Problems with ntlworld outgoing mail anyone?

Old August 9th 12, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default Problems with ntlworld outgoing mail anyone?

Any of you out there with a ntlworld.com e-mail account using
smtp.ntlworld.com as the outgoing mail server and having problems
sending?

I am using the same settings I have used for at least two years
and I am getting an almost total failure rate - then all of a
sudden the mail will go, and this is across any one of five
e-mail addresses. The helpdesk said I should be sending mail to
smtp.virginmedia.com - but how can that work when I have a
ntlworld account?

Any polite suggestions gratefully received.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old August 9th 12, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Woody" wrote in message
Any of you out there with a ntlworld.com e-mail account using
smtp.ntlworld.com as the outgoing mail server and having problems
sending?

I am using the same settings I have used for at least two years
and I am getting an almost total failure rate - then all of a
sudden the mail will go, and this is across any one of five
e-mail addresses. The helpdesk said I should be sending mail to
smtp.virginmedia.com - but how can that work when I have a
ntlworld account?

Any polite suggestions gratefully received.

Simples really, NTL have changed the servers name to reflex their new
branding.
--
Kraftee

Old August 9th 12, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"kraftee" wrote in message

"Woody" wrote in message
Any of you out there with a ntlworld.com e-mail account using
smtp.ntlworld.com as the outgoing mail server and having
problems
sending?

I am using the same settings I have used for at least two
years
and I am getting an almost total failure rate - then all of a
sudden the mail will go, and this is across any one of five
e-mail addresses. The helpdesk said I should be sending mail
smtp.virginmedia.com - but how can that work when I have a
ntlworld account?

Any polite suggestions gratefully received.

Simples really, NTL have changed the servers name to reflex
their new branding.
--

Wouldn't it be nice if they took the trouble to advise their
customers?

Old August 10th 12, 12:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Woody wrote:
"kraftee" wrote in message
"Woody" wrote in message
Any of you out there with a ntlworld.com e-mail account using
smtp.ntlworld.com as the outgoing mail server and having
problems
sending?

I am using the same settings I have used for at least two
years
and I am getting an almost total failure rate - then all of a
sudden the mail will go, and this is across any one of five
e-mail addresses. The helpdesk said I should be sending mail
smtp.virginmedia.com - but how can that work when I have a
ntlworld account?

Any polite suggestions gratefully received.

Simples really, NTL have changed the servers name to reflex
their new branding.
--

Wouldn't it be nice if they took the trouble to advise their
customers?

Its worse. Those servers are in fact on different IP addresses.

I'd contact support to see WTF you should be using

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Old August 10th 12, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

"Woody" considered Thu, 9 Aug 2012
21:48:18 +0100 the perfect time to write:

"kraftee" wrote in message

"Woody" wrote in message
Any of you out there with a ntlworld.com e-mail account using
smtp.ntlworld.com as the outgoing mail server and having
problems
sending?

I am using the same settings I have used for at least two
years
and I am getting an almost total failure rate - then all of a
sudden the mail will go, and this is across any one of five
e-mail addresses. The helpdesk said I should be sending mail
smtp.virginmedia.com - but how can that work when I have a
ntlworld account?

Any polite suggestions gratefully received.

Simples really, NTL have changed the servers name to reflex
their new branding.
--

Wouldn't it be nice if they took the trouble to advise their
customers?

I don't think they are the same servers (different IP addresses),
although it is probably the plan that they will be.
Once they have everyone using smtp.virginmedia.com (which will have
been set up to host ntlworld addresses as well as virginmedia.com
ones), they will switch off the old server.

You can set up a mail server to handle mail for any domain you want it
to, and if you have control of the MX records for that domain, the
mail will route correctly in both directions.

If you run your own mail server, you and a friend can "mailbag" for
each other, with each mailserver acting as a backup for the other,
even if those mailservers are in completely different domains, or even
countries. You just need to set the priority so that the alternate
mail server has a lower priority (higher MX preference number), and
set it up to forward any mail that arrives there once the preferred
server (lowest MX preference number) comes back on line.
Old August 11th 12, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 21:14:57 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

Any of you out there with a ntlworld.com e-mail account using
smtp.ntlworld.com as the outgoing mail server and having problems
sending?

I am using the same settings I have used for at least two years
and I am getting an almost total failure rate - then all of a
sudden the mail will go, and this is across any one of five
e-mail addresses. The helpdesk said I should be sending mail to
smtp.virginmedia.com - but how can that work when I have a
ntlworld account?

Any polite suggestions gratefully received.

on mine inbound mail still works on the pop3.ntlworld.com server at
least for now, but outbound completely broke several days ago.

now reconfigured to use the smtp.virginmedia.com server. You need the
full email address for the server to authenticate.
--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl
Old August 11th 12, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Freeman

"kraftee" wrote:

Simples really, NTL have changed the servers name to reflex their new
branding.

BTConnect pulled that trick some months ago, they outsourced their mail to
microsoft and sent an email saying that I should redo my email setup and
that I might need to renew my password. However since the email they sent
was inviting me to click on links to an anonymous third party website for
further info I presumed it was a phishing attack and ignored it, only for
my email to stop arriving about a month later. (Confusingly the old server
is still reachable, it just doesn't get any mail!)

It turned out that I needed to change the email server from btconnect.com
to outlook.com, something that thunderbird's account wizard is still
blissfully unaware of as I found when trying to set up an extra account
recently.

"All my life I wanted to be someone; I guess I should
have been more specific." -- Jane Wagner
Old August 11th 12, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Brown

On 09/08/2012 21:14, Woody wrote:
Any of you out there with a ntlworld.com e-mail account using
smtp.ntlworld.com as the outgoing mail server and having problems
sending?

I am using the same settings I have used for at least two years
and I am getting an almost total failure rate - then all of a
sudden the mail will go, and this is across any one of five
e-mail addresses. The helpdesk said I should be sending mail to
smtp.virginmedia.com - but how can that work when I have a
ntlworld account?

Easy. POP3 and SMTP are different services and there's no reason why
they shouldn't be on different servers with different servernames.

Any polite suggestions gratefully received.

Yep, do what they suggest, and provide authentication to the SMTP server
if it proves necessary, but it may not be as it's all the same ISP.

--
mb
Old August 13th 12, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deux

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 21:14:57 +0100, Woody wrote:

Any of you out there with a ntlworld.com e-mail account

Is this a delayed post from the early 90s?

Old August 14th 12, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

Deux wrote:
On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 21:14:57 +0100, Woody wrote:

Any of you out there with a ntlworld.com e-mail account

Is this a delayed post from the early 90s?

I was thinking that too, I ditched my ntlworld addys long ago.
gmail and ymail much more permanent, reliable, extra features

The new outlook.com looking good too, MS taking gmail head on

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and £5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk