FTTC from BT

Old June 29th 12, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Freeman

Default FTTC from BT

I've been told at the place I work that BT Connect are apparently offering
them FTTC for the same price as their ADSL apart from a nominal setup fee,
but in the past whenever they've promised us something would be the same
price or cheaper it has always ended up more expensive, so I wondered if
anyone knows if they are definitely doing ADSL to FTTC changeovers for no
increased cost? There's currently have a good 16 meg connection so there
wouldn't be any benefit to FTTC apart from increased upload speed which
would be useful for remote working.

At the moment we use an old Netgear DG834 with a whole bunch of
firewall and forwarding rules, with FTTC this would need changing to a
cable router I believe, I wonder if there is one which would have the same
or better firewall/forwarding rule capabilities as the Netgear which would
offer a painless transition? (Maybe allow the Netgear setting file to be
imported?)

Finally does anyone know if BT change your IP address if you switch to
FTTC? At present we are paying them £5/month for a static IP address (a
bit of a ripoff I know!) but I know static addresses sometimes get changed
if the underlying infrastructure is changed, and we have a mailserver on
our network so would need to plan ahead for any change.
Old June 29th 12, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Gordon Freeman" wrote in message
[...]

AFAIA I do not believe that (so far) I have met up with any FTTC/NGA jobs
which have a static IP.

If you're going with BT you will be supplied (and supported) with a router
as well as the fibre 'modem' and at the present moment they all appear now
to be variants of the infamous HH3 so you'll have 3 choices:-

1, Try to configure the HH3 with all the rules and port forwarding (I
haven't had a chance to play with a HH3 in business mode so am not sure how
flexible, or should that read inflexable, they are)
2, just turn of the internal firewall and forward all ports to another
router/firewall, this can work even though it may mean a double NAT
situation.
3, source another compatible router, of which there appear to be a few
floating around. One very important point to remember is that you will get
absolutely no support of you go this way.

Have fun you lucky blitter, my local exchange has still not been
classified...

--
Kraftee

Old June 29th 12, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

kraftee wrote:

Have fun you lucky blitter, my local exchange has still not been
classified...

I saw phase 10 has been announced, Ruddington doesn't cover you then?

Old June 29th 12, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

kraftee wrote:

[...]

IDnet do static IP as standard and will supply FTTC if the exchange is
enabled.

Also onestop shop for line rental and phone..

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old June 29th 12, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Freeman

"kraftee" wrote:

AFAIA I do not believe that (so far) I have met up with any FTTC/NGA jobs
which have a static IP.

Do you mean you can't have a static IP at all, or just that it changes on
switchover? We need a static IP for our mailserver and remote desktop.

3, source another compatible router, of which there appear to be a few
floating around.

Can't we use any cable router? I thought the BT modem had an ethernet
output that could be connected to any standard (non-ADSL) router.

Old June 29th 12, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

AFAIA I do not believe that (so far) I have met up with any FTTC/NGA jobs
which have a static IP.

If you're going with BT you will be supplied (and supported) with a router
as well as the "fibre" modem.

There, I've corrected your punctuation.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old June 30th 12, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 20:26:38 +0100
"kraftee" wrote:

[...]

Mine is also classified, as "Out in the sticks, you will never see
FTTC before you die!".
--
Davey.

Old June 30th 12, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Gordon Freeman wrote:
"kraftee" wrote:

AFAIA I do not believe that (so far) I have met up with any FTTC/NGA jobs
which have a static IP.

How would you know? I don't pretend to know either - just curious.

I have a static /29 on ADSL2 and can't see from the PPP negotiations how
any one would know whether it was a dynamic single address (OK I suppose
if you dropped and reconnected and saw different then you could infer
dynamic).

Do you mean you can't have a static IP at all, or just that it changes on
switchover? We need a static IP for our mailserver and remote desktop.

This is down to the ISP - there are plenty who offer static and multiple
with their FTTC products.

I have no idea whether your ISP will be able to give you the same one -
maybe you should ask them.

3, source another compatible router, of which there appear to be a few
floating around.

Can't we use any cable router? I thought the BT modem had an ethernet
output that could be connected to any standard (non-ADSL) router.

AFAIK anything that can do PPPoE will do.
Old June 30th 12, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote:

"Gordon wrote in message

Have fun you lucky blitter, my local exchange has still not been
classified...

Mine is also classified, as "Out in the sticks, you will never see
FTTC before you die!".

Me too, and to be honest, what else would BT do in order to meet their
target of percentage premises served? They're not a philanthropic
organisation.
The obvious way to meet their targets - and the way they seem to be
going - would be to concentrate on the cities first, then the towns,
with only "special trial areas" breaking that trend, like certain small
villages in Cornwall that are being used as guinea pig areas for
ultra-high speed broadband.
BT are following their general trend in my rural county, which has four
towns, three of which are now equipped for FTTC. I live in a village in
the middle of the county which is about eight miles distant from any of
those towns. I can therefore expect nothing better than the current "up
to 8 Megs" service from my local exchange, which is not in a "special
trial area", nor a sizeable area of population.
We don't even have mains gas either.
It's a lovely bit of countryside though...
:-(

George

Old June 30th 12, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

wrote:

"Gordon wrote in message

Have fun you lucky blitter, my local exchange has still not been
classified...

Mine is also classified, as "Out in the sticks, you will never see
FTTC before you die!".

Me too, and to be honest, what else would BT do in order to meet
their target of percentage premises served? They're not a
philanthropic organisation.

Nor, often, a sensible one, to judge by the amount of time it took to
get my billing sorted out, to have the same mistake repeated at each
successive billing. Always in their favour, of course.

The obvious way to meet their targets - and the way they seem to be
going - would be to concentrate on the cities first, then the towns,
with only "special trial areas" breaking that trend, like certain
small villages in Cornwall that are being used as guinea pig areas
for ultra-high speed broadband.
BT are following their general trend in my rural county, which has
four towns, three of which are now equipped for FTTC. I live in a
village in the middle of the county which is about eight miles
distant from any of those towns. I can therefore expect nothing
better than the current "up to 8 Megs" service from my local
exchange, which is not in a "special trial area", nor a sizeable area
of population. We don't even have mains gas either.

Nor do we. Back before WWII, there was a local company, that made
its own gas for the village. There is still a summer house made from
clinker from the factory, and at the back of my house, there is a pipe
stub that is reputed to be part of the old supply pipework, although
there is no proof for that. But I don't know what else it was for, so
I'll go with it until proven wrong!
I saw recently that there was some considerable road work going on in
the local main town outside the BT exchange, the one with my area
code, but I think they were just rebuilding a retaining wall. Oh well, I
had hope for a few days. I am still listed as: