Moving cordless phone base away from modem

Old September 5th 12, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john ryan

Default Moving cordless phone base away from modem

My modem router is right next to the incoming bt socket, also plugged in
there in close proximity (14 inches or so )is the Panasonic Cordless Phone
transmitter base.

We keep getting a lot of internet disconnections say three a day on average,
not only on the wireless connected laptop upstairs; but also the wired
connected desk top in the same room as the bt socket.

we have an I-plate on the bt socket and splitters on the cordless phone
base. And a small surge protector plug in the same trailing socket mains
supplying the modem router and phone base.

Would it likely make any difference to move the cordless phone base to the
far side of the room away from the modem router using a long telephone
extension lead, or would that not likely make any improvement to these
disconnections? Thanks.

Old September 5th 12, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

john ryan wrote:
My modem router is right next to the incoming bt socket, also plugged in
there in close proximity (14 inches or so )is the Panasonic Cordless Phone
transmitter base.

We keep getting a lot of internet disconnections say three a day on average,
not only on the wireless connected laptop upstairs; but also the wired
connected desk top in the same room as the bt socket.

we have an I-plate on the bt socket and splitters on the cordless phone
base. And a small surge protector plug in the same trailing socket mains
supplying the modem router and phone base.

Would it likely make any difference to move the cordless phone base to the
far side of the room away from the modem router using a long telephone
extension lead, or would that not likely make any improvement to these
disconnections? Thanks.

IME it would possibly be a massive improvement.

Take a telephone line AFTER the filter as far away from the router as
possible and consider threading it through a ferrite ring a couple of
times, as well.

But only AFTER you have switched the whole radio phone off for a day or
two and used a normal phone, to establish whether it is the problem.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Old September 5th 12, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 05/09/2012 13:26, john ryan wrote:
My modem router is right next to the incoming bt socket, also plugged in
there in close proximity (14 inches or so )is the Panasonic Cordless Phone
transmitter base.

We keep getting a lot of internet disconnections say three a day on average,
not only on the wireless connected laptop upstairs; but also the wired
connected desk top in the same room as the bt socket.

we have an I-plate on the bt socket and splitters on the cordless phone
base. And a small surge protector plug in the same trailing socket mains
supplying the modem router and phone base.

Would it likely make any difference to move the cordless phone base to the
far side of the room away from the modem router using a long telephone
extension lead, or would that not likely make any improvement to these
disconnections? Thanks.

I doubt it.

Seeing as both wired and wifi connections are failing, the cause must be
either in the router or upstream of it. The only thing you might try
with the phone transmitter is to move it to a different phone socket.

Old September 5th 12, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 05/09/2012 13:26, john ryan wrote:
My modem router is right next to the incoming bt socket, also plugged in
there in close proximity (14 inches or so )is the Panasonic Cordless Phone
transmitter base.

I have one at about the same separation and it does not seem to affect
ADSL throughput at all. The things that do are sunshine, rain and at
this time of year damp and dead spiders in the junction boxes.

Disconnects are almost unknown apart from trees through the line...

We keep getting a lot of internet disconnections say three a day on average,
not only on the wireless connected laptop upstairs; but also the wired
connected desk top in the same room as the bt socket.

we have an I-plate on the bt socket and splitters on the cordless phone
base. And a small surge protector plug in the same trailing socket mains
supplying the modem router and phone base.

The utility Routerstatslite will allow you to observe and log what is
going on connection wise and may shed some light on ADSL events.
Any noise or audbile clicks on the traditional POTS voice channel?

Would it likely make any difference to move the cordless phone base to the
far side of the room away from the modem router using a long telephone
extension lead, or would that not likely make any improvement to these
disconnections? Thanks.

I doubt it. But try it with an ordinary wired phone instead to see.

I could imagine situations where the WIFi side might lose range if there
was a competing transmission from adjacent kit,

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old September 5th 12, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

chris wrote:
[...]

I dont. The RF coming off the phone is capable and does interfere with
ADSL. I've seen a ringing phone disconnect the ADSL..

It SHOULDN'T of course. totally different frequencies, But high power RF
can do strange things. How many remember the days of the taxi outside
breaking into your hi fi?

Or as so aptly parodied in 'Spinal Tap' into a whole PA system.

Seeing as both wired and wifi connections are failing, the cause must be
either in the router or upstream of it.

And what makes you think that the phone cant inject RF into the phone
line upstream of the router?

The only thing you might try
with the phone transmitter is to move it to a different phone socket.

well yes.

Or a long piece of cable to the actual base station. As the OP was
asking about.

Old September 5th 12, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 13:26:39 +0100, "john ryan"
wrote:

My modem router is right next to the incoming bt socket, also plugged in
there in close proximity (14 inches or so )is the Panasonic Cordless Phone
transmitter base.

We keep getting a lot of internet disconnections say three a day on average,
not only on the wireless connected laptop upstairs; but also the wired
connected desk top in the same room as the bt socket.

we have an I-plate on the bt socket and splitters on the cordless phone
base. And a small surge protector plug in the same trailing socket mains
supplying the modem router and phone base.

Would it likely make any difference to move the cordless phone base to the
far side of the room away from the modem router using a long telephone
extension lead, or would that not likely make any improvement to these
disconnections? Thanks.

