Mailing list provider

Old July 15th 12, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Default Mailing list provider

Can anyone recommend a free host for a simple, low traffic, mailing list?
Doesn't need any fancy features, but something that doesn't require messing
about with setting up user accounts to subscribe (eg Yahoo), have broken web
interfaces (eg Google Groups), anything that's too heavy with adverts,
complicated integration with things I don't want (eg Facebook), or just
likely to screw things up on a regular basis (many hosts I could mention).
A simple list provided by Mailman or similar would do just fine.

I already have mailing lists on my hosting package, but I don't want
something that depends on me for infrastructure, hence a free throwaway
list.

Any ideas? I've seen Freelists - is that any good?

Thanks
Theo
Old July 15th 12, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Theo Markettos wrote:
Can anyone recommend a free host for a simple, low traffic, mailing list?
Doesn't need any fancy features, but something that doesn't require messing
about with setting up user accounts to subscribe (eg Yahoo), have broken web
interfaces (eg Google Groups), anything that's too heavy with adverts,
complicated integration with things I don't want (eg Facebook), or just
likely to screw things up on a regular basis (many hosts I could mention).
A simple list provided by Mailman or similar would do just fine.

I already have mailing lists on my hosting package, but I don't want
something that depends on me for infrastructure, hence a free throwaway
list.

Any ideas? I've seen Freelists - is that any good?

what do you mean by a mailing list?

something YOU use to send mail to many? Or something anyone, including
spammers, can use to send mail to loads of people?

Thanks
Theo

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old July 15th 12, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
what do you mean by a mailing list?

something YOU use to send mail to many? Or something anyone, including
spammers, can use to send mail to loads of people?

A traditional 1990s-style listserv. Something for announcements and/or
discussion. A replacement for a big pile of CCs on an email. Something
that people can potentially (un)subscribe to as they wish.

Spammers aren't a problem, set the list to be moderated for everyone except
subscribers and previously-authorised posters.

I'm thinking really small volume - eg 30 subscribers here - not sending out
marketing campaigns to a million people.

Turns out Freelists is 'technology-related' only - so that's out.

Theo
Old July 16th 12, 07:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nemesis

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
what do you mean by a mailing list?

something YOU use to send mail to many? Or something anyone, including
spammers, can use to send mail to loads of people?

A traditional 1990s-style listserv. Something for announcements and/or
discussion. A replacement for a big pile of CCs on an email. Something
that people can potentially (un)subscribe to as they wish.

Spammers aren't a problem, set the list to be moderated for everyone
except
subscribers and previously-authorised posters.

I'm thinking really small volume - eg 30 subscribers here - not sending
out
marketing campaigns to a million people.

Turns out Freelists is 'technology-related' only - so that's out.

Are you sure? I see several on this page http://www.freelists.org/ that I
would not call technology related.

Old July 16th 12, 07:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
I already have mailing lists on my hosting package, but I don't want
something that depends on me for infrastructure, hence a free throwaway
list.

Mailchimp.

Gordon
Old July 17th 12, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
I already have mailing lists on my hosting package, but I don't want
something that depends on me for infrastructure, hence a free throwaway
list.

Mailchimp.

That's a newsletter-y thing, not a discussion-list-y-thing, isn't it? Or am
I missing something?

(and are Mailman-style mailing lists that out of fashion these days? Lots
of the providers have gone [eGroups, SmartGroups, etc]. Has everything
turned into a Facebook group?)

Theo
Old July 17th 12, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

nemesis wrote:
Are you sure? I see several on this page http://www.freelists.org/ that I
would not call technology related.

3. ALL LISTS must BE TECHNOLOGY-RELATED.

it says he
http://www.freelists.org/signup.html

Theo
Old July 17th 12, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Theo Markettos wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
I already have mailing lists on my hosting package, but I don't want
something that depends on me for infrastructure, hence a free throwaway
list.

Mailchimp.

That's a newsletter-y thing, not a discussion-list-y-thing, isn't it? Or am
I missing something?

(and are Mailman-style mailing lists that out of fashion these days? Lots
of the providers have gone [eGroups, SmartGroups, etc]. Has everything
turned into a Facebook group?)

largely they have.

Since setting up a forum is so easy. And the web exists as a better way
to disseminate many to many special interest in formation.

Old July 17th 12, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
I already have mailing lists on my hosting package, but I don't want
something that depends on me for infrastructure, hence a free throwaway
list.

Mailchimp.

That's a newsletter-y thing, not a discussion-list-y-thing, isn't it? Or am
I missing something?

Ah yes. Thinking about it now, it probably is - my wife uses it for a
newsletter thing for her clients...

(and are Mailman-style mailing lists that out of fashion these days? Lots
of the providers have gone [eGroups, SmartGroups, etc]. Has everything
turned into a Facebook group?)

More or less. I still run some majordomo lists thought, but they're
on the decline.

Gordon
Old September 16th 12, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Gibson

In article "Mailing list provider" in uk.telecom.broadband, on Sun, 15
Jul 2012 Theo Markettos writes

Can anyone recommend a free host for a simple, low traffic, mailing list?

Some ISPs do still provide things like MailMan. I run MailMan-based
lists at three ISPs. However, none are actually "supported" by the ISPs
and, as a result, you may have problems if they go wrong.

I run some lists at Memset, but this is via a re-seller and Im not sure
if Memset *themselves* provide MailMan.

I also run some lists at Gradwell, but the software is an earlier
version and has a few subtle problems (like it wont bundle the archives
into monthly or weekly chunks).

One thing to remember is that the MailMan files (and I would expect this
apply to similar packages) are stored outside your /home/user/
directory, and you probably do not have the necessary permission to view
the files. This makes no difference to the day-to-day operation of the
list, but it means that you cannot backup the list archives. You will
probably find that your ISP is not interested in this problem because
they do not provide "support" for the installation.

MailMan and similar lists may be old-fashioned but they are refreshingly
spam-free compared with web forums like PHPbb. If you restrict postings
to members only, and require new members to have their subscription
approved then you will have few spam problems. PHPBB on the other hand
is a sure target for hackers and spammers.

--
David Gibson
Spam-cloaked message: The Reply-to address