Skype hijack

Old August 21st 12, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Default Skype hijack

Did you really give my name to Skype to ask me to join it, or is this
a scam? Did they steal your e-mail address?

Davey.

To which she replied:

I was as surprised as you were!
I have joined Skype so that I can keep in touch quicker and cheaper
with my sister and a friend in Zambia and never expected my BT phone
book to be accessed by Skype and everyone on it has received the same
invitation as you did. A lesson for me I am afraid.

--
Davey.

Old August 22nd 12, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 22:57:00 +0100, Davey
wrote:

Did you really give my name to Skype to ask me to join it, or is this
a scam? Did they steal your e-mail address?

Davey.

To which she replied:

I was as surprised as you were!
I have joined Skype so that I can keep in touch quicker and cheaper
with my sister and a friend in Zambia and never expected my BT phone
book to be accessed by Skype and everyone on it has received the same
invitation as you did. A lesson for me I am afraid.

I suspect this reflects more on your friend rather than Skype.

Tell me about it!

I have at least three acquaintances that do this kind of thing, and
they all aught to know better.

One replies to the email equivalent of chain letters, and includes her
entire address book. The concept of Bcc has yet to be understood.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old August 22nd 12, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

wrote:

Did you really give my name to Skype to ask me to join it, or is
this a scam? Did they steal your e-mail address?

Davey.

To which she replied:

I was as surprised as you were!
I have joined Skype so that I can keep in touch quicker and cheaper
with my sister and a friend in Zambia and never expected my BT phone
book to be accessed by Skype and everyone on it has received the same
invitation as you did. A lesson for me I am afraid.

I suspect this reflects more on your friend rather than Skype.

Could be. I only know her as an ex-tenant. I have never done anything
with Skype, so have no idea what they ask/assume/demand of a new
subscriber.

Tell me about it!

I have at least three acquaintances that do this kind of thing, and
they all aught to know better.

One replies to the email equivalent of chain letters, and includes her
entire address book. The concept of Bcc has yet to be understood.

That whole last paragraph is sad; but still common.
--
Davey.
Old August 22nd 12, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Did you really give my name to Skype to ask me to join it, or is this
a scam? Did they steal your e-mail address?
Davey.

To which she replied:

I was as surprised as you were!
I have joined Skype so that I can keep in touch quicker and cheaper
with my sister and a friend in Zambia and never expected my BT phone
book to be accessed by Skype and everyone on it has received the same
invitation as you did. A lesson for me I am afraid.

I suspect this reflects more on your friend rather than Skype.

Tell me about it!

I have at least three acquaintances that do this kind of thing, and
they all aught to know better.

^^^^^^^^^^^OUGHT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

aught means 'anything' CF also 'owt'

One replies to the email equivalent of chain letters, and includes her
entire address book. The concept of Bcc has yet to be understood.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Old August 22nd 12, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

wrote:

Did you really give my name to Skype to ask me to join it, or is this
a scam? Did they steal your e-mail address?

Davey.

To which she replied:

I was as surprised as you were!
I have joined Skype so that I can keep in touch quicker and cheaper
with my sister and a friend in Zambia and never expected my BT phone
book to be accessed by Skype and everyone on it has received the same
invitation as you did. A lesson for me I am afraid.

I suspect this reflects more on your friend rather than Skype.

Tell me about it!

I have at least three acquaintances that do this kind of thing, and
they all aught to know better.

One replies to the email equivalent of chain letters, and includes her
entire address book. The concept of Bcc has yet to be understood.

You're wrong there. I have experienced ISPs mail servers filtering out all
incoming Bcc messages.

Perhaps your comment is more a reflection upon your group of acquaintances?

--
Kraftee

Old August 22nd 12, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Graham. laid this down on his screen :
wrote:

Did you really give my name to Skype to ask me to join it, or is this
a scam? Did they steal your e-mail address?
Davey.

To which she replied:

I was as surprised as you were!
I have joined Skype so that I can keep in touch quicker and cheaper
with my sister and a friend in Zambia and never expected my BT phone
book to be accessed by Skype and everyone on it has received the same
invitation as you did. A lesson for me I am afraid.

I suspect this reflects more on your friend rather than Skype.

Tell me about it!

I have at least three acquaintances that do this kind of thing, and
they all aught to know better.

One replies to the email equivalent of chain letters, and includes her
entire address book. The concept of Bcc has yet to be understood.

Bcc often gets rejected as an anti-spam measure so not much use these
days.

Old August 22nd 12, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Davey explained on 21/08/2012 :
Did you really give my name to Skype to ask me to join it, or is this
a scam? Did they steal your e-mail address?

Davey.

To which she replied:

I was as surprised as you were!
I have joined Skype so that I can keep in touch quicker and cheaper
with my sister and a friend in Zambia and never expected my BT phone
book to be accessed by Skype and everyone on it has received the same
invitation as you did. A lesson for me I am afraid.

I helped a friend join/open up a new Skype account just a few days ago
and nothing like that happened. I suspect that some box was ticked or
missed somewhere that allowed it to happen.

Old August 22nd 12, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

[...]

the far end can't tell.
Its only the mail relay that can see 100+ Bccs on a mail message

I now run my own :-)

Old August 22nd 12, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Murray

"kraftee" writes:

You're wrong there. I have experienced ISPs mail servers filtering
out all incoming Bcc messages.

How does the server know about Bcc? The Bcc header is (or should be)
only handled by the SMTP client to determine which email addresses (and
therefore which servers) to send the mail to. The server cannot tell the
difference (RFC2369 and Resent-* headers excepted) between an email from
a mailing list, a forwarded email, and one sent using Bcc. They all have
the (envelope) Rcpt To: set to a 'local' email address but have the
(message) To: & Cc: headers all set to other email addresses.
Old August 23rd 12, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 23:52:02 +0100, Graham Murray wrote:

"kraftee" writes:

You're wrong there. I have experienced ISPs mail servers filtering out
all incoming Bcc messages.

How does the server know about Bcc? The Bcc header is (or should be)
only handled by the SMTP client to determine which email addresses (and
therefore which servers) to send the mail to. The server cannot tell the
difference (RFC2369 and Resent-* headers excepted) between an email from
a mailing list, a forwarded email, and one sent using Bcc. They all have
the (envelope) Rcpt To: set to a 'local' email address but have the
(message) To: & Cc: headers all set to other email addresses.

It can match recipients against the To: header and see what's missing?
Obviously it may not see all of the Bcc'd addresses unless it's the first
hop.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org