Frequent internet disconnections

Old July 19th 12, 09:45 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default Frequent internet disconnections

You would be better to ask this at uk.telecom.broadband where you
will get good help from people who really do understand what they
are talking about. I have taken the liberty of cross-posting it
for you.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

"john worcester" wrote in message
Our BT telphone line comes into our hallway by the front door
and travels across the hallway and then through the wall to a
junction box in our front room. This is where our desk top
computer is.

The junction box is on the east wall in the front room, but the
computer is by the west wall and is joined by about ten metres
of telephone extension cable which runs around the wall. The
splitter (DSL filter) is plugged in at the junction box end,
not the modem end.

The internet connection keeps dropping down, but comes back up
readily enough if i use the on/off switch on the back of the
netgear DGN2200 modem router. And sometimes just reconnects by
itself after a few minutes.

After spending time with netgear technical helpline, they want
to try the connection by moving the pc next to the junction box
and so eliminate the 10 metre extension cable. Because its a
small room and because of the layout, i am loath to move the
computer to that side of the room, if at all possible.

Is it at all likely that this 10 metre extension cable would be
causing these disconnections? They seem to happen once every
two or three days. Our house is a semi, is there anything that
our neighbour might be doing to cause a disconnection? Someone
has suggested that it would be better to move the modem close
to the junction box and then buy a 10 metre LAN cable to
connect to the computer. Would this be a good idea?

Grateful for any suggestions, thanks.

Old July 19th 12, 11:35 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 19/07/2012 20:45, Woody wrote:
[...]

What sort of "junction box" are you talking about - is it a BT-type
master socket and, if so, does it have a removable faceplate? Are there
any other phone extensions wired off it? What is the construction of the
extension cable, and what sort of plugs does it have at each end?

Is there any correlation between these disconnections and voice calls
being made on the telephone?

Answers to those questions will help us to understand the possible
issues better.

Having said that, a disconnect every 2 or 3 days is not particularly
unusual - and may have nothing to do with your setup.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old July 20th 12, 02:37 AM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 22:35:20 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

[...]

For some reason I am not seeing your OP in utb but fortunately Roger
quoted it intact.

The questions he asks are what I would ask. In particular can you be
clear what this telephone extension cable is, it sounds more like a
long RJ11-RJ11 cable than a conventional telephone extension cable.

Is your description of the wiring complete? ie no other sockets, even
if unused?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 20th 12, 11:21 AM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Woody wrote:
You would be better to ask this at uk.telecom.broadband where you
will get good help from people who really do understand what they
are talking about. I have taken the liberty of cross-posting it
for you.

Curious - I don't see the original post (this is viewing with SeaMonkey)

However:

As others have asked, we need to know more about the junction box.

Siting the router adjacent to this junction box and connecting it to the
PC with a long Ethernet cable would be a good plan.

Please tell us the loop attenuation, SNR margin, and data rate reported
by the router. Do these figures vary - particularly the SNR margin - at
about the time the connection fails?

Please tell us the ISP - if they are any good they may be able to help
resolve the problem.

--
Graham J

Old July 20th 12, 12:34 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 20/07/2012 10:21, Graham J wrote:
Woody wrote:
You would be better to ask this at uk.telecom.broadband where you
will get good help from people who really do understand what they
are talking about. I have taken the liberty of cross-posting it
for you.

Curious - I don't see the original post (this is viewing with SeaMonkey)

However:

As others have asked, we need to know more about the junction box.

Siting the router adjacent to this junction box and connecting it to the
PC with a long Ethernet cable would be a good plan.

Please tell us the loop attenuation, SNR margin, and data rate reported
by the router. Do these figures vary - particularly the SNR margin - at
about the time the connection fails?

Please tell us the ISP - if they are any good they may be able to help
resolve the problem.

Probably because the OP is not reading posts in uk.telecom.broadband?
Originally posted in free.uk.diy.home

George
Old July 20th 12, 01:55 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Woody wrote:
You would be better to ask this at uk.telecom.broadband where you
will get good help from people who really do understand what they
are talking about. I have taken the liberty of cross-posting it
for you.

Curious - I don't see the original post (this is viewing with SeaMonkey)

That's because Woody quoted it *below* his signature - so most
newsreaders would regard it as part of the signature, and strip it off
from replies. I had a hell of a job to capture it when I replied!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old August 7th 12, 07:33 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.broadband
john worcester

Our BT telephone line comes into our hallway by the front door and travels

Woody wrote:
You would be better to ask this at uk.telecom.broadband where you
will get good help from people who really do understand what they
are talking about. I have taken the liberty of cross-posting it
for you.

