"Disappointing" speeds

Old June 4th 12, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

Default "Disappointing" speeds

Moved over to BT Infinity Option 2 about 4 weeks ago, after being given a
quoted speed estimate of 38.6Mbps, which was borne out by the first week's
sped test results. But after a couple of weeks, speeds yoyo'd, dropping
down to 9Mbps and have now stabilised at around 30-31Mbps.

Now, I do recognise that this is still way faster than I was enjoying with
my previous supplier. However, it's getting on for a third below what was
quoted by BT in the initial order.

Do I have any comeback, or must I live with this?

Old June 4th 12, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 20:04:00 +0100, "Bob" wrote:

Moved over to BT Infinity Option 2 about 4 weeks ago, after being given a
quoted speed estimate of 38.6Mbps, which was borne out by the first week's
sped test results. But after a couple of weeks, speeds yoyo'd, dropping
down to 9Mbps and have now stabilised at around 30-31Mbps.

Now, I do recognise that this is still way faster than I was enjoying with
my previous supplier. However, it's getting on for a third below what was
quoted by BT in the initial order.

Do I have any comeback, or must I live with this?

I'm with Zen - getting 72 Mbps. Still too slow I know so I have
requested to take part in the 300 Mbps trials.
Old June 4th 12, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hugh

In message , Bob
writes
Moved over to BT Infinity Option 2 about 4 weeks ago, after being given
a quoted speed estimate of 38.6Mbps, which was borne out by the first
week's sped test results. But after a couple of weeks, speeds yoyo'd,
dropping down to 9Mbps and have now stabilised at around 30-31Mbps.

Now, I do recognise that this is still way faster than I was enjoying
with my previous supplier. However, it's getting on for a third below
what was quoted by BT in the initial order.

Do I have any comeback, or must I live with this?

I'm in a similar situation. Promised 38.6 - NOT up to 38.6.
Must do a proper test but when the openreach engineer first tried it was
getting about 20mbps, and that is what I have subsequently seen.
--
hugh

Old June 4th 12, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Bob wrote:
Moved over to BT Infinity Option 2 about 4 weeks ago, after being given
a quoted speed estimate of 38.6Mbps, which was borne out by the first
week's sped test results. But after a couple of weeks, speeds yoyo'd,
dropping down to 9Mbps and have now stabilised at around 30-31Mbps.

Now, I do recognise that this is still way faster than I was enjoying
with my previous supplier. However, it's getting on for a third below
what was quoted by BT in the initial order.

Do I have any comeback, or must I live with this?

I was proised 2Mbps. Now getting 5.5Mbps...

Not sure but there may be something in the copper to the cab the
*******s can frig with

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old June 5th 12, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Bob wrote:
Moved over to BT Infinity Option 2 about 4 weeks ago, after being
given a quoted speed estimate of 38.6Mbps, which was borne out by the
first week's sped test results. But after a couple of weeks, speeds
yoyo'd, dropping down to 9Mbps and have now stabilised at around
30-31Mbps.

Now, I do recognise that this is still way faster than I was enjoying
with my previous supplier. However, it's getting on for a third below
what was quoted by BT in the initial order.

Do I have any comeback, or must I live with this?

I was proised 2Mbps. Now getting 5.5Mbps...

Not sure but there may be something in the copper to the cab the
*******s can frig with

The normal configuration for FTTC is an Ethernet router with a VDSL
modem. But you can't get any useful information out of the VDSL modem -
there's probably a light on it to say it has sync, but that's all.

However a router such as the Vigor 2850 contains a VDSL modem, and
according to the manual might return information about the up & down
speeds, SNR margin and loop attenuation. There may be other routers
with built-in VDSL modems, and which show details about the line
performance.

These parameters would be useful in assessing the performance of the
copper path to the fibre cabinet.

It is the copper path which is susceptible to RFI, crosstalk, incorrect
wiring (such as a split pair), badly made joints, ingress of water, and
all the other things that we know also affect ADSL services. Just
because the copper run for VDSL may be no more than a few hundred metres
does not necessarily mean that it is any less likely to suffer from
these problems.

Does anybody know whether the equivalent to a BRAS profile is applied to
a VDSL service? If it is, an intermittent fault in the copper path
might severely reduce the actual data rate.

--
Graham J
Old June 5th 12, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rousseau

Bob wrote:
[...]

as does the Fritz!Box 7390 which has had many favourable reviews (see tbb
and community.bt.com for Infinity to see the stats available from the box).
Available he http://www.momilc.com/en/20-avm-frit...wlan-7390.html

I'm considering getting one after my 10-day training period is over.
Old June 5th 12, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham J wrote:

Does anybody know whether the equivalent to a BRAS profile is applied to
a VDSL service? If it is, an intermittent fault in the copper path
might severely reduce the actual data rate.

I THINK that they operate on a 'BRAS is as high as synch speed is' policy.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old June 5th 12, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Champ

On 04/06/2012 20:04, Bob wrote:
Moved over to BT Infinity Option 2 about 4 weeks ago,

Failed to move over to Infinity 18 months ago after they slipped the
release date. We are still waiting.

A lot of us would be glad of anything like that speed, stop moaning!

However... I'll bet the contract is like the ADSL ones, and you get what
you get. Which is why my mum's connection is under a meg.

Andy
Old June 5th 12, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Bob (for it is he) wrote:

speed estimate of 38.6Mbps

now stabilised at around 30-31Mbps.

Do I have any comeback, or must I live with this?

Comeback for what, exactly? Had the estimate been 30Mbps rather than 38Mbps,
what would you have done differently?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:39:50 up 146 days, 12 min, 6 users, load average: 0.50, 0.52, 0.41

Old June 5th 12, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 20:26:11 +0100
Andy Champ wrote:

On 04/06/2012 20:04, Bob wrote:
Moved over to BT Infinity Option 2 about 4 weeks ago,

Failed to move over to Infinity 18 months ago after they slipped the
release date. We are still waiting.

A lot of us would be glad of anything like that speed, stop moaning!

However... I'll bet the contract is like the ADSL ones, and you get
what you get. Which is why my mum's connection is under a meg.

Andy

At least you had a date! We are still in the 'No date available yet'
part of the country. I can drive to London in an hour and a half, yet
BT seems to think we don't exist.
--
Davey.