BT infinity

Old August 16th 12, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bertrand Zidler

Default BT infinity

Here are my first impressions after 3 weeks using bt infinity (FTTC) option 2.

1) The package

It does not include much, apart from the connection to the Internet, and the hardware with a modem and a wifi router.
No web space, no Usenet server that any other ISP would automatically include. Of course you can buy some web space
for a few quids (or even use a free web server), and also access a free nntp server. So this is not a big deal, but
still could make the package more attractive if coming with it. Some sites such as TPB are blocked by BT, by
agreement with the government, but can be accessed by several other ways. This is therefore not a real problem,
although annoying. I think the list of sites censured should be mentioned somewhere in the contract. Any client
intending to do P2P on this network, should seriously consider using a VPN. The contract last 18 months and you can
keep the kit after 12 months. Many ISPs have a contract of 12 months, but you buy the router of your choice.

2) The speed

Advertised as "up to 80 Mbs", it became a speed that "should be" 57.1Mb/s (downstream) and 20Mb/s (upstream) in the
letter I received a few days before the visit of the BT engineer. I get 8Mb/s on http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/.
Overall, compared to my former ADSL connection, I don't see much improvement for general use of the web. File
transfers or P2P, can be faster, early in the morning. Traffic management however is limiting the total amount of
data you could transfer, P2P especially, is almost impossible in the evening. So again, the word unlimited, even
under T&C, should not be used.

3) The support

I tried their support, which is a real nightmare. After navigating in a maze of automatic menu, you may eventually be
put on a waiting list, with or without music. I was disconnected twice and had to retry from square one. Took around
1 hour before being able to talk to a technician.

4) The reliability

This is where I am really disappointed. All above points were expected, and I could cope with them after all. But I
expected a connection that would be up 99% of the time, may be even more ! During just the last 3 days it has been
down several hours every day. May be some maintenance, or some problem that will be fixed soon. Hopefully. But at
least you would expect some mail from your provider.

Conclusion

I don't know if these move to FTTC have been tested enough. I hope that BT will sort out the problems and improve
their service. But at this stage I would just say that I am not impressed.

Old August 16th 12, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Bertrand Zidler wrote:

It does not include much, apart from the connection to the Internet

The slow change from internet service providers to internet access
providers ...

I get 8Mb/s on http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/.

Sounds like something's wrong, AFAIK BT won't sell you Infinity at such
slow speeds (they will offer you a generic fibre product) you need to
moan at them to provide you with decent FTTC speed, or to revert you to
ADSL2+

I don't know if these move to FTTC have been tested enough. I hope that BT will sort out the problems and improve
their service. But at this stage I would just say that I am not impressed.

Sounds like you've got a rogue install ... moan louder at them
Old August 16th 12, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Bertrand Zidler submitted this idea :
Here are my first impressions after 3 weeks using bt infinity (FTTC) option
2.

1) The package

It does not include much, apart from the connection to the Internet, and the
hardware with a modem and a wifi router. No web space, no Usenet server

BT has a good usenet service provided by Giganews and IIRC, there are
about 112,000 groups on news.btinternet.com

2) The speed

Advertised as "up to 80 Mbs", it became a speed that "should be" 57.1Mb/s
(downstream) and 20Mb/s (upstream) in the letter I received a few days
before the visit of the BT engineer. I get 8Mb/s on
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/. Overall, compared to my former ADSL
connection, I don't see much improvement for general use of the web.

I get a rock-solid 74.2mbps down and 16.3mbps up. General websurfing
won't show a great improvement anyway. If the website you're looking at
can only squirt out data at 1.0mbps, that's all you can receive it at,
even though your line is capable of far greater speeds.

4) The reliability

This is where I am really disappointed. All above points were expected, and I
could cope with them after all. But I expected a connection that would be up
99% of the time, may be even more ! During just the last 3 days it has been
down several hours every day. May be some maintenance, or some problem that
will be fixed soon. Hopefully. But at least you would expect some mail from
your provider.

As Andy said, something is wrong. Get them back to sort it. Mine is
rock-solid and very reliable and has been since day 1.

Old August 16th 12, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Andy Burns wrote on 16/08/2012 :
Bertrand Zidler wrote:

It does not include much, apart from the connection to the Internet

The slow change from internet service providers to internet access providers

I remember those wonderful days of internet *access* when there was
only Compuserve and AOL providing 'services and content' and I truly
wish we could go back to the times when BT Internet was just a gateway
to the internet, and ditch all the Yahpoo crap.

Old August 16th 12, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Bertrand Zidler wrote:

It does not include much, apart from the connection to the Internet

The slow change from internet service providers to internet access
providers

I remember those wonderful days of internet *access* when there was only
Compuserve and AOL providing 'services and content' and I truly wish we
could go back to the times when BT Internet was just a gateway to the
internet, and ditch all the Yahpoo crap.

Indeed.

The cost of doing the service is infinitely (sic!) less than the cost of
doing the connectivity BUT it does require a crucial element: technical
competence.

Anyone with MONEY can buy fibre and termination kit and install a
broadband line, route it back to HQ and a radius server complex and
advertise it as the dogs bollox, or the way to pull 20 spanish birds
simultaneously.

It takes a bit more than that to run a mail server.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Old August 16th 12, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Bertrand Zidler wrote:
Here are my first impressions after 3 weeks using bt infinity (FTTC) option 2.

[snip]

Conclusion

I don't know if these move to FTTC have been tested enough. I hope that BT will sort out the problems and improve
their service. But at this stage I would just say that I am not impressed.

