any special steps when using N-connectors outdoors?

Old June 7th 12, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jkn

Default any special steps when using N-connectors outdoors?

Hi There
hopefully this isn't too off-topic. I am setting up a outdoor wifi
antenna, and am running a cable back inside the building to connect to
the access point.

The cable will have an N-type screw connector at the antenna end, and
an SMA connector at the other.

I am familiar with crimping up connectors of varying types - N-type,
BNC, etc., but only for indoor cables. I haven't been able to find out
anything about extra precautions or procedures when the cable &
connector is outdoors. I have seen one cable which looked like it has
some hot glue on the outermost crimp...

Do I need to take any special precautions or fit anything extra? A
link to any information would be much appreciated

[Oh, the External Antenna does come with a surge arrestor which I will
be fitting ;-) ]

Thanks a lot
J^n
Old June 7th 12, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

jkn wrote:
Hi There
hopefully this isn't too off-topic. I am setting up a outdoor wifi
antenna, and am running a cable back inside the building to connect to
the access point.

The cable will have an N-type screw connector at the antenna end, and
an SMA connector at the other.

I am familiar with crimping up connectors of varying types - N-type,
BNC, etc., but only for indoor cables. I haven't been able to find out
anything about extra precautions or procedures when the cable&
connector is outdoors. I have seen one cable which looked like it has
some hot glue on the outermost crimp...

Do I need to take any special precautions or fit anything extra? A
link to any information would be much appreciated

[Oh, the External Antenna does come with a surge arrestor which I will
be fitting ;-) ]

I've only used ready-made cables, but then have wound self-amalgamating
tape around the mated connector assembly - right over the surge arrestor.

I did the sums on all the cable lossses, and specified an antenna which
should have given an adequate signal margin. However the system didn't
work, so I replaced the simple antenna with a higher gain yagi - giving
possibly 10dB more signal. The system then worked.

Since then I've read that the loss figures for the antenna cable are
probably quite optimistic, and the recomendation is to site the access
point inside a waterproof box with the antenna connected by a few
centimetres of cable; and the whole assembly put on whatever pole you
originally envisaged for the antenna. Then connect the access point to
the rest of the network using outdoor grade CAT5 cable.

If the access point uses PoE, so much the better

--
Graham J

Old June 7th 12, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

jkn wrote:

I am familiar with crimping up connectors of varying types - N-type,
BNC, etc., but only for indoor cables. I haven't been able to find out
anything about extra precautions or procedures when the cable&
connector is outdoors.

self-amalgamating tape I'd have thought (stretch it plenty, then wrap it
tightly with plenty of overlap).
Old June 7th 12, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Graham J formulated the question :
Since then I've read that the loss figures for the antenna cable are probably
quite optimistic, and the recomendation is to site the access point inside a
waterproof box with the antenna connected by a few centimetres of cable; and
the whole assembly put on whatever pole you originally envisaged for the
antenna. Then connect the access point to the rest of the network using
outdoor grade CAT5 cable.

That is exactly what I did, but using an homemade Yagi. I also ran the
12v from a wall wart inside, up to the AP, so the mains was all inside.
Worked very well for years and still works.

Self-amalg tape deteriorates under UV, it must be over wrapped with
some other tape for protection. Hot glue if formed around the connector
will seal well onto the cable and has good RF properties.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old June 8th 12, 02:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

Andy Burns wrote:
jkn wrote:

I am familiar with crimping up connectors of varying types - N-type,
BNC, etc., but only for indoor cables. I haven't been able to find
out anything about extra precautions or procedures when the cable&
connector is outdoors.

self-amalgamating tape I'd have thought (stretch it plenty, then wrap
it tightly with plenty of overlap).

With a smear of silicon grease on first

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and 5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk

Old June 8th 12, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jkn

Hi chaps
Thanks a lot for the useful replies:

- when people talk about using self-amalgamating tape ... I guess you
are talking about applying over the whole (mated) assembly?

- useful stuff about siting of the access point, thanks. I will
probably just be using a demostic router on the inside of the mounting
wall to start with, but I can see things getting more elaborate ...

Cheers
J^n
Old June 8th 12, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

jkn (for it is he) wrote:

- when people talk about using self-amalgamating tape ... I guess you
are talking about applying over the whole (mated) assembly?

Yes. Then with another UV-resistant tape on top of that. Screwfix are
reasonably priced for self-amalgamating tape. Also, coax [and Cat5 if
applicable] should be outdoor rated too.

- useful stuff about siting of the access point, thanks. I will
probably just be using a demostic router on the inside of the mounting
wall to start with, but I can see things getting more elaborate ...

Ubiquiti sell reasonably priced outdoor Wifi [and non-Wifi] kit, for access
and bridging.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:32:24 up 148 days, 23:05, 6 users, load average: 0.45, 0.30, 0.38