Mine is pretty much the same - also Panasonic - but with FTTC
broadband. I have never noticed any association between use of the
phone and broadband performance, even if using the phone and the
computer at the same time.

I did find that when workmen plugged a 110 volt transformer into the
same extension lead that certainly made a difference.

Old September 5th 12, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

john ryan writted thus:

My modem router is right next to the incoming bt socket, also plugged in
there in close proximity (14 inches or so )is the Panasonic Cordless
Phone transmitter base.

We keep getting a lot of internet disconnections say three a day on
average,
not only on the wireless connected laptop upstairs; but also the wired
connected desk top in the same room as the bt socket.

we have an I-plate on the bt socket and splitters on the cordless phone
base. And a small surge protector plug in the same trailing socket mains
supplying the modem router and phone base.

Would it likely make any difference to move the cordless phone base to
the far side of the room away from the modem router using a long
telephone extension lead, or would that not likely make any improvement
to these disconnections? Thanks.

Doubtful unless you are unlucky.
I have a cordless phone, British Gas wifi electricity smart meter, bt
infinity WiFi and a large tv, dvr and HD box all in the same corner of my
small cottage and have no problems at all with anything...

--
http://db.tt/aI6WBZ7w
Old September 5th 12, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

wrote:

My modem router is right next to the incoming bt socket, also plugged in
there in close proximity (14 inches or so )is the Panasonic Cordless Phone
transmitter base.

We keep getting a lot of internet disconnections say three a day on average,
not only on the wireless connected laptop upstairs; but also the wired
connected desk top in the same room as the bt socket.

we have an I-plate on the bt socket and splitters on the cordless phone
base. And a small surge protector plug in the same trailing socket mains
supplying the modem router and phone base.

Would it likely make any difference to move the cordless phone base to the
far side of the room away from the modem router using a long telephone
extension lead, or would that not likely make any improvement to these
disconnections? Thanks.

I doubt your DECT base will be interfering with your ADSL, but by all
means move it, or better still replace it with a wired phone for a few
days and see how you get on.

Assuming there is no improvement, we need to look elsewhere.

I noticed in your post you say "splitters" in the plural. Does that
mean you have more than one micro-filter? Where are the other one(s)?

Are there any other phone sockets in the house, if so are they
hardwired to the master socket or plugged into the front with an
adapter?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old September 5th 12, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able

"john ryan" wrote in message
My modem router is right next to the incoming bt socket, also plugged in
there in close proximity (14 inches or so )is the Panasonic Cordless Phone
transmitter base.

We keep getting a lot of internet disconnections say three a day on
average,
not only on the wireless connected laptop upstairs; but also the wired
connected desk top in the same room as the bt socket.

we have an I-plate on the bt socket and splitters on the cordless phone
base. And a small surge protector plug in the same trailing socket mains
supplying the modem router and phone base.

Would it likely make any difference to move the cordless phone base to the
far side of the room away from the modem router using a long telephone
extension lead, or would that not likely make any improvement to these
disconnections? Thanks.

Why "splitters" plural, and why "on the cordless phone base"? Unless there
is more than you describe (other wired extensions - at the BT master socket
or via these "splitters"?), you'd be well advised to have just a single
filter/splitter right at the I-plate outlet.

And I hope when you say "splitter" you mean "filter/splitter". If not, it
would be quite something to get only three disconnects a day, John.

PA

Old September 5th 12, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , John ryan wrote:
My modem router is right next to the incoming bt socket, also plugged in
there in close proximity (14 inches or so )is the Panasonic Cordless Phone
transmitter base.

We keep getting a lot of internet disconnections say three a day on average,
not only on the wireless connected laptop upstairs; but also the wired
connected desk top in the same room as the bt socket.

we have an I-plate on the bt socket and splitters on the cordless phone
base. And a small surge protector plug in the same trailing socket mains
supplying the modem router and phone base.

Would it likely make any difference to move the cordless phone base to the
far side of the room away from the modem router using a long telephone
extension lead, or would that not likely make any improvement to these
disconnections? Thanks.

I doubt it, but it'll cost you nothing more than a length of cable and a bit
of patience to try. It's one of the things you will be expected to eliminate
before your ISP will arrange an engineer visit, so you might as well do it
anyway. Personally I suspect that cordless phones interfering with ADSL modems
may be a myth, because although I've heard it repeated plenty of times I've
seen plenty of modems next to phone base stations with no problems. (I have
encountered an Xbox that would knock a cable modem offline from 3 feet away,
but that's another story).

Your problem sounds very much like what I had recently - ADSL carrier dropping
a dozen times a day - and was fixed, eventually, by Openreach replacing the
cable from the pole across the road to my house and some ancient crimp
connections in a street cabinet.

If the line check on the BT website says your line is OK, make sure you get
your ISP to organise a broadband engineer, because if you speak to BT and they
send an engineer, he'll be a telephone engineer and all he'll do is check the
line for voice calls. The first thing he'll do is connect a test phone
directly to the socket and try the "quiet line" test on 17070, which you can
do yourself. It's possible for a line to work perfectly at audio fequencies
but not at the radio frequencies used by ADSL. Good luck.

Rod.