wifi repeaters

Old September 10th 12, 05:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

Default wifi repeaters

Hi all,
Just after some advice. I'm looking into getting a wifi repeater to extend
my wireless coverage. I'm curious though - do they use the same channel as
the original access point, or a different channel?

Anyone able to suggest any decent way of doing this, cheaper the better and
I'm happy to buy old kit and reflash it :-)
Old September 10th 12, 09:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

On 10/09/2012 16:32, Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi all,
Just after some advice. I'm looking into getting a wifi repeater to extend
my wireless coverage. I'm curious though - do they use the same channel as
the original access point, or a different channel?

Anyone able to suggest any decent way of doing this, cheaper the better and
I'm happy to buy old kit and reflash it :-)

If you can get wired ethernet to a suitable location just add another
wireless Access Point ( use a redundant wireless router) - once you have
the 2nd one working make the SSID and passphrase the same but use a
different channel.
Old September 10th 12, 11:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

robert wrote:
On 10/09/2012 16:32, Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi all,
Just after some advice. I'm looking into getting a wifi repeater to extend
my wireless coverage. I'm curious though - do they use the same channel as
the original access point, or a different channel?

Anyone able to suggest any decent way of doing this, cheaper the better and
I'm happy to buy old kit and reflash it :-)

If you can get wired ethernet to a suitable location just add another
wireless Access Point ( use a redundant wireless router) - once you have
the 2nd one working make the SSID and passphrase the same but use a different channel.

Does that allow anything attached to it to connect to the strongest signal
automatically while roaming through the house? I could run a network
connection to the room I'd like the repeater in, but it would involve using
power line kit. I'd prefer a solution that just plugs into the mains, gets
a wifi signal and repeats it, ideally on a different channel to minimise
interference. The end result I want is for the kit to connect to my router
while I my house, and then automatically roam onto the repeater (or
equivalent) when going down the garden, which is where the wifi signal
formally gets a bit patchy.
Old September 11th 12, 01:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Saville

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 21:10:58 UTC, Simon Finnigan
wrote:

robert wrote:
[...]

Should allow roaming. FWIW Develo do a WIFI extender that just plugs
into the mains socket. Only their latest stuff though. Won't work with
their old kit. If you have to by a pair of net-over-mains thingys
anyway might be worth a look. I have used a D-Link DP1160 IEEE 802.11g
Wireless G Access Point to extend a friends house with great results.
But that's an wired connection to the AP.

HTH

--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old September 11th 12, 05:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 20:22:23 +0100, robert wrote:

If you can get wired ethernet to a suitable location just add another
wireless Access Point ( use a redundant wireless router) - once you have
the 2nd one working make the SSID and passphrase the same but use a
different channel.

When using an old router for this purpose, plug the wired ethernet cable into
one of its LAN ports and also disable DHCP.
Old September 11th 12, 06:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

On 10/09/12 16:32, Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi all,
Just after some advice. I'm looking into getting a wifi repeater to extend
my wireless coverage. I'm curious though - do they use the same channel as
the original access point, or a different channel?

Anyone able to suggest any decent way of doing this, cheaper the better and
I'm happy to buy old kit and reflash it :-)

Something like the Edimax EW-7416APN would do the job, though there are
cheaper models without 11n or 11n-300. That model has "universal
repeater" mode which has its own SSID but uses the same channel as the
router - as well as allowing a simultaneous cable connection.

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old September 12th 12, 08:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

On 11/09/2012 16:35, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 20:22:23 +0100, robert wrote:

If you can get wired ethernet to a suitable location just add another
wireless Access Point ( use a redundant wireless router) - once you have
the 2nd one working make the SSID and passphrase the same but use a
different channel.

When using an old router for this purpose, plug the wired ethernet cable into
one of its LAN ports and also disable DHCP.

Good point I had forgotten !

Using cable or cheap mains adaptors is the cheap option.
I use this method (extra router) at "work" and it seems to work well,
though I am not sure how well it copes with someone walking around the
house while connected.
I suggest using different SSIDs when setting it up just to check
everything is working and accessible , then make the SSIDs the same.
Old September 21st 12, 09:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Brian Reay.

"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message
Hi all,
Just after some advice. I'm looking into getting a wifi repeater to extend
my wireless coverage. I'm curious though - do they use the same channel as
the original access point, or a different channel?

Anyone able to suggest any decent way of doing this, cheaper the better
and
I'm happy to buy old kit and reflash it :-)

Several access points can be configured to do this "out of the box", I've a
Belkin one I picked up at an amateur radio rally for 10 which will do it
(although I don't us it in that mode). However, I'd recommend a unit
designed for the job, I have a Tp-Link one TL WA830 I found on Ebay (New)
from on of the dealers for 30. (inc. delivery). It was delivered in under
24hrs. I bought it for use when on campsite in my motorhome.

You can set it up in various modes while connected via a CAT5, then leave it
"standalone" to "relay" your chosen network. It will also act as an ordinary
access point.

You can get the manual from the TPlink website before you buy, that should
answer all your questions.

Brian

Old September 28th 12, 11:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Simon Finnigan writes:
Hi all,
Just after some advice. I'm looking into getting a wifi repeater to extend
my wireless coverage. I'm curious though - do they use the same channel as
the original access point, or a different channel?

Same channel, so they halve the bandwidth available.

--
Andrew Gabriel