Free BT Webspace - Shut Down Warning

Old July 20th 12, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

Default Free BT Webspace - Shut Down Warning

Challenge it now before it's too late and/or backup your website.

Google any of the following, some of which are on the search engines,
many many websites are going down! including my own : - (

www.btinternet.com/~
..btinternet.co.uk
..users.btopenworld.com

Most will be linked to their old BT dial-up accounts.

More information:
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...bhosting_mail1

They have sent out emails about the close.

I find it very unfair that a big company like this, say it's too
expensive to maintain only 50mb of webspace for their existing users.

Dan
Old July 20th 12, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:25:40 -0700 (PDT), Dan
wrote:

Challenge it now before it's too late and/or backup your website.

Google any of the following, some of which are on the search engines,
many many websites are going down! including my own : - (

www.btinternet.com/~
.btinternet.co.uk
.users.btopenworld.com

Most will be linked to their old BT dial-up accounts.

More information:
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...bhosting_mail1

They have sent out emails about the close.

I find it very unfair that a big company like this, say it's too
expensive to maintain only 50mb of webspace for their existing users.

If, as they say, they don't support it, and very few people actually
_use_ it, I fail to see where the increasing costs are.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Old July 20th 12, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...346/?s_cid=con....

They have sent out emails about the close.

I find it very unfair that a big company like this, say it's too
expensive to maintain only 50mb of webspace for their existing users.

If, as they say, they don't support it, and very few people actually
_use_ it, I fail to see where the increasing costs are.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

True, maybe the share holders are more important then the customers?
Shame, as most are small clubs, hobbies/interest & personal websites.

Also Google "Free BT Web Hosting Service is closing" for more links,
BT forum, MSE link & others.
If you require FTP details for the webspace or contact info see:
http://www.filesaveas.com/btyahoo.html

The "we have moved" page or redirect is useless because they say:
"The redirect will work as long as the free web hosting service is up,
though once it closes, visitors using your old address will get a
"page not found" message."

Dan
Old July 20th 12, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Brown

On 20/07/2012 20:47, Dan wrote:

The "we have moved" page or redirect is useless because they say:
"The redirect will work as long as the free web hosting service is up,
though once it closes, visitors using your old address will get a
"page not found" message."

.... which is why they're giving people advance notice, so they can do it
now.

--
mb
Old July 20th 12, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

On Jul 20, 9:26*pm, Mike Brown wrote:
On 20/07/2012 20:47, Dan wrote:

The "we have moved" page or redirect is useless because they say:
"The redirect will work as long as the free web hosting service is up,
though once it closes, visitors using your old address will get a
"page not found" message."

... which is why they're giving people advance notice, so they can do it
now.

--
mb

I appreciate that, no good to me though, used the BT address for at
least 10 years, which is on the search engines, having a we moved page
for a month or so is no use long term, especially losing ongoing
visitors to the web address afterwards.

It's better then nothing, but having something like ongoing URL
forwarding would of made a big difference.

Dan
Old July 21st 12, 12:52 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Freeman

Frank Erskine wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:25:40 -0700 (PDT), Dan

I find it very unfair that a big company like this, say it's too
expensive to maintain only 50mb of webspace for their existing users.

If, as they say, they don't support it, and very few people actually
_use_ it, I fail to see where the increasing costs are.

I once looked at BT's web hosting and found the mailform scripts they
provided were badly written and eminently hackable, they could be hijacked
to send spam to third parties. So maybe the costs they are incurring are
that of fielding complaints by people who think they've been spammed by BT
customers? When I saw how bad their scripts were (and that you couldn't use
your own) I went for a commercial service with Linux/Perl/PHP (BT's were
Windows based).

Old July 21st 12, 01:54 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Gordon Freeman wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:25:40 -0700 (PDT), Dan

I find it very unfair that a big company like this, say it's too
expensive to maintain only 50mb of webspace for their existing users.

If, as they say, they don't support it, and very few people actually
_use_ it, I fail to see where the increasing costs are.

I once looked at BT's web hosting and found the mailform scripts they
provided were badly written and eminently hackable, they could be hijacked
to send spam to third parties. So maybe the costs they are incurring are
that of fielding complaints by people who think they've been spammed by BT
customers? When I saw how bad their scripts were (and that you couldn't use
your own) I went for a commercial service with Linux/Perl/PHP (BT's were
Windows based).

In the end a pro job using a proper hosting company (or your own virtual
host) linked to your own domain is infinitely preferable..precisely
because it avoids this kind of crap. You own the lot.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old July 21st 12, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 01:54:13 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, The Natural Philosopher disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

In the end a pro job using a proper hosting company (or your own virtual
host) linked to your own domain is infinitely preferable..precisely
because it avoids this kind of crap. You own the lot.

Exactly, but one needs to be aware that some 'pros' who register a
domain for a customer, keep it in THEIR name. The practice is rife.
I don't know what the hell people expect for free shakes head.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
Old July 21st 12, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

reverie and wrote:
In the end a pro job using a proper hosting company (or your own virtual
host) linked to your own domain is infinitely preferable..precisely
because it avoids this kind of crap. You own the lot.

Exactly, but one needs to be aware that some 'pros' who register a
domain for a customer, keep it in THEIR name. The practice is rife.
I don't know what the hell people expect for free shakes head.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).

I absolutely agree with both of you, which I have done for further
projects.
This was run as a low cost/free reference site to help people of an
old ISP that use there email. (which they can still use today/
including my own, due to my actions)
You need to understand that the internet was a very different place
back in 1995 as one BT forum member said webspace was offered since
then, this was early internet for most (we were dinosaurs/still
learning) costs were different etc, most have carried on with it.

The story is now covered by ISP Review:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...customers.html
When I see things like this, I know it's worth while
http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-.../563081#M25726

DrT you could only dial in on their number I believe in order to
upload/download, later it may of changed? & they offer www.btck.co.uk
the irony!

Dan
Old July 21st 12, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

reverie and wrote:
[...]

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...k-free-webspac...
When I see things like this, I know it's worth while
http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-...ing-closing-by...

DrT you could only dial in on their number I believe in order to
upload/download, later it may of changed? & they offer http://www.btck.co.uk
the irony!

Dan