Using a Secondhand(new) Plusnet Thomson router

Old May 29th 12, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

Default Using a Secondhand(new) Plusnet Thomson router

I'm a customer of Plusnet and up until recently was
using a Voyager modem, which being a light user
was quite satisfactory for my purposes.

Two weeks ago I bought a new Thomson router on eBay
from another
Plusnet customer.

I've only just realised that despite never having been used
this router has been set up by Plusnet with the previous
owners Internet username - specifically to function
as the PPP username. ( I assume this is done to
prevent more than one router being connected to
the one billed phoneline)

As a consequence there are no Usage Stats ( by way
of bar charts ) on my PlusNet user page. I'm now wondering
if my usage is now showing up on the sellers Plusnet
user page.

Going through the Thomson Gateway GUI there seem no
way to change just this username.
The only solution appears to be a factory reset.

Except that the factory default which the router will
return to is given on the Gateway specs page as the
Plusnet factory default. Which will presumably
already includes the previous owners username.

With the number of new/secondhand Plusnet routers
for sale on eBay - with prices from 10-40 I'm
wondering if this has cropped up before.

Thank you for your time.

James

Old May 29th 12, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 29/05/2012 20:46, James wrote:
[...]

You might get more replies if you were to post this on the
plusnet.service.customer-feedback newsgroup, James.

George
Old May 29th 12, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"George Weston" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks George. I've also posted something similar on a Plusnet
Community Forum.

James

Old May 30th 12, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

James wrote:
Going through the Thomson Gateway GUI there seem no
way to change just this username.
The only solution appears to be a factory reset.

What model of router is it? On the TG582 there's an option when the
username and password are editable. Can't remember where in the menus it
is, but it does exist (not that I tried it).

Theo
Old May 30th 12, 01:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
James wrote:
Going through the Thomson Gateway GUI there seem no
way to change just this username.
The only solution appears to be a factory reset.

What model of router is it? On the TG582 there's an option when the
username and password are editable. Can't remember where in the menus it
is, but it does exist (not that I tried it).

Theo

Hello Theo, thanks for replying.

the router is a TG585 v8

In the Toolbox - User Management menu there is indeed an option to add
or change the router username and password. Which is set to admin
by default There is also an option to add extra users.

However this is the username and password for the router itself.

What I need to change is the username for the Internet Connection
which is the same as the user's Plusnet username, which normally ends
in @plusdsl.net. In order to change this I would presumably also
need to know the password which is blanked out.

James

Old May 30th 12, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On 29/05/12 20:46, James wrote:
[...]

This is based on a 585v7.

There is an option to backup the settings to a file. Edit the file and
you can change the @plsdsl.net entries:
[ env.ini ]
set var=ST_PPP_USER

[ ppp.ini ]
ifconfig intf=Internet password=string
status=enabled

You then reload that data from the edited file.

As the router is normally setup using the wizard (which may be available
through the interface), I would suggest deleting the username and
password data, which should cause the wizard to start when you log in to
the router. You can always recover by reloading the saved version of
data and continue using the original owners account (until they leave
Plusnet) :-)

My 585v7 developed a fault, so I replaced it with an "11n" router for
the extra LAN speed.

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old May 30th 12, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

James wrote:
In the Toolbox - User Management menu there is indeed an option to add
or change the router username and password. Which is set to admin
by default There is also an option to add extra users.

However this is the username and password for the router itself.

What I need to change is the username for the Internet Connection
which is the same as the user's Plusnet username, which normally ends
in @plusdsl.net. In order to change this I would presumably also
need to know the password which is blanked out.

That's what I meant, the DSL username/password. On the TG582 these are
editable (I think) - the password is indeed blanked out, so if you change it
you can't change it back unless you know what it was. But replacing them
with details for another ISP should be no problem.

Theo
Old May 30th 12, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 29/05/2012 20:46, James wrote:
I'm a customer of Plusnet and up until recently was
using a Voyager modem, which being a light user
was quite satisfactory for my purposes.

Two weeks ago I bought a new Thomson router on eBay
from another
Plusnet customer.

Oh dear. Most of our routers rely on TR069 and have their serial number
mapped explicitly to a customer's account. This means that even if you
factory reset it, chances are it will repopulate itself with the other
user's details.

I've only just realised that despite never having been used
this router has been set up by Plusnet with the previous
owners Internet username - specifically to function
as the PPP username. ( I assume this is done to
prevent more than one router being connected to
the one billed phoneline)

It's done solely for ease of setup, and to allow us access to certain
information via the TR069 interface should it ever be required.

