A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Streaming Radio



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 7th 12, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
allegoricus
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Streaming Radio

Can anyone explain why with our Internet Radio (a Roberts Stream 83
connecting via WiFi, although I don't think that's particularly
relevant) we have persistent problems with Radio 2?

All too often there are interruptions in the stream - sometimes brief,
other times of long enough duration to be considered lost - but
connecting to other BBC stations (or stations on the other side of the
world) will invariably result in "normal" performance.

The BBC seem no longer to have a response channel for enquiries and
there's little or nothing to be found about this elsewhere.

SWMBO wants me to switch to DAB (which means extending the aerial) and
resisting is becoming increasingly difficult. :-)
  #2  
Old August 7th 12, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Streaming Radio

allegoricus wrote:
Can anyone explain why with our Internet Radio (a Roberts Stream 83
connecting via WiFi, although I don't think that's particularly
relevant) we have persistent problems with Radio 2?

All too often there are interruptions in the stream - sometimes brief,
other times of long enough duration to be considered lost - but
connecting to other BBC stations (or stations on the other side of the
world) will invariably result in "normal" performance.

The BBC seem no longer to have a response channel for enquiries and
there's little or nothing to be found about this elsewhere.

SWMBO wants me to switch to DAB (which means extending the aerial) and
resisting is becoming increasingly difficult. :-)


I'd guess the beebs streaming links get overloaded. Popular station is
radio 2

I listen on a DVB dongle instead.


--
To people who know nothing, anything is possible.
To people who know too much, it is a sad fact
that they know how little is really possible -
and how hard it is to achieve it.
  #3  
Old August 7th 12, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 620
Default Streaming Radio

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
allegoricus wrote:
Can anyone explain why with our Internet Radio (a Roberts Stream 83
connecting via WiFi, although I don't think that's particularly
relevant) we have persistent problems with Radio 2?

All too often there are interruptions in the stream - sometimes brief,
other times of long enough duration to be considered lost - but
connecting to other BBC stations (or stations on the other side of the
world) will invariably result in "normal" performance.

The BBC seem no longer to have a response channel for enquiries and
there's little or nothing to be found about this elsewhere.

SWMBO wants me to switch to DAB (which means extending the aerial) and
resisting is becoming increasingly difficult. :-)


I'd guess the beebs streaming links get overloaded. Popular station is
radio 2

I listen on a DVB dongle instead.


The concept of large number of people in a similar geographical region
listening to the same radio channel via the internet is severely
misguided - that is what broadcast is for! Thousands of separate data
streams to individual users is an unrealistic load for the streaming
server and for the internet capacity.

If you listen on a VHF/FM radio you will get vastly superior quality to
DAB, especially if the radio can be connected to a roof-mounted antenna.

I gave up trying to listen to DAB (on a Roberts) - horribly blobby sound
quality (like listening underwater) and inferior battery life. The same
radio (ecologic 1) gets VHF/FM with the same antenna in the same
location (windowsill, near several electrically noisy computers) at
acceptable quality - i.e. not perfect, sometimes it nulls as I move about.

By contrast a 35-year old Sangean ATS-801 with PLL tuning bought in Hong
Kong for about 50 works far better than the Roberts ....

--
Graham J


  #4  
Old August 8th 12, 07:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Moonraker
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Streaming Radio

On 07/08/2012 23:26, Graham J wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
allegoricus wrote:
Can anyone explain why with our Internet Radio (a Roberts Stream 83
connecting via WiFi, although I don't think that's particularly
relevant) we have persistent problems with Radio 2?

All too often there are interruptions in the stream - sometimes brief,
other times of long enough duration to be considered lost - but
connecting to other BBC stations (or stations on the other side of the
world) will invariably result in "normal" performance.

The BBC seem no longer to have a response channel for enquiries and
there's little or nothing to be found about this elsewhere.

SWMBO wants me to switch to DAB (which means extending the aerial) and
resisting is becoming increasingly difficult. :-)


I'd guess the beebs streaming links get overloaded. Popular station is
radio 2

I listen on a DVB dongle instead.


The concept of large number of people in a similar geographical region
listening to the same radio channel via the internet is severely
misguided - that is what broadcast is for! Thousands of separate data
streams to individual users is an unrealistic load for the streaming
server and for the internet capacity.

If you listen on a VHF/FM radio you will get vastly superior quality to
DAB, especially if the radio can be connected to a roof-mounted antenna.

