Technicolor TG582n or Netgear DG834GT

Old July 20th 12, 12:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dean Jackson

Default Technicolor TG582n or Netgear DG834GT

I have been using a Netgear DG834GT Router for around six years. Now
with o2 I have been given a Technicolor TG582n.
Which is the best one to use?
Dean J.
Old July 20th 12, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On 19/07/12 23:52, Dean Jackson wrote:
I have been using a Netgear DG834GT Router for around six years. Now
with o2 I have been given a Technicolor TG582n.
Which is the best one to use?

I'm on BE. They provided me with the earlier TG585v7, but I find the
command line user interface too complicated. I believe one can do
almost anything with the box, but it's hard to get to grips with.

I've been using a Netgear DG834GT with the DGTeam firmware on BE for
ages. I understand how it works, I can telnet/ssh to a Linux shell
prompt if I need to do anything special. It has features I use
(e.g. snmpd) which the Technicolor boxes no longer have.

The TG582n is a more recent device. If you don't want to play with
the router settings very much, then it might be the better one to use.
If you want to play with the settings, and you understand the Netgear,
I'd stick with the Netgear.

Having said all this, there have been problems with Netgears on O2/BE
with using DHCP to obtain the WAN IP. I'm not sure if the problem
was fixed - although there appears to be another problem on BE's new
network which I've been looking into.
( http://www.adsb.co.uk/software/DGTeam/ )
Old July 20th 12, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 20/07/2012 12:19, Andrew Benham wrote:
[...]

Plusnet also supply the Technicolor 582n in a pre-configured version
(although I believe that it can be configured to personal preferences if
required).
I've just received mine from Plusnet, which I intended using as a spare,
in case my D-link goes faulty, so I haven't yet connected it.
However, I note that the Technicolor is Wireless N, which my D-link
isn't, so I might be tempted to change them over.
I have no experience of Netgear stuff, so I can add nothing on that aspect.

George
Old July 20th 12, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On 20/07/12 14:21, George Weston wrote:

However, I note that the Technicolor is Wireless N, which my D-link
isn't, so I might be tempted to change them over.

Ah, very good point George - the DG834GT is only Wireless G.
[ Well "108 Mbps Super G", but I've never had a client which
supports that, so I'm stuck with 54 Mb/s ].
Old July 28th 12, 01:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 23:52:46 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Dean Jackson disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

I have been using a Netgear DG834GT Router for around six years. Now
with o2 I have been given a Technicolor TG582n.
Which is the best one to use?

I you are into writing batch files to achieve the simplest
configuration, go with the Technicolor. If you want a simple and
intuitive, go with the Netgear. The Technicolor is for masochists,
especially as the CLI manual is not well written.
--

Cheers

DrT
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).