Suitable provider

Old July 9th 12, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default Suitable provider

My F-in-L in his late 80's has suddenly decided he would like broadband
(he has dial up but rarely uses it because it takes too long to set up.)

A low limit - 10Gb or less - would be more than enough. His current BT
phone bill is about 90/qtr calls plus rental as he is only on Option He
rarely calls mobiles.

Can anyone give me ideas on who might be a suitable supplier for an ADSL
service (cable is available but he doesn't want to change his phone line
and indications are they are too pricey?) I think he may be better off
with a phone+broadband package with anytime calls, but which to use?
Plusnet looks a good option (he lives in Sheffield after all which may
attract his allegiance) as does BT, Be, and O2.

His PC is a P4 with 1Gb memory and a CRT monitor. One of the reasons he
doesn't use dial up is because of the relative position of his PC and
the PSTN presentation and the need for trailing cables. A wi-fi solution
would thus be preferable - link distance less than 2m through one brick
wall.

If I can get him a good service and he starts enjoying surfing I may
then push him to get a laptop for convenience.

TIA

Woody
harroagte dot three at ntlworld dot com
Old July 9th 12, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Woody formulated the question :
[...]

Is he on good terms with a neighbour? My next-door neighbours (she's 90
and he's 86) wanted to get on the internet and asked my advice. They
wouldn't really get their money's-worth so I offered to set them up
with wifi to share my account and it works a treat for them.

Old July 10th 12, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 23:28:59 +0100
Woody wrote:

[...]

I have only praise for Zen. 18.27 per month, up to 20 Gb download.
They had my service up and running before the due date, I had heard
stories of BT locally taking a fortnight or more. They supply (at cost,
of course) a modem with WiFi, as I'm sure all ISPs must do as well.
If you have a problem, pick up the 'phone, and talk to somebody oop
north.
He can stay with BT for the 'phone, or go the whole hog and have Zen
'phone service as well.
--
Davey.

Old July 10th 12, 01:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Woody" wrote in message
My F-in-L in his late 80's has suddenly decided he would like broadband
(he has dial up but rarely uses it because it takes too long to set up.)

A low limit - 10Gb or less - would be more than enough. His current BT
phone bill is about 90/qtr calls plus rental as he is only on Option He
rarely calls mobiles.

BT Total Broadband Option 1 with free weekend and weekend calls.

Basically their cheapest option and will be the easiest to manage.

Old July 10th 12, 01:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Don

In ,
Woody typed:
[...]

Plusnet certainly have a good reputation, and are a WHICH? Magazine
best-buy*. I've been very satisfied with them since moving last year from a
house which was on cable.

Plusnet seem to run various offers - I got in on a "half-price for 12
months" offer. At the moment they are doing 50 cashback. The basic VALUE
Broadband service is 6.49 a month for up to 10GB usage between 8am and
midnight (unlimited overnight), which I'm sure would be plenty adequate for
your father-in-law. There's no annual contract, so if his circumstances
change, he's not tied in, but there is a 25 activation charge, and they
charge for the wireless router if you leave before 12 months. However, if
he goes for broadband + phone, the activation charge is waived and evening
and weekend calls are thrown in for the 6.49, on top of line rental of
12.99 a month (or 9.49 if you pay in advance, as I do). An extra 3.50 a
month gets you anytime inclusive calls.

Wi-fi through the wall would be no problem, and a wi-fi dongle on his
existing pc would be a cheap fix.

No personal involvement, just a satisfied customer. I also speak
"Sheffield", and the call centre were very helpful when my exchange got
ADSL2+, and they moved me over at no extra cost.

Don

* WHICH? recommended providers are Zen, Be, Utility Warehouse, Plusnet, O2
and Eclipse, which all have a customer score of over 70%. BT Total
Broadband scored 47%..

Old July 10th 12, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Woody wrote:
[...]

There may be considerations that have not occurred to you.

Given his age and likely inexperience it would be really useful if you
had remote access to his computer so you could resolve problems over the
phone, and provide training as necessary. This means careful choice and
correct setup of the router, and an internet connection with a static IP
address. This might cost a little more, but would pay for itself if it
saved you a visit ...

You would need to install VNC on hs PC - presumably this is an oldish
machine running XP ?

Also, there's a lot to be said for a provider that gives good support.

My recommendation would be Zen Internet

--
Graham J

Old July 10th 12, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Graham J [email protected] wrote:
Given his age and likely inexperience it would be really useful if you
had remote access to his computer so you could resolve problems over the
phone, and provide training as necessary.

Install VNC (I find tightvnc works well with XP), and have him push
his screen to you when required (System Tray VNC right click "Add
new client Your IP address). This way you don't need to fudge his
router/firewall (but you do need to allow inbound VNC tcp/5900 through
yours).

Chris
Old July 10th 12, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Chris Davies wrote:
Graham J [email protected] wrote:
Given his age and likely inexperience it would be really useful if you
had remote access to his computer so you could resolve problems over the
phone, and provide training as necessary.

Install VNC (I find tightvnc works well with XP), and have him push
his screen to you when required (System Tray VNC right click "Add
new client Your IP address). This way you don't need to fudge his
router/firewall (but you do need to allow inbound VNC tcp/5900 through
yours).

Given the age and and inexperience of the user "have him push his screen
to you when required" may be well beyond his capabilities.

More likely:
Dad: "The internet isn't working"
Me: "OK hang on a moment ..."
Connect to his computer ...
Me: "OK can you see me moving the pointer? ..."

--
Graham J

Old July 10th 12, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On 09/07/12 23:53, Dave wrote:
[...]

Whilst this is being a good neighbour, it's worth anyone considering
doing this to check what they could be letting themselves in for.

Some ISPs' T&Cs only allow the account holder and members of his/her
household to use the services provided. OK, so the ISP is unlikely to
find out.

Some ISPs' T&Cs make the account holder liable for any traffic
generated through the account. E.g. BE state:

"""You are responsible for all uses made of Be's Internet services
through your account (whether authorised or unauthorised) and for any
breach of this Policy whether an unacceptable use occurs or is
attempted, whether you knew or should have known about it, whether or
not you carried out or attempted the unacceptable use alone,
contributed to or acted with others or allowed any unacceptable use to
occur by omission."""

So if your neighbour gets his/her computer infected and becomes part
of a botnet, it could be you who gets the hassle.
Old July 10th 12, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

On 10/07/2012 01:49, Don wrote:

Plusnet certainly have a good reputation, and are a WHICH? Magazine
best-buy*. I've been very satisfied with them since moving last year from a
house which was on cable.

aol

--
J B