VirginMedia upgrades

Old July 17th 12, 07:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default VirginMedia upgrades

I've been wondering about getting a SuperHub on the basis that it'll give me
a speed upgrade. I've seen mention that it can be put into a dumb mode so I
can do a like-for-like replacement into my existing system. Does anyone have
practical experience of doing this?

--
Dave
Too many gadgets, too little time.
Old July 17th 12, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Dave wrote:
I've been wondering about getting a SuperHub on the basis that it'll give me
a speed upgrade. I've seen mention that it can be put into a dumb mode so I
can do a like-for-like replacement into my existing system. Does anyone have
practical experience of doing this?

If they need to send you new equipment for a speed upgrade you will probably
have no choice about what it is. If it's a Superhub, yes you can disable the
router section and use it like a standalone modem with a separate router. Just
login to the setup page and look for "Modem Mode". You won't need to change any
of the settings on your existing router.

Rod.
--
Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Old July 17th 12, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Dave wrote:

I've been wondering about getting a SuperHub on the basis that it'll give
me a speed upgrade. I've seen mention that it can be put into a dumb mode
so I can do a like-for-like replacement into my existing system. Does
anyone have practical experience of doing this?

Yes, it works fine, provided you connect the SH to your router/switch with
the LAN socket (on the SH) that's nearest the WAN cable & DC power-in
sockets.

In my case I have a SH connected to my old router/firewall (which handles
LAN DHCP etc) and that's connected to a network switch, and when the
connection needs powered off and back on, unfortunately the SH needs to
initialise (which seems to take a minute or so) before the router is turned
on, and then the switch. The old slower cable modem was less fussy and all
three units could be turned on together.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Old July 18th 12, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 07:36:45 +0100, Dave wrote:

I've been wondering about getting a SuperHub on the basis that it'll give me
a speed upgrade. I've seen mention that it can be put into a dumb mode so I
can do a like-for-like replacement into my existing system. Does anyone have
practical experience of doing this?

I was on the 20m service and went for the Superhub to get faster
upstream with the 60M upgrade.

It seems to vary based on exactly what you connect.

I tried to use the superhub as a router - only W7 machines seemed
solid.

But as a modem it is fine and my network is stable - although i will
need a faster router to get to 60m (60m is ok when using it just as a
modem).

Unfortunately the faster upstream sometimes happens after the 60m is
deployed in some areas - so i am only getting 2.8m or so for now.

Given the upgrade was a free self install kit this still seems pretty
good.

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl