Skype to Giffgaff (UK mobile no.) = expensive

Old May 28th 12, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
CJB

Default Skype to Giffgaff (UK mobile no.) = expensive

WOW!!!! I've just made a call on my Notebook at the South Bank (free
wifi) using Skype credit to a local Giffgaff no. Skype charged me
1.50 for a mere 4 minutes!!!!

Since MS took over Skype the costs have rocketed - and the quality is
a dreadful as ever.

Are there cheaper ways of calling via VOIP from a Notebook on wifi to
a UK mobile no.?

CJB.
Old May 28th 12, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
CJB

On May 28, 3:20*pm, CJB wrote:
WOW!!!! I've just made a call on my Notebook at the South Bank (free
wifi) using Skype credit to a local Giffgaff no. Skype charged me
1.50 for a mere 4 minutes!!!!

Since MS took over Skype the costs have rocketed - and the quality is
a dreadful as ever.

Are there cheaper ways of calling via VOIP from a Notebook on wifi to
a UK mobile no.?

CJB.

Here's the actual transaction;

May 28 15:07 +44giffgaffno , United Kingdom - Mobile - O2 Call 0.149
(0.17 with VAT) 06:06 min (rounded up to 7 mins) = 1.120

So the charge was 17p per minute. + 8p connection

On the Skype prices page it states:

United Kingdom - Mobile - O2 14.9p (no VAT) 17.1p (ncl. VAT) + 8p
connection fee

SO THAT'S EXPENSIVE AND NOT TO BE REPEATED.

CJB.
Old May 28th 12, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
David Hearn

On 28/05/2012 15:20, CJB wrote:
WOW!!!! I've just made a call on my Notebook at the South Bank (free
wifi) using Skype credit to a local Giffgaff no. Skype charged me
1.50 for a mere 4 minutes!!!!

Since MS took over Skype the costs have rocketed - and the quality is
a dreadful as ever.

Are there cheaper ways of calling via VOIP from a Notebook on wifi to
a UK mobile no.?

CJB.

Skype say these are their current charges to call a UK mobile number:

United Kingdom - Mobile - Hutchison3G 14.9p
United Kingdom - Mobile - O2 14.9p
United Kingdom - Mobile - Orange 14.9p
United Kingdom - Mobile - Others 14.9p
United Kingdom - Mobile - T-Mobile 14.9p
United Kingdom - Mobile - Vodafone 14.9p

What number range were you calling?

Old May 28th 12, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

In uk.telecom.mobile CJB wrote:
Are there cheaper ways of calling via VOIP from a Notebook on wifi to
a UK mobile no.?

Yes!

Voipcheap.co.uk is quoting 2.3p/min inc. VAT; CallPirates.com is 1.8p/min
(inc.); and VoipJumper.com is 2.2p/min (inc.). Each suggests you download
and install their own application, but none of them really requires
this. However, it does make it nice and straightforward. If you have a
preferred SIP application you can use that for calling, as well.

The cheapest rate I've seen today is 1.6p/min (inc.) from VoipYo, but
that appears to require its own application installed on a smartphone.

(All rates taken from respective websites, and linked from the comparison
site at http://progx.ch/home-voip-prixbetamax-3-4-2.html)

Chris
Old May 29th 12, 01:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
SB

On May 28, 4:51*pm, Chris Davies wrote:
In uk.telecom.mobile CJB wrote:

Are there cheaper ways of calling via VOIP from a Notebook on wifi to
a UK mobile no.?

Yes!

Voipcheap.co.uk is quoting 2.3p/min inc. VAT; CallPirates.com is 1.8p/min
(inc.); and VoipJumper.com is 2.2p/min (inc.). Each suggests you download
and install their own application, but none of them really requires
this. However, it does make it nice and straightforward. If you have a
preferred SIP application you can use that for calling, as well.

The cheapest rate I've seen today is 1.6p/min (inc.) from VoipYo, but
that appears to require its own application installed on a smartphone.

(All rates taken from respective websites, and linked from the comparison
site athttp://progx.ch/home-voip-prixbetamax-3-4-2.html)

Chris

Thank you for those tips.

Skype seems to be charging as much as many mobile telcos. And the call
quality of Skype leaves much to be desired for the price. Also if a
call drops out and then has to be reconnected Skye charges another
connection fee. Not good. But then think who the current owner is!!.

CJB.
Old May 29th 12, 05:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
David Woolley

SB wrote:

Skype seems to be charging as much as many mobile telcos. And the call
quality of Skype leaves much to be desired for the price. Also if a#

A significant part of the cost of a call to a UK mobile will be the
interconnect charge from the destination network. That will apply to
everyone. Skype may not be big enough to negotiate a particularly good
deal, and the mobile networks may want to discourage Skype.

Note that in the US, this cost is born by the called party, so would be
independent of where the call originated.

Old May 29th 12, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Brian Mc

In uk.telecom.broadband Roderick Stewart wrote:
: So far, the only thing anyone in my family has used Skype for is video
: conversations with distant relatives. As this is absolutely free, it
: seems very good value no matter who owns it.

When I was in Canada recently I found Skype-out to a UK landline (at ~4p/pm)
very useful - when compared to the 110p/pm that Orange would have charged
for the same calsl using my roaming mobile!

Old May 29th 12, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Roland Perry

In message , at 12:57:10 on Tue, 29 May
2012, Loony remarked:
Wait until the new Skype managers have finished their big tasks. Then
they will very likely put the squeeze on the non-payers.

That'll be the final nail in the coffin then. Most of my Skype activity
(IM) has moved from Skype to Twitter DM, anyway.
--
Roland Perry