BT infinity cable question

Old May 21st 12, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Gibson

Default BT infinity cable question

Im thinking of getting BT Infinity. AIUI there a fibre optic box of some
sort, and a router box. I need to set up some cabling in advance, as I
want the router to be at a different location to the fibre optic box.
Can somebody tell me the type of cable that connects the two? I.e. is
it a standard Ethernet cable or is it the sort of cable you would use to
connect a phone socket to your broadband router? (I forget the name, but
it has "smaller " connectors).

--
David Gibson
Spam-cloaked message: The Reply-to address
Old May 21st 12, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

David Gibson wrote:
Im thinking of getting BT Infinity. AIUI there a fibre optic box of some
sort

Not quite, the fibre doesn't enter your house, it terminates in the
green street cabinet (hence FTTC) what enters your house is the copper
phoneline just as with ADSL. They will fit a different type of face
plate and a VDSL modem.

and a router box.

If you really are buying BT Infinity (rather than FTTC from another
provider, are you made of money?) then will provide an Home Hub.

I need to set up some cabling in advance, as I
want the router to be at a different location to the fibre optic box.
Can somebody tell me the type of cable that connects the two? I.e. is
it a standard Ethernet cable

Yep.

or is it the sort of cable you would use to
connect a phone socket to your broadband router? (I forget the name, but
it has "smaller " connectors).

You're probably thinking of RJ10 or RJ11, but it's not those anyway.

Old May 21st 12, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UnsteadyKen

David Gibson wrote...

Im thinking of getting BT Infinity. AIUI there a fibre optic box of some
sort, and a router box. I need to set up some cabling in advance, as I
want the router to be at a different location to the fibre optic box.
Can somebody tell me the type of cable that connects the two? I.e. is
it a standard Ethernet cable or is it the sort of cable you would use to
connect a phone socket to your broadband router? (I forget the name, but
it has "smaller " connectors).

I had Infinity installed last week and am pretty chuffed with the
results: http://speedtest.net/result/1959217083.png
The engineers replace the old faceplate with a new one which has two
outlets, one for the phone and one for the modem.
The modem supplied was a Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B with Openreach
branding.
See it he http://goo.gl/u6UYx
This is mounted on the wall as close to the new face plate as possible,
(About 2 inches in my case), the supplied cable (which I think has RJ11
connectors) is about 2m long:-( The modem requires an AC socket for its
wall wart power supply.

Also supplied is a BT Home Hub 3.

As for the connection between the two:
The Huawei modem has a standard RJ45 socket and the Home Hub 3 also has
an RJ45 and I have just tried replacing the supplied short cable with a
10m Cat5e and this worked OK, so the short answer is yes it appears to
use a standard cat5e network cable.

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/
Old May 21st 12, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Mon, 21 May 2012 18:57:11 +0100, David Gibson ]
wrote:

Im thinking of getting BT Infinity. AIUI there a fibre optic box of some
sort, and a router box. I need to set up some cabling in advance, as I
want the router to be at a different location to the fibre optic box.
Can somebody tell me the type of cable that connects the two? I.e. is
it a standard Ethernet cable or is it the sort of cable you would use to
connect a phone socket to your broadband router? (I forget the name, but
it has "smaller " connectors).

Mine (Zen using BT line) has the modem and router together and the
router linked to the computer elsewhere using an ethernet cable. I'm
not sure why you would need to separate the modem and the router
(unless to have the router better placed for wireless distribution, I
suppose).
Old May 21st 12, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

UnsteadyKen wrote:

David Gibson wrote...

[...]

[snip]

The supplied cable is RJ11-to-RJ11.

The faceplate "modem" socket will actually take a RJ45 plug.

But your picture of the modem shows a socket for an RJ11 connector
marked DSL. In this it is similar to an ADSL modem, or the ADSL input
on a combined modem/router for ADSL.

You can implement this connection with a long Ethernet cable, but at the
router/modem end you would require an Ethernet back-to-back adapter then
the short RJ11-to-RJ11 cable to complete the connection.

Your configuration with the modem adjacent to the faceplate is more
conventional and will work well. The modem to router connection uses
Ethernet so is limited to 100 feet.

--
Graham J

Old May 21st 12, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

On 21/05/2012 18:57, David Gibson wrote:
Im thinking of getting BT Infinity. AIUI there a fibre optic box of some
sort, and a router box. I need to set up some cabling in advance, as I
want the router to be at a different location to the fibre optic box.

As others have said its actually a VHDSL modem that sits near the master
socket, and a conventional router. The two are linked via a Cat5 cable
with 100baseTX running over it.

