BT blocking my pop3 server

Old June 7th 12, 02:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

Default BT blocking my pop3 server

Anybody know who to contact at BT to get my own server added to the
allowed SMTP domain list?
They are blocking my own mail server and my Bt IP address is now on the
PBL...
Old June 7th 12, 02:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

tigger wrote:
Anybody know who to contact at BT to get my own server added to the
allowed SMTP domain list?
They are blocking my own mail server and my Bt IP address is now on the
PBL...

If you want to run your own mail server rent a virtual machine

Direct SMTP receiving is usually firewalled out of most consumer ISPs.

And few will recieve from them directly either - too much spam

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old June 7th 12, 03:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cummins

We were about to embark at Dover, when lid (The Natural
Philosopher) came up to me and whispered:

Direct SMTP receiving is usually firewalled out of most
consumer ISPs.

But not BT, surprisingly. Nor TalkTalk.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

---- If it's below this line, I didn't write it ----
Old June 7th 12, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Direct SMTP receiving is usually firewalled out of most consumer ISPs.

I've found it to the be exception rather than the rule.

What was Freeserve used to insert a transparent SMTP proxy, but I've not
come across any other ISP in the UK that blocks or modifies SMTP. I've
also been running my own SOHO mail server for a number of years across
three (IIRC) different ISPs and not really had any significant problems.

And few will receive from them directly either - too much spam

IME this mostly depends on whether you're on a dynamic address or a
static one.

Chris
Old June 7th 12, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Davies wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Direct SMTP receiving is usually firewalled out of most consumer ISPs.

I've found it to the be exception rather than the rule.

What was Freeserve used to insert a transparent SMTP proxy, but I've not
come across any other ISP in the UK that blocks or modifies SMTP. I've
also been running my own SOHO mail server for a number of years across
three (IIRC) different ISPs and not really had any significant problems.

And few will receive from them directly either - too much spam

IME this mostly depends on whether you're on a dynamic address or a
static one.

There is a tendency by many spam filters to block whole ranges that are
assigned to DSL.

Chris

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old June 7th 12, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
There is a tendency by many spam filters to block whole ranges that are
assigned to DSL.

Empirically, I can't say I've particularly noticed
Chris
Old June 7th 12, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Davies wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
There is a tendency by many spam filters to block whole ranges that are
assigned to DSL.

Empirically, I can't say I've particularly noticed
Chris

Perhaps you don't run a spam filter on an SMTP server.

e.g. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10...mhaus_a2b_row/

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old June 7th 12, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"tigger" wrote in message
Anybody know who to contact at BT to get my own server added to the
allowed SMTP domain list?
They are blocking my own mail server and my Bt IP address is now on the
PBL...

???????

Ever since I have used DSL services I have always used my own SMTP (on a
virtual machine) server, that includes BT (which I now have the pleasure of
using).

I would suggest it's not BT who are blocking your access but rather it is
the way you have configured your software. If you are sure that BT is
actually blocking then check to see if your server can use another port for
access (but I would check your config. first)

--
Kraftee

Old June 7th 12, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Chris Davies wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
There is a tendency by many spam filters to block whole ranges that are
assigned to DSL.

Empirically, I can't say I've particularly noticed
Chris

Perhaps you don't run a spam filter on an SMTP server.

Yes, I do (along with greylisting, DKIM checking, and other stuff), and
inbound dynamic xDSL stuff is (rightly) hit hard by SpamAssassin. However,
I'm on a static xDSL and even though it's firmly in consumer-land rather
than business-corner, have very rarely had a problem outbound (or inbound)
in several years.

Chris
Old June 7th 12, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

kraftee writted thus:

"tigger" wrote in message
Anybody know who to contact at BT to get my own server added to the
allowed SMTP domain list?
They are blocking my own mail server and my Bt IP address is now on the
PBL...

???????

Ever since I have used DSL services I have always used my own SMTP (on a
virtual machine) server, that includes BT (which I now have the pleasure
of using).

I would suggest it's not BT who are blocking your access but rather it
is the way you have configured your software. If you are sure that BT
is actually blocking then check to see if your server can use another
port for access (but I would check your config. first)

Yes, it seems I needed to SMTP on port 587 instead of port 25, that gives
the proper authentication, dodges Spamhaus etc and is now (mostly)
working again.
I wish they would tell us these things before we get upset and start
complaining!