strange connection problem

Old June 12th 12, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Smith

Default strange connection problem

One of my clients, a small organisation, decided, without consulting me,
to change their ISP to save money, they were previously with BT for many
years with no problems, they are now with a company called onebillnet.
These people supplied a speedtouch modem which I was minded just to bin
and carry on using the netgear which we had been using previously.
Unfortunately the netgear, a DGN1000 and another one, a DG834G, will not
see the line at all, the status page shows up and down speeds of 0 and
absolutely refuses to do anything. I have tried both these routers out
here and they both work perfectly, connecting in a few seconds.
The speedtouch however after a period of about 5 minutes makes a
connection, albeit not a very reliable one, prone to drop for a few
seconds or minutes and then return.
I have spent a number of hours talking to their support to no avail, we
have tried all the tricks, reset the routers, changed cables and
filters, removed the front plate from the socket, no change.
They say that a line test shows no errors on the line, but I must say I
am not very convinced by their answers.
Does anyone here have any ideas, I would be pleased to hear if you do.
Thanks in advance.
--
Martin

replies to newsgroup only please.
Old June 12th 12, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Martin Smith wrote:
[...]

Bill your client for an amount more than they think they've saved by
moving to another ISP, then leve them to it.

Gordon
Old June 12th 12, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Martin Smith wrote:
[...]

http://www.maccodes.co.uk/broadband/on

frankly I cant ever reach onebills website .

If your client wants a one bill system they should go with a smaller
company like IDnet for one, who will charge a bit more, but actually
work and do useful things like provide a static IP address so you can
actually remote support them without having to use dyndns etc etc.

I am unable to confirm whether OneBill are a LLU company or not,. If not
it is very odd that they are unable to provide synch to what is
essentially a bog standard Openreach DSLAM.

It is probably time to inform your client that, if they want you to
support something, it is reasonable to involve you in their purchasing
decision.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people waste man months trying
to save man minutes of costs to their businesses.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old June 12th 12, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Shame you put the new router in the bin you could have seen if that
connected.
My ISP requires their router to be used when getting assistance.
Regards
David

Old June 12th 12, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

It may seem obvious to say it, but as the only thing that has changed
is the ISP, that change is what is causing the problem. In particular,
as the connection worked previously with BT, that suggests that there
is nothing wrong with the hardware all the way back to the exchange,
so why are you wasting your time with faceplates, etc?

Either there is a problem between the exchange and the ISP, or there
is problem configuring the router. As the former would be obvious to
even the dullest support person, probably even the dullest support
person loacated far away in a country such as India, we have to
presume the latter.

I suggest that you check with the ISP exactly what the DSL service
settings should be in the router:
Encapsulation
Multiplexing
VPI/VCI
etc.

Then check what you are told against the settings on the kit supplied
by the ISP, to ensure that you have been informed correctly, then set
up the original kit to be exactly the same.

Old June 12th 12, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Smith

Martin Smith wrote:
[...]

we had a static with BT and have been doing remote backups for years
plus of course I was able to shell into the server for maintenance.

I am unable to confirm whether OneBill are a LLU company or not,. If not
it is very odd that they are unable to provide synch to what is
essentially a bog standard Openreach DSLAM.

It is probably time to inform your client that, if they want you to
support something, it is reasonable to involve you in their purchasing
decision.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people waste man months trying
to save man minutes of costs to their businesses.

a typical problem when your religion is "saving money" and not just
restricted to these people.

Old June 12th 12, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Martin Smith wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people waste man months trying
to save man minutes of costs to their businesses.

a typical problem when your religion is "saving money" and not just
restricted to these people.

But the problem is that it DOESN'T save money.

I am all for saving money. This doesn't.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old June 12th 12, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Smith

On 12/06/2012 17:58, Java Jive wrote:
[...]

we have checked and double checked all this during a couple of lengthy
phone calls, all the settings are as correct as they can be, in fact
they are the default settings on a netgear after a reset and they still
cannot see the line...

Old June 12th 12, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Smith

On 12/06/2012 17:54, David wrote:
Shame you put the new router in the bin you could have seen if that
connected.
My ISP requires their router to be used when getting assistance.
Regards

I did not actually chuck it, it is the speedtouch which takes 5 minutes
to connect...

Old June 24th 12, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 18:19:37 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, The Natural Philosopher disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

But the problem is that it DOESN'T save money.

"Penny wise and pound foolish" springs to mind.
--

Cheers

DrT
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).