Virgin Media DNS

Old July 16th 12, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WendyBurger

Default Virgin Media DNS

Has anyone had any joy setting their own dns server on virgin media?

I have an account with OpenDNS and I'd like to be able to monitor and
log network traffic, OpenDNS offer really good parental settings meaning
every computer connected to my home network has the same parental
configuration, they also block anonymous surfing sites like HMA etc.

It's very annoying that they stop you from being able to use a DNS of
your own by removing the option from their SuperHub.

The work-around at the moment is to set the super hub to modem mode and
use your own router, but when you use an airport like we do it means 3
sets of routers just to get the DNS of your choice to work!
--
WendyBurger
Remove me knickers to make my email address work!

Old July 16th 12, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

WendyBurger wrote:
Has anyone had any joy setting their own dns server on virgin media?

I have an account with OpenDNS and I'd like to be able to monitor and
log network traffic, OpenDNS offer really good parental settings meaning
every computer connected to my home network has the same parental
configuration, they also block anonymous surfing sites like HMA etc.

It's very annoying that they stop you from being able to use a DNS of
your own by removing the option from their SuperHub.

The work-around at the moment is to set the super hub to modem mode and
use your own router, but when you use an airport like we do it means 3
sets of routers just to get the DNS of your choice to work!

what about setting your local machines to use fixed DNS rather than
pickup the server via DHCP?

But frankly, that's a deskilled POS that you probably want to replace
anyway.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old July 17th 12, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WendyBurger

what about setting your local machines to use fixed DNS rather than
pickup the server via DHCP?

But frankly, that's a deskilled POS that you probably want to replace
anyway.

Yeah setting the local machines is fine but that can be got around
pretty easily, by having the DNS on the router for ALL computers the
parental settings can't be circumvented because the router is locked in
the study.

Old July 17th 12, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

WendyBurger wrote:
Yeah setting the local machines is fine but that can be got around
pretty easily, by having the DNS on the router for ALL computers the
parental settings can't be circumvented because the router is locked in
the study.

Is there anything that stops someone changing the DNS settings on
a local machine to point to, say, Google's DNS? If not, surely the
"parental controls" provided by OpenDNS can be trivially circumvented?

Chris
Old July 17th 12, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , WendyBurger wrote:
Has anyone had any joy setting their own dns server on virgin media?

I have an account with OpenDNS and I'd like to be able to monitor and
log network traffic, OpenDNS offer really good parental settings meaning
every computer connected to my home network has the same parental
configuration, they also block anonymous surfing sites like HMA etc.

It's very annoying that they stop you from being able to use a DNS of
your own by removing the option from their SuperHub.

The work-around at the moment is to set the super hub to modem mode and
use your own router, but when you use an airport like we do it means 3
sets of routers just to get the DNS of your choice to work!

Why do you need to use an Airport? Apple computers should be able to
connect to any standard wireless router, just like any other. If you ditch
the Airport and connect your Apple devices to the router you're using for
the DNS settings, that would reduce your setup to 2 boxes rather than 3.

Rod.
--
Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Old July 17th 12, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WendyBurger

On 17/07/2012 11:15, Roderick Stewart wrote:

Why do you need to use an Airport? Apple computers should be able to
connect to any standard wireless router, just like any other. If you ditch
the Airport and connect your Apple devices to the router you're using for
the DNS settings, that would reduce your setup to 2 boxes rather than 3.

Rod.

It's not just an airport it's a time capsule as well and backs up our
iMac and MBP's. It just seems petty on VM's part not to allow a
customer to choose their own DNS. I suppose that's the price you pay
for "Out of the box" broadband though aimed at the mass market!

Old July 17th 12, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fredxx

On 17/07/2012 10:32, Chris Davies wrote:
WendyBurger wrote:
Yeah setting the local machines is fine but that can be got around
pretty easily, by having the DNS on the router for ALL computers the
parental settings can't be circumvented because the router is locked in
the study.

Is there anything that stops someone changing the DNS settings on
a local machine to point to, say, Google's DNS? If not, surely the
"parental controls" provided by OpenDNS can be trivially circumvented?

Chris

Wouldn't that still require administrative privileges?
Old July 17th 12, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Davies wrote:
WendyBurger wrote:
Yeah setting the local machines is fine but that can be got around
pretty easily, by having the DNS on the router for ALL computers the
parental settings can't be circumvented because the router is locked in
the study.

Is there anything that stops someone changing the DNS settings on
a local machine to point to, say, Google's DNS? If not, surely the
"parental controls" provided by OpenDNS can be trivially circumvented?

no there isn't. Except for their ignorance.

Chris

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old July 17th 12, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Fredxx wrote:
On 17/07/2012 10:32, Chris Davies wrote:
Is there anything that stops someone changing the DNS settings on
a local machine to point to, say, Google's DNS? If not, surely the
"parental controls" provided by OpenDNS can be trivially circumvented?

Wouldn't that still require administrative privileges?

Yes. But that assumes the machines are set up with appropriately
privileged and non-privileged accounts. Maybe the OP's got it right;
way too many people haven't.

Chris
Old July 17th 12, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

WendyBurger wrote:

It's not just an airport it's a time capsule as well and backs up our
iMac and MBP's. It just seems petty on VM's part not to allow a
customer to choose their own DNS. I suppose that's the price you pay
for "Out of the box" broadband though aimed at the mass market!

I use a Sheevaplug as my DHCP/DNS server, the router just routes. That way I
have complete control of it all.

--
Dave
Too many gadgets, too little time.