T-Mobile 3G WiFi limits and consequences (fair use policy) etc

Old July 26th 12, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Default T-Mobile 3G WiFi limits and consequences (fair use policy) etc

Hi folks..
In a vaguely broadband/telecom theme hopefully some one can enlighten me
through their own experience...

My old Palm Treo finally died so I'm looking at these new fangled
"smart" phones... Previously on Orange PAYG but since the Everything
Everywhere Orange/T-Mobile merger started looking at T-Mobile plans.

From what I can see, their cheapest offering is a 250Mb "basic" internet
access (no Wi-Fi (bt-fon) option) but I've got that covered by running a
fon box). So, reading the "fair use policy" it then goes on to state:
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/uk/fairuse/
"Your plan will come with an allowance which varies depending on the
plan that you select however we will not charge you if you go over your
allowance. If they go over their allowance we will not charge any
extra or prevent them from using the internet however we may restrict
their usage on downloads and streaming."

What does this really mean? Surely "restricting downloads" would be the
same as not allowing you to access the internet as ever page and every
site would involve a download.

I doubt I'd ever exceed this limit anyway as most of the time it would
be on a hotspot (home or work) but this is a pretty ambiguous.
If anyone can clue me up on the impact of exceeding the t-mobile
allowance I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers
Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Old July 26th 12, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 20:34:51 +0100, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Hi folks..
In a vaguely broadband/telecom theme hopefully some one can enlighten me
through their own experience...

My old Palm Treo finally died so I'm looking at these new fangled
"smart" phones... Previously on Orange PAYG but since the Everything
Everywhere Orange/T-Mobile merger started looking at T-Mobile plans.

From what I can see, their cheapest offering is a 250Mb "basic" internet
access (no Wi-Fi (bt-fon) option) but I've got that covered by running a
fon box). So, reading the "fair use policy" it then goes on to state:
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/uk/fairuse/ "Your plan will come with
an allowance which varies depending on the plan that you select
however we will not charge you if you go over your allowance. If they go
over their allowance we will not charge any extra or prevent them

from
using the internet however we may restrict their usage on downloads and
streaming."

What does this really mean? Surely "restricting downloads" would be the
same as not allowing you to access the internet as ever page and every
site would involve a download.

No, they probably mean they would throttle the speed of your connection.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old July 26th 12, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deux

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 20:34:51 +0100, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

From what I can see, their cheapest offering is a 250Mb "basic" internet
access (no Wi-Fi (bt-fon) option) but I've got that covered by running a
fon box). So, reading the "fair use policy" it then goes on to state:
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/uk/fairuse/ "Your plan will come with
an allowance which varies depending on the plan that you select
however we will not charge you if you go over your allowance. If they go
over their allowance we will not charge any extra or prevent them

from
using the internet however we may restrict their usage on downloads and
streaming."

What does this really mean? Surely "restricting downloads" would be the
same as not allowing you to access the internet as ever page and every
site would involve a download.

Is it me or does that whole paragraph not make a whole lot of sense?
They're using the second person in the first sentence and the third
person in the second sentence.

Old July 27th 12, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Hi folks..
In a vaguely broadband/telecom theme hopefully some one can enlighten
me through their own experience...

My old Palm Treo finally died so I'm looking at these new fangled
"smart" phones... Previously on Orange PAYG but since the Everything
Everywhere Orange/T-Mobile merger started looking at T-Mobile plans.

From what I can see, their cheapest offering is a 250Mb "basic"
internet access (no Wi-Fi (bt-fon) option) but I've got that covered
[...]

I'm on that allowance with T-mobile and I've started getting messages about
having exceeded my allowance. Oddly/annoyingly, my iphone data log doesn't
show any excess use and the T-mobile app won't dive data usage information.

Having said all that, my browsing and email and other web apps all seem to
work as per normal after the notification. I haven't tried accessing video
content over 3G but then I rarely do anyway.

On the whole, I'm very satisfied with the service and the lack of any
surprise hidden charges for supposedly going over my limit. I'm just a bit
put out that neither my phone or the My T-Mobile app seem capable of telling
me what I'm actually using with regards to data. In practice, going over
the limit seems to make very little difference as long as you're not
attempting big data downloads.

Tim

Old July 27th 12, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

On 27/07/2012 10:23, Tim+ wrote:

I'm on that allowance with T-mobile and I've started getting messages
about having exceeded my allowance. Oddly/annoyingly, my iphone data
log doesn't show any excess use and the T-mobile app won't dive data
usage information.

Having said all that, my browsing and email and other web apps all seem
to work as per normal after the notification. I haven't tried accessing
video content over 3G but then I rarely do anyway.

On the whole, I'm very satisfied with the service and the lack of any
surprise hidden charges for supposedly going over my limit. I'm just a
bit put out that neither my phone or the My T-Mobile app seem capable of
telling me what I'm actually using with regards to data. In practice,
going over the limit seems to make very little difference as long as
you're not attempting big data downloads.

Tim

Many thanks Tim. Exactly the info I was after.
Greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - WaterRowers + Gym Equipment.

Old August 7th 12, 04:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Tim+ [email protected]
leaseyahoo.co.uk escribió:

I'm on that allowance with T-mobile and I've started getting messages about
having exceeded my allowance. Oddly/annoyingly, my iphone data log doesn't
show any excess use and the T-mobile app won't dive data usage information.

You're probably running apps that regularly phone home for updates, e.g.
weather, email, etc.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)