any broadband supplier recommendations pls?

Old July 16th 12, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Moonraker

Default any broadband supplier recommendations pls?

I am with IDNet, while they are excellent, and solve any problems
rapidly I am hoping to find one cheaper, but still reliable. I am
looking for broadband plus telephone with free weekend and evening
calls. Any suggestions please? TIA

Old July 16th 12, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On 16/07/12 10:40, Moonraker wrote:
I am with IDNet, while they are excellent, and solve any problems
rapidly I am hoping to find one cheaper, but still reliable. I am
looking for broadband plus telephone with free weekend and evening
calls. Any suggestions please? TIA

IDNet have lots of packages with a variety of costs. Without knowing
what you currently have, it's hard to know what will be cheaper.

Personally I'm happy with BE:
https://www.bethere.co.uk/

They'll charge you 11 a month for telephone with free weekend and
evening calls, with 'unlimited' broadband from 17 to 27 a month.
Depending on packages, that might be cheaper than IDNet.
Old July 16th 12, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 16/07/2012 10:57, Andrew Benham wrote:
On 16/07/12 10:40, Moonraker wrote:
I am with IDNet, while they are excellent, and solve any problems
rapidly I am hoping to find one cheaper, but still reliable. I am
looking for broadband plus telephone with free weekend and evening
calls. Any suggestions please? TIA

IDNet have lots of packages with a variety of costs. Without knowing
what you currently have, it's hard to know what will be cheaper.

Personally I'm happy with BE:
https://www.bethere.co.uk/

They'll charge you 11 a month for telephone with free weekend and
evening calls, with 'unlimited' broadband from 17 to 27 a month.
Depending on packages, that might be cheaper than IDNet.

Plusnet should fit that scenario also.

George
Old July 16th 12, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

Zen, who regularly win broadband supplier of the year award from Which
magazine. More expensive than some but a price worth paying IMO.

I am on the FTTC service, getting close to 75 Mbps download speed.
Old July 16th 12, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 16/07/2012 13:07, Scott wrote:
Zen, who regularly win broadband supplier of the year award from Which
magazine. More expensive than some but a price worth paying IMO.

I am on the FTTC service, getting close to 75 Mbps download speed.

Lucky old you!
But it doesn't really matter which ISP that comes from - it's all BT's
fibre anyway
I think the OP was asking for reviews of ADSL providers?
Old July 16th 12, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Moonraker

On 16/07/2012 14:53, George Weston wrote:
On 16/07/2012 13:07, Scott wrote:
Zen, who regularly win broadband supplier of the year award from Which
magazine. More expensive than some but a price worth paying IMO.

I am on the FTTC service, getting close to 75 Mbps download speed.

Lucky old you!
But it doesn't really matter which ISP that comes from - it's all BT's
fibre anyway
I think the OP was asking for reviews of ADSL providers?

No fibre here, I am afraid George.

Old July 16th 12, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 14:53:26 +0100, George Weston
wrote:

On 16/07/2012 13:07, Scott wrote:
Zen, who regularly win broadband supplier of the year award from Which
magazine. More expensive than some but a price worth paying IMO.

I am on the FTTC service, getting close to 75 Mbps download speed.

Lucky old you!
But it doesn't really matter which ISP that comes from - it's all BT's
fibre anyway
I think the OP was asking for reviews of ADSL providers?

I take your point. The recommendation was based on personal
experience and the Which awards. The FTTC comment was an add-on. I
think I read that soon 40% of the population will receive FTTC so this
may become relevant.
Old July 17th 12, 07:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Percy

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012, "Scott" writ:

wrote:

On 16/07/2012 13:07, Scott wrote:
Zen, who regularly win broadband supplier of the year award from Which
magazine. More expensive than some but a price worth paying IMO.

I am on the FTTC service, getting close to 75 Mbps download speed.

Lucky old you!
But it doesn't really matter which ISP that comes from - it's all BT's
fibre anyway
I think the OP was asking for reviews of ADSL providers?

I take your point. The recommendation was based on personal
experience and the Which awards. The FTTC comment was an add-on. I
think I read that soon 40% of the population will receive FTTC so this
may become relevant.

Is that "receive" or " will have access to"? Some, like me, have no
interest in FTTC. I am sure the hype will ensure take-up even if the end
user actually has no use for the increased performance.

My neighbour proudly invited me round the other week to inspect his FTTC
installation and showed me his 35Mb speed test. Impressive but, as he
only uses a browser and e-mail, a total waste of money!
Old July 17th 12, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012, "Scott" writ:

wrote:

[...]

Aw C'mon! Everybody knows that means you get a sexy housemate and a room
full of nubile spanish birds.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old July 17th 12, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

wrote:

On 16/07/2012 13:07, Scott wrote:
Zen, who regularly win broadband supplier of the year award from Which
magazine. More expensive than some but a price worth paying IMO.

I am on the FTTC service, getting close to 75 Mbps download speed.

Lucky old you!
But it doesn't really matter which ISP that comes from - it's all BT's
fibre anyway

It doesn't matter until there is a problem that needs sorting. I've
only had a handful of issues in the years I've been with Zen but
whether my fault, my equipments fault, BT's fault or Zen's fault
things have always got sorted quite quickly.

It is reassuring to phone support and get through to an engineer who
knows what he's talking about and has access to see what is going on.

--
AnthonyL