About those bcc's

Old September 5th 12, 02:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default About those bcc's

We discussed this some time ago, and yes, I can report that gmail is
essentially broken

Yep. Google mail doesn't like you sending mail to more than one
recipient at a time

Dorks

From my logs...

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT : host
gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.66.26]: 451-4.3.0 Multiple
destination domains per transaction is unsupported. Please\n451 4.3.0
try again. x54si2311741xxx.2

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Old September 5th 12, 06:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 02:31:54 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

We discussed this some time ago, and yes, I can report that gmail is
essentially broken

Yep. Google mail doesn't like you sending mail to more than one
recipient at a time

Dorks

From my logs...

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT : host
gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.66.26]: 451-4.3.0 Multiple
destination domains per transaction is unsupported. Please\n451 4.3.0
try again. x54si2311741xxx.2

Not *quite* what it says.....

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old September 5th 12, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 02:31:54 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

We discussed this some time ago, and yes, I can report that gmail is
essentially broken

Yep. Google mail doesn't like you sending mail to more than one
recipient at a time

Dorks

From my logs...

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT :
host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.66.26]: 451-4.3.0 Multiple
destination domains per transaction is unsupported. Please\n451
4.3.0 try again. x54si2311741xxx.2

Funny, I have no problem with it at all, to multiple Bcc addresses,
and no To: or CC: ones.
--
Davey.
Old September 5th 12, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 02:31:54 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

We discussed this some time ago, and yes, I can report that gmail is
essentially broken

Yep. Google mail doesn't like you sending mail to more than one
recipient at a time

Dorks

From my logs...

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT : host
gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.66.26]: 451-4.3.0 Multiple
destination domains per transaction is unsupported. Please\n451 4.3.0
try again. x54si2311741xxx.2

Not *quite* what it says.....

recipients. It rejected all of them.

Al

Old September 5th 12, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Davey wrote:
On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 02:31:54 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

We discussed this some time ago, and yes, I can report that gmail is
essentially broken

Yep. Google mail doesn't like you sending mail to more than one
recipient at a time

Dorks

From my logs...

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT :
host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.66.26]: 451-4.3.0 Multiple
destination domains per transaction is unsupported. Please\n451
4.3.0 try again. x54si2311741xxx.2

Funny, I have no problem with it at all, to multiple Bcc addresses,
and no To: or CC: ones.

Maybe your relay split them up into single messages.
I've googled (sic!) that error and it is causing a lot of people a lot
of grief: gmail is basically broken for mailing lists. So if you are
using gmail and want to be on a mailing list chances are you will never
get the message.

Old September 5th 12, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 12:01:46 +0100

Davey wrote:
On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 02:31:54 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

We discussed this some time ago, and yes, I can report that gmail
is essentially broken

Yep. Google mail doesn't like you sending mail to more than one
recipient at a time

Dorks

From my logs...

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT :
host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.66.26]: 451-4.3.0
Multiple destination domains per transaction is unsupported.
Please\n451 4.3.0 try again. x54si2311741xxx.2

Funny, I have no problem with it at all, to multiple Bcc addresses,
and no To: or CC: ones.

Maybe your relay split them up into single messages.
I've googled (sic!) that error and it is causing a lot of people a
lot of grief: gmail is basically broken for mailing lists. So if you
are using gmail and want to be on a mailing list chances are you will
never get the message.

Interesting. Maybe it works for me because I only have five or six
addressees for any one message. I'll try a six-recipient one tonight,
and see what happens.
Of course, not being on a successful mailing list should cut down on
the number of 'Sign at the bottom and return to help The
Whales/Eagles/Three-toed Sloths/Poor children of Africa' requests.
--
Davey.
Old September 5th 12, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Davey wrote:
On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 02:31:54 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

We discussed this some time ago, and yes, I can report that gmail
is essentially broken

Yep. Google mail doesn't like you sending mail to more than one
recipient at a time

Dorks

From my logs...

