry Bloomfield

Rob Morley expressed precisely :

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

My thanks to both, I just wished I known that before I bought the print
server a couple of years ago.

Old May 19th 12, 05:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield has brought this to us :
[...]

A bit of feedback...

It worked instantly, both printers now available to print, as soon as
they have initialised. I would have responded earlier, except the
wall-wart PSU for my second Netgear had failed since the last time I
used it, I had to scour the house for a replacement.

Thanks for the help.