I gave up trying to listen to DAB (on a Roberts) - horribly blobby sound
quality (like listening underwater) and inferior battery life. The same
radio (ecologic 1) gets VHF/FM with the same antenna in the same
location (windowsill, near several electrically noisy computers) at
acceptable quality - i.e. not perfect, sometimes it nulls as I move about.

By contrast a 35-year old Sangean ATS-801 with PLL tuning bought in Hong
Kong for about 50 works far better than the Roberts ....

I've never understood why Roberts Radios seem to be the bees knees. I
have had 2 and both were a PITA

--
Residing on low ground in North Staffordshire
  #5  
Old August 8th 12, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 467
Default Streaming Radio

On 08/08/2012 07:53, Moonraker wrote:
On 07/08/2012 23:26, Graham J wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
allegoricus wrote:
Can anyone explain why with our Internet Radio (a Roberts Stream 83
connecting via WiFi, although I don't think that's particularly
relevant) we have persistent problems with Radio 2?

All too often there are interruptions in the stream - sometimes brief,
other times of long enough duration to be considered lost - but
connecting to other BBC stations (or stations on the other side of the
world) will invariably result in "normal" performance.

The BBC seem no longer to have a response channel for enquiries and
there's little or nothing to be found about this elsewhere.

SWMBO wants me to switch to DAB (which means extending the aerial) and
resisting is becoming increasingly difficult. :-)

I'd guess the beebs streaming links get overloaded. Popular station is
radio 2

I listen on a DVB dongle instead.


The concept of large number of people in a similar geographical region
listening to the same radio channel via the internet is severely
misguided - that is what broadcast is for! Thousands of separate data
streams to individual users is an unrealistic load for the streaming
server and for the internet capacity.

If you listen on a VHF/FM radio you will get vastly superior quality to
DAB, especially if the radio can be connected to a roof-mounted antenna.

I gave up trying to listen to DAB (on a Roberts) - horribly blobby sound
quality (like listening underwater) and inferior battery life. The same
radio (ecologic 1) gets VHF/FM with the same antenna in the same
location (windowsill, near several electrically noisy computers) at
acceptable quality - i.e. not perfect, sometimes it nulls as I move
about.

By contrast a 35-year old Sangean ATS-801 with PLL tuning bought in Hong
Kong for about 50 works far better than the Roberts ....

I've never understood why Roberts Radios seem to be the bees knees. I
have had 2 and both were a PITA

They used to be good, years ago - and expensive.
I'm presuming they're now made in China, like everything else, instead
of the UK?
If so, that could be the answer?

George
  #6  
Old August 8th 12, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 114
Default Streaming Radio


"George Weston" wrote in message
...
On 08/08/2012 07:53, Moonraker wrote:
On 07/08/2012 23:26, Graham J wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:


I've never understood why Roberts Radios seem to be the bees knees. I
have had 2 and both were a PITA

They used to be good, years ago - and expensive.
I'm presuming they're now made in China, like everything else, instead of
the UK?
If so, that could be the answer?

George


Roberts have been selling kit from the Far East for decades - from Sangean
in particular. Sangean kit such as my Roberts-badged R808 uphold the Roberts
tradition.

PA



  #7  
Old August 8th 12, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 343
Default Streaming Radio

On 08/08/2012 09:24, Peter Able wrote:
"George Weston" wrote in message
...
On 08/08/2012 07:53, Moonraker wrote:
On 07/08/2012 23:26, Graham J wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:


I've never understood why Roberts Radios seem to be the bees knees. I
have had 2 and both were a PITA

They used to be good, years ago - and expensive.
I'm presuming they're now made in China, like everything else, instead of
the UK?
If so, that could be the answer?

George


Roberts have been selling kit from the Far East for decades - from Sangean
in particular. Sangean kit such as my Roberts-badged R808 uphold the Roberts
tradition.


What of putting a couple of Ferranti modules and an aerial in an
overpriced real wooden box? In the old days the main thing that set them
apart was that their speaker was less tinny and horrible than was
typical of the average transistor radio. Battery consumption was huge.

Regards,
Martin Brown
  #8  
Old August 8th 12, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Streaming Radio

Moonraker wrote:
On 07/08/2012 23:26, Graham J wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
allegoricus wrote:
Can anyone explain why with our Internet Radio (a Roberts Stream 83
connecting via WiFi, although I don't think that's particularly
relevant) we have persistent problems with Radio 2?