As a consequence there are no Usage Stats ( by way
of bar charts ) on my PlusNet user page. I'm now wondering
if my usage is now showing up on the sellers Plusnet
user page.

No, you're just tucking into their usage allowance. If they had a static
IP assigned to their account then this would cause data transfer
problems for both of you.

Going through the Thomson Gateway GUI there seem no
way to change just this username.
The only solution appears to be a factory reset.

Access the GUI, hit disconnect and then re-enter your username.

Except that the factory default which the router will
return to is given on the Gateway specs page as the
Plusnet factory default. Which will presumably
already includes the previous owners username.

It will default to which will then connect to our ACS
server, pull down the previous owner's account credentials and
repopulate the PPP connection to use that.

With the number of new/secondhand Plusnet routers
for sale on eBay - with prices from 10-40 I'm
wondering if this has cropped up before.

Yep, I've seen it happen before. If you can provide me with the serial
number of the router (should start 'CP'), then I'lll delete the records
from the ACS server which should stop this happening.

--
www.plus.net
Old May 30th 12, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/05/2012 20:46, James wrote:
I'm a customer of Plusnet and up until recently was
using a Voyager modem, which being a light user
was quite satisfactory for my purposes.

Two weeks ago I bought a new Thomson router on eBay
from another
Plusnet customer.

Oh dear. Most of our routers rely on TR069 and have their serial number
mapped explicitly to a customer's account. This means that even if you
factory reset it, chances are it will repopulate itself with the other
user's details.

That indeed is what's happened.

As detailed on the Plusnet Forum in a follow-uop I tries a rest
and it did indeed reopoulate itself with the previous username.

I've only just realised that despite never having been used
this router has been set up by Plusnet with the previous
owners Internet username - specifically to function
as the PPP username. ( I assume this is done to
prevent more than one router being connected to
the one billed phoneline)

It's done solely for ease of setup, and to allow us access to certain
information via the TR069 interface should it ever be required.

As a consequence there are no Usage Stats ( by way
of bar charts ) on my PlusNet user page. I'm now wondering
if my usage is now showing up on the sellers Plusnet
user page.

No, you're just tucking into their usage allowance. If they had a static
IP assigned to their account then this would cause data transfer
problems for both of you.

This might also account for the speed problem I'm also
encountering.

This speed problem first surfaced 3 weeks ago with the Voyager
modem I was previously using - Basically being a low user I
was avoiding being penalised for frequent disconnections
but this changed as soon as my usage increased.

Maybe this would have sorted itself out by now with the router
- connected for 9 days up until this morning - had it not
been for this other problem

Going through the Thomson Gateway GUI there seem no
way to change just this username.
The only solution appears to be a factory reset.

Access the GUI, hit disconnect and then re-enter your username.

Unfortunatley as with resets this doesn't work. The username is
bypassed. The only time I've ever encountered passswords or
user names of any kind is the password to access the Gateway
GUI. I'm on ethernet.

Except that the factory default which the router will
return to is given on the Gateway specs page as the
Plusnet factory default. Which will presumably
already includes the previous owners username.

It will default to which will then connect to our ACS
server, pull down the previous owner's account credentials and
repopulate the PPP connection to use that.

Indeed so.

With the number of new/secondhand Plusnet routers
for sale on eBay - with prices from 10-40 I'm
wondering if this has cropped up before.

Yep, I've seen it happen before. If you can provide me with the serial
number of the router (should start 'CP'), then I'lll delete the records
from the ACS server which should stop this happening.

Thanks very much for that, Bob.

I'll email you the serial number straight away.

I'll email it to

with For the attn of Bob Pullen Router Serial Number
in the subject line.

In any case its not exactly the end of the world. More my fault
for being too tight/clever by half in buying routers on eBay.

I can always buy one direct from yourselves, which is probably
what I should done in the first place.

James

www.plus.net

Old May 30th 12, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Wed, 30 May 2012 11:22:40 +0100, Plusnet Support Team
wrote:

On 29/05/2012 20:46, James wrote:
I'm a customer of Plusnet and up until recently was
using a Voyager modem, which being a light user
was quite satisfactory for my purposes.

Two weeks ago I bought a new Thomson router on eBay
from another
Plusnet customer.

Oh dear. Most of our routers rely on TR069 and have their serial number
mapped explicitly to a customer's account. This means that even if you
factory reset it, chances are it will repopulate itself with the other
user's details.

I did wonder if it was TR069.

Yep, I've seen it happen before. If you can provide me with the serial
number of the router (should start 'CP'), then I'lll delete the records
from the ACS server which should stop this happening.

That's handy to know.

BTW: Did you get a chance to send me the Zyxel (fibre) router yet?
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?