Lost broadband but no news

Old May 23rd 12, 07:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Pinnell

Default Lost broadband but no news

Yesterday 22nd May at around 0800 I lost my BT Broadband connection.
Restarting my router didn't fix it so (on my smartphone) I looked for a
network status report at sites like
http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status
But I found nothing relevant.

I then joined friends for the day, several of whom from areas such as East
Grinstead, Forest Row and Crowborough had all lost their broadband
connection too.

Four hours later at around 1200 I tried the above page and a couple of
others but there was still no news. The only 'issue' appeared to be about
the 'Lerwick node', which I assume could have no bearing.

The connection was OK again when I returned at 1700.

Was I looking in the right place? Is there ANY page where I can expect a
prompt report of any server breakdown? Even better, does any provider
automatically issue emails to its customers when the service fails in that
customer's area?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old May 23rd 12, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

This is par for the course for BT. I have a handful of customers with
BT, and monitor their internet connections for reliability. Serveral
times a year a few of them will lose connectivity simultaneously; and in
some cases customers with other ISPs in the same area will also fail at
the same time.

Generally the routers will report good ADSL sync but no PPP connection.

While the other ISPs involved in the failure will generally know that
there is a problem, BT as a rule will not. The exception is when the
problem is so widespread that you can't get through to BT - you simply
get ring tone, rather than their time-wasting recorded messages. At
least then y ou can presume that BT are aware of a problem ....

--
Graham J

Old May 23rd 12, 09:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 23/05/2012 07:12, Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

I imagine emails would be a pretty futile attempt at announcing
problems, if your (home) BB is down you're unlikely to be able to read
your email. Yes, smartphones are common, but not ubiquitous.

Also, getting an email warning you of problems *after* having had no BB
for several hours might smack of incompetence.

An email apology would be better, but would highlight problems you
weren't aware of and give a worse impression of the service. Not
something an ISP would want to achieve - not even BT!

Old May 23rd 12, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Pinnell

Graham J [email protected] wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

Thanks both. I'll try those links in future.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Old May 23rd 12, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

chris wrote:
[...]

Andrews & Arnold send a text message when their ADSL service fails. So
far I've only seen these when it is the ADSL connection itself that
fails - this is on a very long line in an electrically noisy environment
where occasional failures are to be expected. I've never known them
lose the PPP session, so I don't know what report I would see then.

BT could also send text messages when your line drops ...

--
Graham J

Old May 23rd 12, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Chris wrote:
An email apology would be better, but would highlight problems you
weren't aware of and give a worse impression of the service. Not
something an ISP would want to achieve - not even BT!

Not necessarily. I wouldn't think any the worse of a company if they
occasionally sent an email saying something like "We've just fixed a
problem that may have affected you. Sorry for the inconvenience" (with
perhaps a web link for more details).

Even if a particular problem hadn't afected me, the impression it would
give me would be of a company that was on the ball, and that if
anything should happen that did affect me I would be told the truth
about it. Nothing wrong with a bit of honesty.

Rod.
--
Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Old May 23rd 12, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 23/05/2012 11:09, Roderick Stewart wrote:
In , Chris wrote:
An email apology would be better, but would highlight problems you
weren't aware of and give a worse impression of the service. Not
something an ISP would want to achieve - not even BT!

Not necessarily. I wouldn't think any the worse of a company if they
occasionally sent an email saying something like "We've just fixed a
problem that may have affected you. Sorry for the inconvenience" (with
perhaps a web link for more details).

Even if a particular problem hadn't afected me, the impression it would
give me would be of a company that was on the ball, and that if
anything should happen that did affect me I would be told the truth
about it. Nothing wrong with a bit of honesty.

Although I'm of the same opinion as you, I imagine for many people that
starting to receive emails about problems they never knew about may
raise doubts. Something akin to, 'I never got any of these last year.
Things must be getting worse.'

The emails would have to be carefully written.

Old May 23rd 12, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

In , Chris wrote:
[...]

I am not so sure.

As head honcho technical buck stops here I eventually got an exasperated
customer on the line who was complaining that my staff couldn't tell him
how long it would take to resolve an email problem.

"That's because they don't know, and nor do I".

"At last, honesty" he said. "Will it be fixed by 3pm?"

"I can't assure you that it will"

"Fine, I will send a fax of this contract that has to be at my lawyers
by then, instead. That's ALL I wanted, and needed, to know".

Sometimes an honest 'we are screwed and we have no definite time to
resolve;' is more useful than mealy mouthed assurances and/or no
information at all.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old May 24th 12, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

In , Chris wrote:
[...]

+1. I'm sure we all heard too many of those empty assurances to
believe them anyway.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old May 24th 12, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Hayes

In , Chris wrote:
An email apology would be better, but would highlight problems you
weren't aware of and give a worse impression of the service. Not
something an ISP would want to achieve - not even BT!

[snip]

I am not so sure.

As head honcho technical buck stops here I eventually got an exasperated
customer on the line who was complaining that my staff couldn't tell him
how long it would take to resolve an email problem.

"That's because they don't know, and nor do I".

"At last, honesty" he said. "Will it be fixed by 3pm?"

"I can't assure you that it will"

"Fine, I will send a fax of this contract that has to be at my lawyers
by then, instead. That's ALL I wanted, and needed, to know".

Sometimes an honest 'we are screwed and we have no definite time to
resolve;' is more useful than mealy mouthed assurances and/or no
information at all.

I've bored many over the years with this tale but:

There I am at the gate in Atlanta, waiting for a Delta flight coming in
from Baltimore or some such and continuing on to Tampa at 8:00. A friend
will be meeting me there. Delta Airlines are perfect - they are never
late!

Anyway, 8:00 is fast approaching and there's no plane. I go to ask the
bloke at the gate so I can phone my friend and say "Take your time".

The answer: "If the screen says it's going at 8, it's going at 8."

It went at about 8:45 along with any regard I might ever have had for
Delta Airlines.

--
Steve Hayes, South Wales. UK - remove colours from address