Bit OT for Kraftee

Old July 29th 12, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Bit OT for Kraftee

Hi Mr K

I know this is better suited to uk.telecomm but you hang around here so
sorry to others.

A question as I go back to days of Stowger and final
selectors/linefinders etc.

Mates we look after phones/internet have suddenly got problems. The "non
clearing the line after a call" cured by trashing the expensive Onetel
CPS box and putting them all on the cheaper BT options!
However now regularly still severe distortion on the incoming side.
Can't be heard by the caller of course due to clever electronic sidetone
balancing so little hope of getting Indian call centre to understand.
It is same with a semi-oldfashioned phone (bit electronic not a
706)instead of their flashy new DECT ones.
My question is - is there a line card tied to each subs line which could
be faulty?
I am sure it is nothing to do with extensions which feed the modem
upstairs but must go try it on the test socket.
I wonder if I get to hear it on a DECT and then hold an old phone next
to earpiece to feed back problem to call centre they MAY hear it and agree.

Any other ideas before calling out Mr OR who may not find it either and
charge lots of dosh to keep you employed?

Thanks Mate

Mike

Old July 29th 12, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 10:25:59 +0100, m wrote:

[...]

So your plan is to ask the operative in Bangalore for a quality
judgment of her own voice echoed back to her x milliseconds later as
she speaks to you in a foreign language?

Good luck with that one.

So IIUC there is just a single line, and no PABX etc.
How is the extension serving the modem wired?
From the faceplate of an NTE5 perhaps?
However it is done disconnect it at source and try your simple phone
in the master.

No hardwired bells, or Redcare connected?

It could be the exchange linecard, the tests above should eliminate
everything else.

Just one last thought, you mentioned a modem, what is that used for?

I have, years ago, occasionally asked BT to adjust one of the line
parameters to make modems connect reliably with the distant systems.

IIRC it was the received audio level that got increased, and if the
line was also used for speech it did sound uncomfortably loud, and I
could quite understand if it drove some handsets into distortion.

Bit of a long shot that, but I thought it worth mentioning.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 29th 12, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 29/07/2012 11:47, Graham. wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 10:25:59 +0100, wrote:

[...]

From the faceplate of an NTE5 perhaps?
However it is done disconnect it at source and try your simple phone
in the master.

No hardwired bells, or Redcare connected?

It could be the exchange linecard, the tests above should eliminate
everything else.

Just one last thought, you mentioned a modem, what is that used for?

I have, years ago, occasionally asked BT to adjust one of the line
parameters to make modems connect reliably with the distant systems.

IIRC it was the received audio level that got increased, and if the
line was also used for speech it did sound uncomfortably loud, and I
could quite understand if it drove some handsets into distortion.

Bit of a long shot that, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Report it online and bypass Bangalore
https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTrac...on_FURL_faults

George
Old July 29th 12, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"m" wrote in message
Hi Mr K

I know this is better suited to uk.telecomm but you hang around here so
sorry to others.

A question as I go back to days of Stowger and final selectors/linefinders
etc.

Mates we look after phones/internet have suddenly got problems. The "non
clearing the line after a call" cured by trashing the expensive Onetel CPS
box and putting them all on the cheaper BT options!

That does sound like the Onetel box wasn't releasing the line correctly
after each call.

However now regularly still severe distortion on the incoming side. Can't
be heard by the caller of course due to clever electronic sidetone
balancing so little hope of getting Indian call centre to understand.
It is same with a semi-oldfashioned phone (bit electronic not a
706)instead of their flashy new DECT ones.
My question is - is there a line card tied to each subs line which could
be faulty?
I am sure it is nothing to do with extensions which feed the modem
upstairs but must go try it on the test socket.
I wonder if I get to hear it on a DECT and then hold an old phone next to
earpiece to feed back problem to call centre they MAY hear it and agree.

Any other ideas before calling out Mr OR who may not find it either and
charge lots of dosh to keep you employed?

I wish..... (keep me employed that is, at the present moment anybody with
any sort of long term service are being looked upon as a cancer to the
company, the same thinking which stated there is no Aluminum in the network,
midland shelf cabs aren't out there etc etc)

All I can recommend is that you try a corded phone at the demarcation point,
which should be a NTE if it is your incoming audio which is to loud you
could have fun asking Mumbai to get your audio turned down, it should be set
on auto but in these days anything can and often does (like being sent on a
job being told I must raise charges and finding the end user isn't being
supplied ringing current and that is the reason their phones aren't ringing
not the phones themselves, the cherry on that cake was not being allowed
access to the exchange because it wasn't part of my patch, ???????)

Thanks Mate

Mike

Best of luck and I really do hope that you don't get a contractor
--
Kraftee

Old July 29th 12, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

kraftee wrote:

"

[...]

Thanks K and Graham.

I had removed the Onetel box as I say and that made the non-cleardown
problem go away. They were being fleeced anyway as paying a BT line
rental (but not utilising the included free calls) and then paying for
calls from OT on top and at a very high rate especially for
non-geographic and a OT overseas package at a higher rate than BT.
BT's overseas package together with anytime free calls and teh
discounted advance line rental has saved them a fortune.

As regards the distortion, thanks for the thoughts K. I had used a
corded on into the NTE (but not got around to going into the test
socket) and it was OK.
Your comment about send levels means as I thought that there is a
4wire/2wire line card on each subs line and it may have the send level
set very high.
That does sort of tie in with the problem seems to have started when
they got a new set of DECT phones which may not like the high level and
are overdeviating.

I may improve teh ADSL anyway by fitting a filtered faceplate and
extending the BB upstairs on an old extension phone cable (too hard to
install CAT V) I have found that often improves BB speed (though not if
house wiring is old orange/blue/green/brown non-twisted pair cable.
When doing that, I had always found it almost impossible to get RJ11
sockets in teh UK but as someone pinted out, use a CAT V one and wire
the BB to the blue pair and an RJ11 will fit OK.

If it is level, I will try Graham's online fault idea.

Thank both

Mike

Old July 30th 12, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

on 29/07/2012, m supposed :
When doing that, I had always found it almost impossible to get RJ11 sockets
in teh UK

Oh? They seem readily available.

https://www.systemstl.co.uk/search-q...earch=rj11+lju

(no affiliation)