Gigabit cable routers with good firewall/routing rules

Old July 5th 12, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GS

Default Gigabit cable routers with good firewall/routing rules

We're looking to replace a BT Hub3 with another cable router (for FTTC)
as we want 4 Gigabit ports instead of the Hub3's stupid 1 x gigabit + 3
x 100Mb ports, and I was wondering if Zyxel (e.g. Zyxel NBG4615) were
any good since they seem to be half the price of Netgear.

One thing I need is to set up specific port forwarding rules which are
dependent on the remote IP address so that only specific people would be
able to connect to specific ports depending on their IP address. We have
previously set up that kind of rule on our Netgear DG834 ADSL router so
I am inclined to buy another Netgear unless I can be sure that a cheaper
offering would do the trick. (Also the Netgear has a nice easy
user-interface unlike some routers I've used!) I am not sure which would
be the best Netgear, there seem to be several similar models at around
the £110-130 price point, eg. Netgear WNDR4000, does anyone have any
recommendations?

Old July 7th 12, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

GS wrote:
We're looking to replace a BT Hub3 with another cable router (for FTTC)
as we want 4 Gigabit ports instead of the Hub3's stupid 1 x gigabit + 3
x 100Mb ports, and I was wondering if Zyxel (e.g. Zyxel NBG4615) were
any good since they seem to be half the price of Netgear.

Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper simply to pkug a Gigabit switch into the
router and then connect everything via the switch?

--
Chris Green
Old July 8th 12, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

GS (for it is he) wrote:

One thing I need is to set up specific port forwarding rules which are
dependent on the remote IP address

If you're wanting the same port forwarded to different places depending on
the source IP, then I think you will struggle to find that in a lower-end
router.

so that only specific people would be
able to connect to specific ports depending on their IP address.

If it's anything like the lower-end Zyxels [P66x] then it has a packet
filter ["Firewall"] section where you can specify rules for each direction
with a variety of IP addresses in each.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
14:42:45 up 9 days, 22:51, 1 user, load average: 0.59, 0.50, 0.75

Old July 8th 12, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

GS considered Thu, 05 Jul 2012 19:01:36 +0100 the
perfect time to write:

[...]

PC, additional gigabit ethernet card, FreeBSD.
Old July 8th 12, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

alexd wrote:
GS (for it is he) wrote:

One thing I need is to set up specific port forwarding rules which are
dependent on the remote IP address

If you're wanting the same port forwarded to different places depending on
the source IP, then I think you will struggle to find that in a lower-end
router.

I agree.

so that only specific people would be
able to connect to specific ports depending on their IP address.

If it's anything like the lower-end Zyxels [P66x] then it has a packet
filter ["Firewall"] section where you can specify rules for each direction
with a variety of IP addresses in each.

No..he wasnt's a weird NAT setup. not just a firewall.

I would personally say its time to get a block of IP addresses and not
try and did this with NAT. It will be cheaper.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old July 11th 12, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GS

alexd wrote:
GS (for it is he) wrote:

One thing I need is to set up specific port forwarding rules which are
dependent on the remote IP address
so that only specific people would be
able to connect to specific ports depending on their IP address.

If it's anything like the lower-end Zyxels [P66x] then it has a packet
filter ["Firewall"] section where you can specify rules for each
direction with a variety of IP addresses in each.

No..he wasnt's a weird NAT setup. not just a firewall.

I would personally say its time to get a block of IP addresses and not
try and did this with NAT. It will be cheaper.

No it is basically firewalling, I always want to forward the ports to
our server but in the case of certain types of connection like RDP I
only want to forward them if the incoming connection is from my home IP
address, in the same way as how the remote management of most routers
can be set to only allow logins from a specific IP address to add an
extra layer of security.

Our old DG834 allowed this sort of rule to be setup but on checking I've
found the newer Netgears eg. WNDR4000 (et al) have been dumbed down a
bit and no longer allow the source IP to be specified in port forwarding
rules. However I've confirmed that the Zyxel NBG4615 does allow
everything to be specified despite being less than half the price, and
is a neater little box too!

AFAICT both ranges of router run Linux inside, so in principle either
ought to be able to do anything that ipchains could do.

Old July 11th 12, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

GS wrote:
alexd wrote:
GS (for it is he) wrote:

[...]

That's not what you said though

you said "One thing I need is to set up specific port forwarding rules
which are dependent on the remote IP address"

If you meant you wanted to set up specific FIREWALLING rules, you should
have said so.

Our old DG834 allowed this sort of rule to be setup but on checking I've
found the newer Netgears eg. WNDR4000 (et al) have been dumbed down a
bit and no longer allow the source IP to be specified in port forwarding
rules. However I've confirmed that the Zyxel NBG4615 does allow
everything to be specified despite being less than half the price, and
is a neater little box too!

AFAICT both ranges of router run Linux inside, so in principle either
ought to be able to do anything that ipchains could do.

Definitely possible on my billion router.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old July 12th 12, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GS

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

you said "One thing I need is to set up specific port forwarding rules
which are dependent on the remote IP address"

If you meant you wanted to set up specific FIREWALLING rules, you should
have said so.

On the DG834 it is the same thing, you set up port forwarding by making a
rule in the incoming connections part of the firewall. Going by the
handbooks the latest Netgears seem to follow the same principle, putting
port forwarding in the firewall section. I suppose this follows the
principle that by default NAT serves as a de facto firewall.
Old July 12th 12, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

GS wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

you said "One thing I need is to set up specific port forwarding rules
which are dependent on the remote IP address"

If you meant you wanted to set up specific FIREWALLING rules, you should
have said so.

On the DG834 it is the same thing, you set up port forwarding by making a
rule in the incoming connections part of the firewall. Going by the
handbooks the latest Netgears seem to follow the same principle, putting
port forwarding in the firewall section. I suppose this follows the
principle that by default NAT serves as a de facto firewall.

well they are two different bits of software normally.

On all the routers I have set up port forwarding is quite distinct from
firewalling

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old July 12th 12, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

GS wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

you said "One thing I need is to set up specific port forwarding rules
which are dependent on the remote IP address"

If you meant you wanted to set up specific FIREWALLING rules, you should
have said so.

On the DG834 it is the same thing, you set up port forwarding by making a
rule in the incoming connections part of the firewall. Going by the
handbooks the latest Netgears seem to follow the same principle, putting
port forwarding in the firewall section. I suppose this follows the
principle that by default NAT serves as a de facto firewall.

well they are two different bits of software normally.

On all the routers I have set up port forwarding is quite distinct from
firewalling

Me too! :-)

With SpeedTouch, Vigor and a couple of others, port forwarding is
separate from the Firewall. Having said that it seems pretty stupid
in a way because you can set up the port forwarding and it won't work
at all unless you also open up the appropriate ports with the
firewall. The manuals rarely point this out (obvious if you know, but
otherwise?).

--
Chris Green