FTTC - 1500 metres too far ?

Old June 21st 12, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

Default FTTC - 1500 metres too far ?

A friend of mine has just had FTTC installed, and isn't happy because
he's getting worse speeds than he had with ADSL.
I estimate that he's 1500 metres from the cabinet, BT Infinity's
checker gives his line an estimated speed of 11.4 Mb/s on
"Faster Total Broadband", and 3 Mb/s on ADSL. He's getting speeds
of 2 - 3 MB/s on FTTC, which sounds bad.

I rather think that 1500 metres is too far for FTTC to work at any
decent speed, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience that it can
work OK on those sort of distances ?

Another issue is that he's fairly close to the Brookmans Park
transmitters, and I wonder if the modem is getting flattened by those
signals ? Mind you, there are new DSLAM cabinets in the
Brookmans Park village area, so I presume FTTC works there ?
Old June 21st 12, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 21/06/2012 11:18, Andrew Benham wrote:

I rather think that 1500 metres is too far for FTTC to work at any
decent speed, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience that it can
work OK on those sort of distances ?

FWIW I'm 1000m as the crow flies from my FTTC cab. I get 29 Mb/s down,
10 up.

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old June 21st 12, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On 21/06/12 12:52, Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/06/2012 11:18, Andrew Benham wrote:

I rather think that 1500 metres is too far for FTTC to work at any
decent speed, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience that it can
work OK on those sort of distances ?

FWIW I'm 1000m as the crow flies from my FTTC cab. I get 29 Mb/s down,
10 up.

Gosh, looks like the FTTC speed estimator is conservative - I'm around
935 feet from 'my' cabinet (which I make 285 metres) and the FTTC
estimator tells me 24.4 Mb/s.
Old June 21st 12, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 21/06/2012 13:12, Andrew Benham wrote:
On 21/06/12 12:52, Mark Carver wrote:
On 21/06/2012 11:18, Andrew Benham wrote:

I rather think that 1500 metres is too far for FTTC to work at any
decent speed, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience that it can
work OK on those sort of distances ?

FWIW I'm 1000m as the crow flies from my FTTC cab. I get 29 Mb/s down,
10 up.

Gosh, looks like the FTTC speed estimator is conservative - I'm around
935 feet from 'my' cabinet (which I make 285 metres) and the FTTC
estimator tells me 24.4 Mb/s.

Typical expected speeds for VDSL are shown on this page:-

http://www.icc-uk.com/download/papers/DSL_Capabilities_and_Limitations.pdf

BT use VDSL2 AFAIK, that certainly fits my experience.

With just 300 metres, I expect your to max out at 40, or perhaps even 80
if that's BT's new ceiling ?

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old June 22nd 12, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Andrew Benham wrote:

A friend of mine has just had FTTC installed, and isn't happy because he's
getting worse speeds than he had with ADSL. I estimate that he's 1500
metres from the cabinet, BT Infinity's checker gives his line an estimated
speed of 11.4 Mb/s on "Faster Total Broadband", and 3 Mb/s on ADSL. He's
getting speeds of 2 - 3 MB/s on FTTC, which sounds bad.

It sounds pretty good to me, 16-24 Mbps... Or was your "MB" a typo?

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Old June 22nd 12, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Andrew Benham (for it is he) wrote:

He's getting speeds of 2 - 3 MB/s on FTTC, which sounds bad.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...-working-hard-
resolve-super-slow-fttc-broadband-bug.html

Sounds similar, but 'sub-1Mbps' is way less than 2-3MBps [or Mbps if that's
what you meant].

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
10:14:49 up 78 days, 14:21, 2 users, load average: 0.14, 0.08, 0.06

Old June 22nd 12, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On 21/06/12 23:31, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
Andrew Benham wrote:

A friend of mine has just had FTTC installed, and isn't happy because he's
getting worse speeds than he had with ADSL. I estimate that he's 1500
metres from the cabinet, BT Infinity's checker gives his line an estimated
speed of 11.4 Mb/s on "Faster Total Broadband", and 3 Mb/s on ADSL. He's
getting speeds of 2 - 3 MB/s on FTTC, which sounds bad.

It sounds pretty good to me, 16-24 Mbps... Or was your "MB" a typo?

Sadly yes, a typo :-(

Old June 22nd 12, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rousseau

Mark Carver wrote:

[...]

I'm about 250 m walking distance (didn't get line stats at install time) and
I get 73+ Mbit/s d/s, and 15+ Mit/s u/s.

Old June 24th 12, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:18:34 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Andrew Benham disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

I estimate that he's 1500 metres from the cabinet,

People assume that they are connected to their closest cabinet and
that is not always the case. I am connected to my *second* nearest.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
Old June 25th 12, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

DrTeeth wrote:
: People assume that they are connected to their closest cabinet and
: that is not always the case. I am connected to my *second* nearest.

Someone put the Openreach FTTC database online (on a Google databse) once so I
KNOW which cabinet I am connected to! However I still have to estimate
the probable copper routing.

I have mislaid the URL to this but, if it is still there, perphaps someone
could remind us!