Can somebody tell me the type of cable that connects the two? I.e. is
it a standard Ethernet

Well there are lots of "Standard Ethernet Cables" (for example those for
10base5, 10base2, 10baseT etc). I believe this is 100baseTX which is
probably the most common kind at present (but I bet there is still a lot
of 10baset out there) but if the go much faster they will be needing
1000base.

Both of these standards will work over CAT5 cable, although 1000baseT
uses some extra tricks to get the speed up.

cable or is it the sort of cable you would use to
connect a phone socket to your broadband router? (I forget the name, but
it has "smaller " connectors).

However I don't believe the engineer will install this with the devices
separated by more than a couple of meters. Possibly best to do the split
AFTER the install.

If I was BT I would want to insist it was the provided cable that was used.

Old May 21st 12, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

David Gibson wrote:
Im thinking of getting BT Infinity. AIUI there a fibre optic box of some
sort, and a router box. I need to set up some cabling in advance, as I
want the router to be at a different location to the fibre optic box.
Can somebody tell me the type of cable that connects the two? I.e. is
it a standard Ethernet cable or is it the sort of cable you would use to
connect a phone socket to your broadband router? (I forget the name, but
it has "smaller " connectors).

RJ10 ITYM

IIRC the connection between the modem (no fibre to the premises: IIRC
is VDSL over copper) and the router is straight RJ45 terminated
ethernet. It is for cable modems anyway.

So use cat 5 in the wall somewhere.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old May 21st 12, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

UnsteadyKen wrote:
David Gibson wrote...

Im thinking of getting BT Infinity. AIUI there a fibre optic box of some
sort, and a router box. I need to set up some cabling in advance, as I
want the router to be at a different location to the fibre optic box.
Can somebody tell me the type of cable that connects the two? I.e. is
it a standard Ethernet cable or is it the sort of cable you would use to
connect a phone socket to your broadband router? (I forget the name, but
it has "smaller " connectors).

I had Infinity installed last week and am pretty chuffed with the
results: http://speedtest.net/result/1959217083.png

I hate you. I'd die for 7 Mbps upstream..

Old May 22nd 12, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Mon, 21 May 2012 20:14:00 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

David Gibson wrote:
Im thinking of getting BT Infinity. AIUI there a fibre optic box of some
sort

Not quite, the fibre doesn't enter your house, it terminates in the
green street cabinet (hence FTTC) what enters your house is the copper
phoneline just as with ADSL. They will fit a different type of face
plate and a VDSL modem.

and a router box.

If you really are buying BT Infinity (rather than FTTC from another
provider, are you made of money?) then will provide an Home Hub.

Use a decent ISP. Avoid BT broadband, they are dreadful.

Old May 22nd 12, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Gibson

In article "BT infinity cable question" in uk.telecom.broadband, on
Mon, 21 May 2012 Scott writes

wrote:

Im thinking of getting BT Infinity. AIUI there a fibre optic box of some
sort, and a router box. I need to set up some cabling in advance, as I
want the router to be at a different location to the fibre optic box.
Can somebody tell me the type of cable that connects the two? I.e. is
it a standard Ethernet cable or is it the sort of cable you would use to
connect a phone socket to your broadband router? (I forget the name, but
it has "smaller " connectors).

Mine (Zen using BT line) has the modem and router together and the
router linked to the computer elsewhere using an ethernet cable. I'm
not sure why you would need to separate the modem and the router
(unless to have the router better placed for wireless distribution, I
suppose).

My office is not by the front door where the phone comes in :-) and I
have several desktop devices that I use for work and which are plugged
into my router. I therefore thought that the best place for my BT Home
Hub would be on my desk, as it is now. Although, I suppose the correct
solution is to buy an expansion card for my PC ... grumble.

Thanks to everyone for your answers. I'll pop into town and get a cable.
My original intention was to plumb this in, under the floor, where the
existing cable goes but perhaps I'll just leave it trailing across the
floor and down the stairs till after everything's working.

In article "BT infinity cable question" in uk.telecom.broadband, on
Tue, 22 May 2012 Mark writes

Use a decent ISP. Avoid BT broadband, they are dreadful.

I chose BT as a path of least resistance, really.

Aside: There are certainly some annoyances. I have just installed BT
Broadband at my mothers house 100 miles away, and have discovered (to my
surprise) that the nice Home Hub they provided does not allow remote
login, which has meant several trips to reconfigure its port forwarding
for the various devices Ive got attached to it. Also, Ive not managed to
get access to the claimed "Digital Vault" at all. But these are other
topics.