The lesson for us all is not to buy a BT service. Buy from an ISP that
offers decent service!!!

--
Graham J
Old August 16th 12, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

On 16/08/2012 10:09, Bertrand Zidler wrote:
Here are my first impressions after 3 weeks using bt infinity (FTTC) option 2.

Advertised as "up to 80 Mbs", it became a speed that "should be" 57.1Mb/s (downstream) and 20Mb/s (upstream) in the
letter I received a few days before the visit of the BT engineer. I get 8Mb/s on http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/.

Try:

http://www.speedtester.bt.com/beta/speedtest-remote.jsp

Flop
Old August 16th 12, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

Bertrand Zidler writted thus:

Here are my first impressions after 3 weeks using bt infinity (FTTC)
option 2.

1) The package

It does not include much, apart from the connection to the Internet, and
the hardware with a modem and a wifi router.

what more hardware do you need?

Some sites such as TPB are blocked by BT, by agreement
with the government, but can be accessed by several other ways. This is
therefore not a real problem, although annoying. I think the list of
sites censured should be mentioned somewhere in the contract. Any client
intending to do P2P on this network, should seriously consider using a
VPN.

If you can't get around simple site blocking and tracker dropout you
shouldn't be worrying about technical nuances of the general service as
you are obviously not using a proper P2P client. All UK isp's will follow
the big 3 in blocking illegal P2P sites and trackers soon. Try qBittorrent
on Linux in encrypted mode...

The contract last 18 months and you can keep the kit after 12
months. Many ISPs have a contract of 12 months, but you buy the router
of your choice.

So you saved yourself the cost of a router, well done. You can still buy
the router of your choice, and then you'll have two...

2) The speed

Advertised as "up to 80 Mbs", it became a speed that "should be"
57.1Mb/s (downstream) and 20Mb/s (upstream) in the letter I received a
few days before the visit of the BT engineer. I get 8Mb/s on
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/. Overall, compared to my former ADSL
connection,

You have had a bad install or a bad line to the street cabinet. Shout
like hell until they fix it. If the engineer showed you the speed on his
meter was OK on installation you may have an inside problem between the
house box and the router. You should get at least 75% of the advertised
speed in your estimate letter 99% of the time from the test socket hidden
behind the front panel of the internal house wall box.

I don't see much improvement for general use of the web.

Not really surprising as most pages will not download faster than 1mbps
and streaming video will often top out at 4Mb/s. For smoother streaming
increase the players cache size.

File transfers or P2P, can be faster, early in the morning. Traffic
management however is limiting the total amount of data you could
transfer, P2P especially, is almost impossible in the evening. So again,
the word unlimited, even under T&C, should not be used.

It is 100% unlimited for legal traffic.

Anyone with a licence can drive a car, but bad driving or breaking the
rules loses your licence. BT have only one strict rule, don't use P2P in
peak times.

3) The support

I tried their support, which is a real nightmare. After navigating in a
maze of automatic menu, you may eventually be put on a waiting list,
with or without music. I was disconnected twice and had to retry from
square one. Took around 1 hour before being able to talk to a
technician.

Use the online BT support forums and don't be rude or aggressive, the
mods in there can get surprisingly good results if approached correctly.

[...]

You are just unlucky. My infinity3 has been up 100% for 5 months, all
running smoothly apart from one night when the DNS servers got borked for
a few hours their end. My speed often reaches 70Mb/s, but is an average
55Mb/s. I expect nothing more from an originally advertised 40Mb/s.

As for P2P, be selective in running it. I can get 60Mb/s during the day
depending upon the seed cloud, but I don't hammer it 24/7. It's because
of ******s take the **** and leaving it running 24/7 that BT is P2P
traffic managed in the first place.

I admit that BT infinity is not the best isp by far, but they are the
best compromise on speed v cost in the long term for most heavier users.

--
http://db.tt/aI6WBZ7w
Old August 16th 12, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bertrand Zidler

tigger wrote:

what more hardware do you need?

Don't need anything else. I did not criticise their hardware.

If you can't get around simple site blocking and tracker
dropout you shouldn't be worrying about technical nuances of
the general service as you are obviously not using a proper P2P
client. All UK isp's will follow the big 3 in blocking illegal
P2P sites and trackers soon. Try qBittorrent on Linux in
encrypted mode...

It's not sure that other ISP will follow. I use Ktorrent in encrypted mode on Opensuse 12.1, which works ok. No
reason to use qbittorrent, which is also a good client.

Use the online BT support forums and don't be rude or
aggressive, the mods in there can get surprisingly good results
if approached correctly.

How do you use the forum when your connection is down ?

You are just unlucky. My infinity3 has been up 100% for 5
months, all running smoothly apart from one night when the DNS
servers got borked for a few hours their end. My speed often
reaches 70Mb/s, but is an average 55Mb/s. I expect nothing more
from an originally advertised 40Mb/s.

As for P2P, be selective in running it. I can get 60Mb/s during
the day depending upon the seed cloud, but I don't hammer it
24/7. It's because of ******s take the **** and leaving it
running 24/7 that BT is P2P traffic managed in the first place.

I admit that BT infinity is not the best isp by far, but they
are the best compromise on speed v cost in the long term for
most heavier users.

Interesting. Thank you for these remarks.

Old August 16th 12, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Bertrand Zidler wrote:

tigger wrote:

Use the online BT support forums

How do you use the forum when your connection is down ?

Use the same connection you use to post here?