Rutland Telecom unreliability

Old August 28th 12, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default Rutland Telecom unreliability

A friend has VDSL from Rutland Telecom. It's been reasonably reliable
since the initial installation (May 2010) - meaning it only loses
connection 3 or 4 times per week.

It's got worse recently - several failures per day, and today it doesn't
stay up for more than a few minutes.

The VDSL modem doesn't tell us anything about the line status - all we
know is that there is no connection to the ouside world.

There is a voice service on the same line - that has also been intermittent.

Has anybody else experienced problems with Rutland Telecom?

--
Graham J

Old August 28th 12, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:01:59 +0100
Graham J [email protected] wrote:

A friend has VDSL from Rutland Telecom. It's been reasonably
reliable since the initial installation (May 2010) - meaning it only
loses connection 3 or 4 times per week.

It's got worse recently - several failures per day, and today it
doesn't stay up for more than a few minutes.

The VDSL modem doesn't tell us anything about the line status - all
we know is that there is no connection to the ouside world.

There is a voice service on the same line - that has also been
intermittent.

Has anybody else experienced problems with Rutland Telecom?

Surely the accompanying loss of voice service means that the line has a
fault, which the supplier should fix.
--
Davey.
Old August 28th 12, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:01:59 +0100, Graham J [email protected] wrote:

A friend has VDSL from Rutland Telecom. It's been reasonably reliable
since the initial installation (May 2010) - meaning it only loses
connection 3 or 4 times per week.

It's got worse recently - several failures per day, and today it doesn't
stay up for more than a few minutes.

The VDSL modem doesn't tell us anything about the line status - all we
know is that there is no connection to the ouside world.

There is a voice service on the same line - that has also been intermittent.

Has anybody else experienced problems with Rutland Telecom?

As the voice service is also affected it is likely to be a copper
fault between the house and the cabinet.

Those wires are the responsibility of Openreach, but your friend will
need to get RT to escalate the fault to them.

Stress the problem as being primarily with the phone service as this
will give RT fewer opportunities to blame the customers computers,
router, etc, and delaying escalating the fault.

I would not consider 3 or 4 disconnection events per week to be
'reasonably reliable' but I don't have enough to go on to say whose
fault that is. It could be flaky wi-fi if that's what they use.

Doesn't the VDSL modem have status lights so you can tell if it's the
broadband that's dropping out?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old August 29th 12, 01:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

Graham J [email protected] considered Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:01:59 +0100
the perfect time to write:

A friend has VDSL from Rutland Telecom. It's been reasonably reliable
since the initial installation (May 2010) - meaning it only loses
connection 3 or 4 times per week.

If that had been per year, I'd have been with you.
Average time between failures of 48 hours is completely unacceptable,
and certainly not what I would describe as "reasonably reliable".

It's got worse recently - several failures per day, and today it doesn't
stay up for more than a few minutes.

The VDSL modem doesn't tell us anything about the line status - all we
know is that there is no connection to the ouside world.

There is a voice service on the same line - that has also been intermittent.

Then that's your problem.

Has anybody else experienced problems with Rutland Telecom?

It's Openreach (the owner of the copper wires between your friend and
the cabinet where voice and data are separated) that is responsible,
although he'll have to go through RT to get it fixed, if he also has
his voice service from them.
Stress that it is a voice fault that is affecting data (or "forget" to
mention the data at all) if you want a quick fix.
Old August 29th 12, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Graham. wrote:
[snip]

Doesn't the VDSL modem have status lights so you can tell if it's the
broadband that's dropping out?

Yes, but unless you are there to look at them they are no help. There's
no logging capability to record what happened and when.

Sometimes the status light is good but one can't ping the outside world,
or ping the VDSL interface on the router from the outside world.

--
Graham J
Old August 29th 12, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Phil W Lee wrote:
Graham J [email protected] considered Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:01:59 +0100
the perfect time to write:

A friend has VDSL from Rutland Telecom. It's been reasonably reliable
since the initial installation (May 2010) - meaning it only loses
connection 3 or 4 times per week.

If that had been per year, I'd have been with you.
Average time between failures of 48 hours is completely unacceptable,
and certainly not what I would describe as "reasonably reliable".

I would be interested to hear other experiences on this. Most of the
connections I support drop between midnight and 6am several times per
week. A straw poll (of connections via Zen Internet) shows town & city
centre locations having up times of several hundred hours, rural
locations generally no more than 24 hours.

Are there ISPs who could report their average connection up-times here
(Bob Eager?)

It's got worse recently - several failures per day, and today it doesn't
stay up for more than a few minutes.

The VDSL modem doesn't tell us anything about the line status - all we
know is that there is no connection to the ouside world.

There is a voice service on the same line - that has also been intermittent.

Then that's your problem.

Has anybody else experienced problems with Rutland Telecom?

It's Openreach (the owner of the copper wires between your friend and
the cabinet where voice and data are separated) that is responsible,
although he'll have to go through RT to get it fixed, if he also has
his voice service from them.
Stress that it is a voice fault that is affecting data (or "forget" to
mention the data at all) if you want a quick fix.

The voice service does not necessarily fail at the same time as the VDSL
connection.

My friend reports that RT:

"... keep blaming their Voice Service Provider Gladwell for Problems in
the exchange ..."

--
Graham J

Old August 30th 12, 01:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

Graham J [email protected] considered Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:28:49 +0100
the perfect time to write:

Phil W Lee wrote:
[...]

I'm rural, and with Zen - my experience is fine.
I've had two disconnects since the upgrade to 21CN, which was six
months ago - both were in the early stages when it was stabilising.
Excluding the brief disconnect when 21CN was enabled, and the one when
a power cut exceeded the ability of my UPS to keep my network running,
that makes a total of three disconnects in the three-and-a-half years
since the service was moved from Nildram, after their QOS collapsed
under Tiscali mis-management.
Total downtime of about 3 hours (plus 5 without power, when the line
may have been fine, but my ability to connect to it was somewhat
restricted) in 42 months.
It has twice gone over a year without disconnection.
Speed is also good, with 6.5Mbit/s before 21CN and 13.5Mbit/s since,
both being actual measured throughput, not connection speed, which is
of course higher.
And yes, I'm sad enough to log it all (or rather, to include it in my
firewall & NTP logs).
My logging method may have missed outages of under 32 seconds, if you
want to be picky.

Now, it may be that I have an unusually good line, but if so, why was
my service so poor under Nildram/Tiscali that I was released early
without penalty from the 12 month minimum contract after moving?

[...]

How would you know, unless you were on a (voice) call at the time the
VDSL went down?

My friend reports that RT:

"... keep blaming their Voice Service Provider Gladwell for Problems in
the exchange ..."

I'm still betting on the copper between subscriber and cabinet.
Old August 30th 12, 08:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

[snip]

[...]

Spectacular !!!

Has anybody else got anywhere near that?

--
Graham J

Old August 30th 12, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:28:49 +0100, Graham J [email protected] wrote:

Phil W Lee wrote:
[...]

That will be Gradwell.

I'm now wondering if the voice fault and VDSL fault are completely
separate issues after all.

How exactly does the voice fault manifest itself.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%