Router/thermostat interference?

Old July 26th 12, 03:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+

Default Router/thermostat interference?

My mother recently bought an iPad. In order to let her go on line it in the
front room of her house I moved her router into the hall.

Since the move, the wifi connection to any device seems to disappear every 5
minutes or so for about a minute. This didn't happen before I moved the
router.

I noticed today that she has a wireless thermostat also installed nearby in
the hall (only about 4' away). It's labelled "British Gas RC Plus".

is it possible that the thermostat is causing the problem? The loss of
signal even happens when the CH/HW is off but I guess the thermostat might
still be "chirping" to the boiler regularly.

I should add that she lives in a tennement flat and there are quite a lot of
other wi-fi networks around. I have tried changing the channel once but
this made no obvious difference.

Tim

Old July 26th 12, 03:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D Smith

"Tim+" wrote in message
My mother recently bought an iPad. In order to let her go on line it in
the front room of her house I moved her router into the hall.

Since the move, the wifi connection to any device seems to disappear every
5 minutes or so for about a minute. This didn't happen before I moved
the router.

I noticed today that she has a wireless thermostat also installed nearby
in the hall (only about 4' away). It's labelled "British Gas RC Plus".

is it possible that the thermostat is causing the problem? The loss of
signal even happens when the CH/HW is off but I guess the thermostat might
still be "chirping" to the boiler regularly.

I should add that she lives in a tennement flat and there are quite a lot
of other wi-fi networks around. I have tried changing the channel once
but this made no obvious difference.

Tim

Can you whip the battery out of the thermostat and see if that helps?

Also, can you borrow a PC with WiFi and see what channels are in use around
you? Try to be 3 channels different with yours.

Also, some routers have an "if you see interference, automatically change
channel" feature and this can give the same symptoms. I rely on a manual
check and lock down my channel otherwise SWMBO complains when US radio
(she's a yank) drops out during her favourite streamed radio show.

Paul DS.

Old July 26th 12, 04:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Paul D Smith wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

+1 to all of this. Rf stats use the same band as wifi.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Old August 10th 12, 04:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

Paul D Smith wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

When I read that statement, I checked my own (Honeywell) and the spec
says 868MHz. If the OP's is a Drayton (as I read in a search result),
it will operate on 433MHz. Neither should interfere with Wi-Fi at 2.4GHz.

After complaints from a user in my own Mum's house, I took my laptop to
the seat outside the front door and found 17 networks - this in a low
density area with a lot of elderly neighbours. If you let your signal
level drop, it's likely to be swamped by low-level noise from other
users, especially in a tenement where routers may be only a few metres
apart.

Old August 10th 12, 05:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

[snip]

After complaints from a user in my own Mum's house, I took my laptop to
the seat outside the front door and found 17 networks - this in a low
density area with a lot of elderly neighbours. If you let your signal
level drop, it's likely to be swamped by low-level noise from other
users, especially in a tenement where routers may be only a few metres
apart.

Fundamentally wireless technology is doomed, simply because everybody
wants it. Domestic powerline networking might well go the same way.

The solution is to use cat5 cable.

Pity about all those people who bought hand-held devices lacking an RJ45
connector ...!

--
Graham J

Old August 10th 12, 06:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Jim wrote:
Paul D Smith wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

3rd harmonic is close at 3x868 Mhz or 2.604Ghz and ths of 433 is close
as well.

After complaints from a user in my own Mum's house, I took my laptop to
the seat outside the front door and found 17 networks - this in a low
density area with a lot of elderly neighbours. If you let your signal
level drop, it's likely to be swamped by low-level noise from other
users, especially in a tenement where routers may be only a few metres
apart.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Old August 10th 12, 06:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham J wrote:
[snip]

After complaints from a user in my own Mum's house, I took my laptop to
the seat outside the front door and found 17 networks - this in a low
density area with a lot of elderly neighbours. If you let your signal
level drop, it's likely to be swamped by low-level noise from other
users, especially in a tenement where routers may be only a few metres
apart.

Fundamentally wireless technology is doomed, simply because everybody
wants it. Domestic powerline networking might well go the same way.

The solution is to use cat5 cable.

Pity about all those people who bought hand-held devices lacking an RJ45
connector ...!

I cant even get wifi from this office here to the kitchen about 6m line
of sight - if there was a line of sight,..too much foil backed
plasterboard in the way..

Ne[hew has been and gibe and parked his car near the oil tank. Bang went
the fuel gauge signal as well,.

Old August 10th 12, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jackson

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Graham J wrote:
[snip]

[...]

There are 13 x 2.4GHz wifi channels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
If your laptop has the facility, do what is (on my wife's laptop) a
'site survey'. This does a spectrum analysis of the wifi signals it is
receiving, and it identifies them. See which channels are not being used
(or where the signal is weak), and if possible, change your wifi link to
one of those.
--
Ian
Old August 10th 12, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Ian Jackson" wrote in
message ...
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Graham J wrote:
[snip]

[...]

Better still if you have an Android smartphone you can download a
free wi-fi viewing app which not only shows the signal strength
and channel(s) being used but also shows the SSID. Immensely
useful.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old August 10th 12, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tony sayer

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
Jim wrote:
Paul D Smith wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

I very much doubt that there will be any energy in a 3rd or any other
come to that from those pidley power levels!..

After complaints from a user in my own Mum's house, I took my laptop to
the seat outside the front door and found 17 networks - this in a low
density area with a lot of elderly neighbours. If you let your signal
level drop, it's likely to be swamped by low-level noise from other
users, especially in a tenement where routers may be only a few metres
apart.

Try a crowded street in Cambridge. Most everyone has got one sometimes
more even;!....
--
Tony Sayer