Bit OT about Onetel boxes and broadband etc

Old July 19th 12, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Bit OT about Onetel boxes and broadband etc

I know this is a bit OT but someone here may be able to help me so have
sent this here and UK.Telecomm

Looking for help/advice!

Have to go help friend who was originally with Onetel to get the cheap
calls - especially overseas.
As I understand it, the little white "Onetel" box in circuit was the
carrier pre-select box when the system had to dial a prefix to access
Onetel via BT line. Presumably since TalkTalk have taken over line
provision, this is no longer needed.
The recent problem is that, after he stops making his call, the line
seems to show as still engaged for an incoming caller for some time
after - extremely inconvenient!
Is the CPS box still needed?
Can it simply be removed?
If I take it out and all seems well, should I contact TT (he he) to get
new box or simply leave it out. In that case how will he be billed etc?
I am not sure the TT option is still the best for him anyway with all
the BT special deals including cheap "anytime" packages and reasonable
overseas call packages but he uses TT for Internet and changing to BT
would be complex and require e-mail address changes.

Incidentally I would like to sort out his wiring anyway as the master
socket is downstairs with a filter then the Onetel box leading to a DECT
phonebase and the router is upstairs with another filter and I don't
know the state of the cable to there.
I always prefer a filtered faceplate on the master socket and the router
there or even just extend the BB away upstairs to the router. That way I
have improved connection speed considerably elsewhere.

Any help please!!

Mike