Curious - I don't see the original post (this is viewing with SeaMonkey)

That's because Woody quoted it *below* his signature - so most newsreaders
would regard it as part of the signature, and strip it off from replies. I
had a hell of a job to capture it when I replied!
--
Cheers,
Roger

I changed the telephone extension lead as advised and it is now definitely
better. I do have one BT extension phone socket ending up in the kitchen,
but just cannot find where the wires to it come from. So for the moment will
leave it in place.

I still get a drop off every couple of days or some, but as someone has
suggested to me this could be kind of normal?

Was just looking at the BT accelerator (as advised since I have this
additional extension phone socket )on the BT website and stone me if they
didn't ring up at that very moment asking would I like to sign up for their
optical cable connection broadband service. They have my details...could
they know what I'm doing on their site, I ask myself?

Going optical would mean increasing my monthly payments of 14 for the 'Be'
provider to 18 with BT and he said he would *guarantee* up to 40 Mbytes.
Having just forked out for a new netgear modem router I'm not sure about all
this.

My son downloads the occasional film but apart from that I only surf and
email, so would all the extra palaver be worth it I ask my self? And I dot
know if I could connect the optical cable to the other computers in the
house?

Life's not easy not knowing much. Thanks to all for the help. The new
Ethernet cable has made a big difference.

Old August 7th 12, 10:23 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

john worcester wrote:
[...]

throw the netgear in the bin and get a new router.

I had two that were 'given' to me, Both did exactly that.

Both were possibly ex thunderstorm...

Netgears work well enough when they work, but of all the routers I have
set up/played with they are the ones that always seem to fail or go flaky.

Is it at all likely that this 10 metre extension cable would be causing
these disconnections?

No.

They seem to happen once every two or three days.

Sometimes I get several disconnects in a day, but the key thing here is
that your router is not resynching automatically. It should. If it needs
a cold reboot it is essentially ****ed.

Our
house is a semi, is there anything that our neighbour might be doing to
cause a disconnection? Someone has suggested that it would be better to move
the modem close to the junction box and then buy a 10 metre LAN cable to
connect to the computer. Would this be a good idea?

Its not a bad idea.

But I still think the router is borked,.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old August 7th 12, 10:27 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Woody wrote:
[...]

Your description isn't very useful.

I suggest:

1) Fit a faceplate microfilter to the master socket, such as:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-ADSL...70527&sr =1-2

Also shown at: http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm
the part number: ADSL-NTEFACE-SOL

This of course begs the question of exactly where the master socket is,
and how the extension wiring to the kitchen is achieved.

2) Locate the router near to the mster socket, and connect it using the
short cable supplied with it to the "ADSL" socket on the faceplate
microfilter.

3) Connect the router to your computer using a convenient length of
Ethernet cable.

If you see a disconnection every couple of days this would be entirely
normal for an ADSL service provided by BT. If you migrate to a
professional ISP you should only expect disconnections caused by nearby
lightning strikes during a thunderstorm. An ISP such as Zen Internet
should be able to improve the reliability. If you choose Andrews &
Arnold you should be able to ring them about every disconnection as it
occurs and ask them why it happened.

--
Graham J

Old August 7th 12, 10:38 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.broadband
UnsteadyKen

john worcester wrote...

My son downloads the occasional film but apart from that I only surf and
email, so would all the extra palaver be worth it I ask my self? And I dot
know if I could connect the optical cable to the other computers in the
house?

From the prices and speeds you quote it appears the salesperson was
talking about BT Infinity, this is not fibre to the premises (FTTP)but
fibre to the cabinet (FTTC).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibre-to-the-cabinet

The fibre cable runs only from the exchange to your nearest BT junction
box and the connection from there to your home is via the normal BT
line, no optical cable comes near your house.

I had Infinity installed a couple of months ago, a painless 1 hour
process. Here is the result of a speed test I ran just now.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2106981808.png

If you were to order Infinity, the only change would be that the
engineers would replace the master socket and install a modem and BT
Home Hub 3 router to which your pc's connect as usual via either wifi
or wired via the 4 available network sockets.

Details from the BT site he
http://goo.gl/IBloh
--
Ken O'Meara