All too often there are interruptions in the stream - sometimes brief,
other times of long enough duration to be considered lost - but
connecting to other BBC stations (or stations on the other side of the
world) will invariably result in "normal" performance.

The BBC seem no longer to have a response channel for enquiries and
there's little or nothing to be found about this elsewhere.

SWMBO wants me to switch to DAB (which means extending the aerial) and
resisting is becoming increasingly difficult. :-)

I'd guess the beebs streaming links get overloaded. Popular station is
radio 2

I listen on a DVB dongle instead.


The concept of large number of people in a similar geographical region
listening to the same radio channel via the internet is severely
misguided - that is what broadcast is for! Thousands of separate data
streams to individual users is an unrealistic load for the streaming
server and for the internet capacity.

If you listen on a VHF/FM radio you will get vastly superior quality to
DAB, especially if the radio can be connected to a roof-mounted antenna.

I gave up trying to listen to DAB (on a Roberts) - horribly blobby sound
quality (like listening underwater) and inferior battery life. The same
radio (ecologic 1) gets VHF/FM with the same antenna in the same
location (windowsill, near several electrically noisy computers) at
acceptable quality - i.e. not perfect, sometimes it nulls as I move
about.

By contrast a 35-year old Sangean ATS-801 with PLL tuning bought in Hong
Kong for about 50 works far better than the Roberts ....

I've never understood why Roberts Radios seem to be the bees knees. I
have had 2 and both were a PITA

Once upon a time they *were* the bees knees. Decent loudspeakers, pots
that lasted, aerials that didn't break, knobs that didn't fall
off...then they were taken over and used as a recased rebadged outlet
for the worst of all possible hardware.

Total junk.

Get the one that goes up to 11

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVOKE-1S-Mar...4418488&sr=8-1



--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to
lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the
members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are
rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.
  #9  
Old August 8th 12, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Streaming Radio

Martin Brown wrote:
On 08/08/2012 09:24, Peter Able wrote:
"George Weston" wrote in message
...
On 08/08/2012 07:53, Moonraker wrote:
On 07/08/2012 23:26, Graham J wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:


I've never understood why Roberts Radios seem to be the bees knees. I
have had 2 and both were a PITA

They used to be good, years ago - and expensive.
I'm presuming they're now made in China, like everything else,
instead of
the UK?
If so, that could be the answer?

George


Roberts have been selling kit from the Far East for decades - from
Sangean
in particular. Sangean kit such as my Roberts-badged R808 uphold the
Roberts
tradition.


What of putting a couple of Ferranti modules and an aerial in an
overpriced real wooden box? In the old days the main thing that set them
apart was that their speaker was less tinny and horrible than was
typical of the average transistor radio. Battery consumption was huge.


Er no, it wasn't - due to the very efficient loudspeaker.



Regards,
Martin Brown



--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to
lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the
members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are
rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.
  #10  
Old August 8th 12, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default Streaming Radio

allegoricus presented the following explanation :
Can anyone explain why with our Internet Radio (a Roberts Stream 83
connecting via WiFi, although I don't think that's particularly
relevant) we have persistent problems with Radio 2?

All too often there are interruptions in the stream - sometimes brief,
other times of long enough duration to be considered lost - but
connecting to other BBC stations (or stations on the other side of the
world) will invariably result in "normal" performance.

The BBC seem no longer to have a response channel for enquiries and
there's little or nothing to be found about this elsewhere.

SWMBO wants me to switch to DAB (which means extending the aerial) and
resisting is becoming increasingly difficult. :-)


You don't say where you are but I'm in Preston, Lancashire and I have
the same problem when listening to Radio 2 online. They are trialling a
new system (http://beta.bbc.co.uk/radio2) and the beta doesn't suffer
from the dropouts, whereas the existing system drops out regularly. So,
change to the beta and you'll be fine. On the other hand, stay away
from DAB - the spawn of Satan himself. FM is FAR superior to DAB in
every way.


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bandwidth Used By Streaming Radio Norman uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 September 5th 06 10:44 PM
Internet Radio Geoff Lane uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 2 September 3rd 06 04:19 PM
Radio Frequecies Reg Edwards uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 9 July 10th 06 07:48 PM
[SIP] Multimedia, TV and radio streaming kael uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 3 July 9th 06 12:44 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.