long cables and domestic routers

Old June 13th 12, 08:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
tg

Default long cables and domestic routers

I've made a network cable using a long cat5 cable and two Videk cat5
faceplates but I can't get a network connection. I tested the cable end to
end with a network cable tester and all the lights show up perfect. The
cable is long-ish (70 - 80 meters) and one end connects to a netgear DG834G
router. The other end is connected to a netgear fs516 hub. When I plug the
cable into the router the LAN light flashes on and off rythmically about
every three seconds. The same happens with the light on the netgear hub. The
netgear DG834G router is just a domestic/home router.
Do these routers have a limitation when using long cables? Could anyone
recommend a decent booster? I don't think the wiring is at fault because the
tester showed all fine.
....scratching my head here so thanks for any pointers.

Old June 14th 12, 12:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Will

"tg" wrote in message ...
I've made a network cable using a long cat5 cable and two Videk cat5
faceplates but I can't get a network connection. I tested the cable end to
end with a network cable tester and all the lights show up perfect. The
cable is long-ish (70 - 80 meters) and one end connects to a netgear DG834G
router. The other end is connected to a netgear fs516 hub. When I plug the
cable into the router the LAN light flashes on and off rythmically about
every three seconds. The same happens with the light on the netgear hub. The
netgear DG834G router is just a domestic/home router.
Do these routers have a limitation when using long cables? Could anyone
recommend a decent booster? I don't think the wiring is at fault because the
tester showed all fine.
...scratching my head here so thanks for any pointers.

Spec for cat5 is c.100m. so no problems there (for proper cat5).
You have a cable/termination fault and I suspect your cable tester is only checking continuity.
Look up EIA 568B for details.

Old June 14th 12, 09:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
tg

Spec for cat5 is c.100m. so no problems there (for proper cat5).
You have a cable/termination fault and I suspect your cable tester is only
checking continuity.
Look up EIA 568B for details.

thanks for your response.
I searched on EIA 568B but only found data for the RJ45 plug, not the
module. Is the colour coding the same at both ends for modules? or should
one end be A and the other B? when I wired the modules I did both ends the
same as this:
http://www.handymanhowto.com/wp-cont...1/DSC00431.jpg
but it's not working. This is the first time I've ever installed cat5
faceplates.

Old June 14th 12, 11:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Weston

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 09:26:02 +0100, tg wrote:

thanks for your response.
I searched on EIA 568B but only found data for the RJ45 plug, not the
module. Is the colour coding the same at both ends for modules? or should
one end be A and the other B? when I wired the modules I did both ends the
same as this:
http://www.handymanhowto.com/wp-cont...1/DSC00431.jpg
but it's not working. This is the first time I've ever installed cat5
faceplates.

Therein lies your problem - that diagram applies to one
manufacturer's type of socket wiring only and would
incorrectly terminate two of the pairs for some other types.
A simple LED continuity tester may not show this as an error
if you've wired both ends the same.

Most UK sourced wall sockets I've used have a small printed
circuit board (PCB) onto which the socket and punch-down
block (PDB) are soldered. This PCB also deals with the non-
adjacent receive (Rx) pair on pins 3 & 6, allowing the cable
pair carrying this signal to be wired to adjacent pins on
the PDB. As an example, one from my wiring case, from
Solwise, I think, has two 4-way punch-down blocks that,
according to the attached wiring diagram should be wired
G/GW, BnW/Bn, BW/B & OW/O from top left to bottom right,
with the RJ45 socket below the PDB. The PCB does the
connection from these PDB pins to pins 6/3, 7/8, 5/4 & 1/2
on the RJ45 socket respectively.

You should wire your fixed house cabling "straight" (1-1,
2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-6, 7-7, 8-8) rather than "cross-over"
(1-3, 2-6, 3-1, 4-4, 5-5, 6-2, 7-7, 8-7). Cross-over is
only used for 10/100 jumper cables and are largely redundant
these days since the latest Ethernet ICs can detect when
they need the cross-over and do the necessary internally.
You should also use solid-core cable, not stranded (the PDB
blade spacing is designed for solid, not stranded wire)

If you first throw away your handymanhowto.com
misinformation (!! - my AV checker doesn't like this site
either )) you can verify your wiring with a continuity
tester a wire at a time to check you have one pair (Tx)
going to 1 and 2 and another (Rx) going to 3 and 6. The
other two pairs are only used for 1000Mb Ethernet and some
other applications.

Hope this helps
--
John W
Old June 14th 12, 11:43 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Saville

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:26:02 UTC, "tg"
wrote:

Spec for cat5 is c.100m. so no problems there (for proper cat5).
You have a cable/termination fault and I suspect your cable tester is only
checking continuity.
Look up EIA 568B for details.

thanks for your response.
I searched on EIA 568B but only found data for the RJ45 plug, not the
module. Is the colour coding the same at both ends for modules? or should
one end be A and the other B? when I wired the modules I did both ends the
same as this:
http://www.handymanhowto.com/wp-cont...1/DSC00431.jpg
but it's not working. This is the first time I've ever installed cat5
faceplates.

The same both ends. Be aware that there are several ways of wireing
RJ45 depending on the protocol it is expected to carry. The tester
needs to know which - or be one specifically for ethernet.

It also depends on the type of cable - solid or stranded copper. To go
into krone connectors you need solid - so the teeth bite and get a
good connection. To go into RJ45 plugs you need stranded - so the pins
penetrate the strands when you crimp the plug. Plus you have a better
bendy patch cable the stranded being more flexable. The two types are
not really interchangable but you may get away with it sometimes.

HTH
--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old June 17th 12, 12:29 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Will

The same both ends. Be aware that there are several ways of wireing
RJ45 depending on the protocol it is expected to carry. The tester
needs to know which - or be one specifically for ethernet.

It also depends on the type of cable - solid or stranded copper. To go
into krone connectors you need solid - so the teeth bite and get a
good connection. To go into RJ45 plugs you need stranded - so the pins
penetrate the strands when you crimp the plug. Plus you have a better
bendy patch cable the stranded being more flexable. The two types are
not really interchangable but you may get away with it sometimes.

HTH
--

Not quite accurate. Use solid cable with plugs for solid cable and more flexible, stranded cable with plus for stranded
(multi-strand) cable. If the pack doesn't say, then assume they don't know and stay well away from. Using the wrong plugs often

The most important thing to understand about the wiring (568B) is to stick to one throughout. I prefer to stick to one everywhere
in life but appreciate some people have already wired to 568A so I accomodate it where needs must. Use (A) or B but only one. Of
course a patch lead in A will work fine in B it is only the colours that have swapped and the electrons are effecively colour
blind anyway.
Next thing to spot is the pairing, where you've most likely gone wrong, the 8 pins are not in straight pairs and it is the 'pairs'
that keep the cabling balanced and the crosstalk at bay.

Old June 17th 12, 07:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

On 17/06/2012 00:29, Will wrote:
bendy patch cable the stranded being more flexable. The two types are

50 & 60m pre-made RJ45 patch cables are readily available and reasonably
priced 10.
Unless you are trying to thread the cable through holes they are IMHO an
easy option if long enough !