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT :
host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.66.26]: 451-4.3.0
Multiple destination domains per transaction is unsupported.
Please\n451 4.3.0 try again. x54si2311741xxx.2

Funny, I have no problem with it at all, to multiple Bcc addresses,
and no To: or CC: ones.

Maybe your relay split them up into single messages.
I've googled (sic!) that error and it is causing a lot of people a
lot of grief: gmail is basically broken for mailing lists. So if you
are using gmail and want to be on a mailing list chances are you will
never get the message.

Interesting. Maybe it works for me because I only have five or six
addressees for any one message. I'll try a six-recipient one tonight,
and see what happens.

IF they are all 'To: or Cc: it will probably work.
gmail is a system that is too big to work.

Old September 5th 12, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Davey wrote:
On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 02:31:54 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

We discussed this some time ago, and yes, I can report that gmail is
essentially broken

Yep. Google mail doesn't like you sending mail to more than one
recipient at a time

Dorks

From my logs...

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT :
host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.66.26]: 451-4.3.0 Multiple
destination domains per transaction is unsupported. Please\n451
4.3.0 try again. x54si2311741xxx.2

Funny, I have no problem with it at all, to multiple Bcc addresses,
and no To: or CC: ones.

Maybe your relay split them up into single messages.
I've googled (sic!) that error and it is causing a lot of people a lot
of grief: gmail is basically broken for mailing lists. So if you are
using gmail and want to be on a mailing list chances are you will never
get the message.

I guess it depends on how those mailing lists are managed.

I have no problems here receiving mailman mailing lists with gmail.

Old September 5th 12, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

chris wrote:
Davey wrote:
On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 02:31:54 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

We discussed this some time ago, and yes, I can report that gmail is
essentially broken

Yep. Google mail doesn't like you sending mail to more than one
recipient at a time

Dorks

From my logs...

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT :
host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.66.26]: 451-4.3.0 Multiple
destination domains per transaction is unsupported. Please\n451
4.3.0 try again. x54si2311741xxx.2

Funny, I have no problem with it at all, to multiple Bcc addresses,
and no To: or CC: ones.

Maybe your relay split them up into single messages.
I've googled (sic!) that error and it is causing a lot of people a lot
of grief: gmail is basically broken for mailing lists. So if you are
using gmail and want to be on a mailing list chances are you will never
get the message.

I guess it depends on how those mailing lists are managed.

I have no problems here receiving mailman mailing lists with gmail.

It may actually be a transient problem at gmail. There is a suspicion
that they have MX records pointing at more than one target, and one or
more of those has this issue. Hence the 'try again later' message.

It sad to think that when I ran a commercial mail system; an error like
this would have had me working all night to resolve, ad a matter of
pride. But someone with vastly greater resources can afford to say 'who
the **** cares if some **** that is stupid enough to use gmail in the
first place doesn't get an email - let's face it he will never know will
he? And if the sender complains we can blame them'

Old September 5th 12, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Davey wrote:
On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 02:31:54 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

We discussed this some time ago, and yes, I can report that gmail
is essentially broken

Yep. Google mail doesn't like you sending mail to more than one
recipient at a time

Dorks

From my logs...

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT
: host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
[173.194.66.26]: 451-4.3.0 Multiple destination domains per
transaction is unsupported. Please\n451 4.3.0 try again.
x54si2311741xxx.2

Funny, I have no problem with it at all, to multiple Bcc
addresses, and no To: or CC: ones.
Maybe your relay split them up into single messages.
I've googled (sic!) that error and it is causing a lot of people a
lot of grief: gmail is basically broken for mailing lists. So if
you are using gmail and want to be on a mailing list chances are
you will never get the message.

Interesting. Maybe it works for me because I only have five or six
addressees for any one message. I'll try a six-recipient one
tonight, and see what happens.

IF they are all 'To: or Cc: it will probably work.
gmail is a system that is too big to work.

Ah, but I'm talking about only Bccs, which have never given me a
problem, so far.
I appear to not be the only one who doesn't have the reported problems.
--
Davey.