Can anyone recommend an ADSL modem/router that supports the iPad VPN client

Old September 21st 12, 08:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trust No OneŽ

Default Can anyone recommend an ADSL modem/router that supports the iPad VPN client

Hi everyone,

I avoid using my iPad Wifi hotspots such as Starbucks, KFC and London
Underground, due to the very real possibility of being hacked.

I do use my Netbook with BT Openzone as they provide a VPN client software.
Unfortunately the VPN profile provided by BTOpenzone for the iPad simply
does not work.

I am considerig changing my ADSL modem/router (currently an old but trusty
Draytek Vigor 2800VG) for a make/model that supports the iPad VPN client.
This VPN client is written by Cisco so I would imagine that LinkSys brand
models would be compatible - but who kows?

My idea is to VPN into my home network and use its Internet conection when
I'm using Wifi hotspots. Job done

With this in mind can anyone recommend a suitable make & model? I certainly
like Draytek due to their feature set but I'm certainly willing to consider
other makes.

--
Peter X-Files fan

Old September 21st 12, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On 21/09/2012 07:32, Trust No OneŽ wrote:
[...]

Are there ways to install a different VPN client on your iPad? A quick
Google search suggests that there may be PuTTY-like or other SSH-based
clients available.

If so, maybe try those before forking out on new hardware.

--
Mark
Old September 21st 12, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

"Trust No OneŽ" wrote:
I am considerig changing my ADSL modem/router (currently an old but trusty
Draytek Vigor 2800VG) for a make/model that supports the iPad VPN client.
This VPN client is written by Cisco so I would imagine that LinkSys brand
models would be compatible - but who kows?

If it's written by Cisco it's likely to be either IPSec or possibly
PPTP. Indeed, according to a quick google, the iPad offers IPSec, PPTP,
and L2TP. Your Draytek should support all of those.

Try http://www.draytek.com/user/SupportFAQDetail.php?ID=192

Chris
Old September 21st 12, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Leverton

In article ,
Chris Davies wrote:
"Trust No OneŽ" wrote:
I am considerig changing my ADSL modem/router (currently an old but trusty
Draytek Vigor 2800VG) for a make/model that supports the iPad VPN client.
This VPN client is written by Cisco so I would imagine that LinkSys brand
models would be compatible - but who kows?

If it's written by Cisco it's likely to be either IPSec or possibly
PPTP. Indeed, according to a quick google, the iPad offers IPSec, PPTP,
and L2TP. Your Draytek should support all of those.

Try http://www.draytek.com/user/SupportFAQDetail.php?ID=192

Chris

Note that PPTP is deprecated even by MS themselves now never mind Cisco,
due to security flaws (generic, not purely the former MS-CHAP flaws):
https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2158708
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...visory/2743314

Nick
Old September 22nd 12, 04:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Trust No OneŽ
escribió:

I avoid using my iPad Wifi hotspots such as Starbucks, KFC and London
Underground, due to the very real possibility of being hacked.

You're paranoid. The chances of your iPad getting hacked are
practically nonexistent.

If you were running a Windows machine I'd understand.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old September 22nd 12, 05:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Chris Davies wrote:

"Trust No OneŽ" wrote:

I am considerig changing my ADSL modem/router for a make/model that
supports the iPad VPN client. This VPN client is written by Cisco

If it's written by Cisco it's likely to be either IPSec or possibly
PPTP.

Or SSL, but in that case it ought to look just like https web access to
the router.

Old September 22nd 12, 07:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trust No OneŽ

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
En el artículo , Trust No OneŽ
escribió:

I avoid using my iPad Wifi hotspots such as Starbucks, KFC and London
Underground, due to the very real possibility of being hacked.

You're paranoid. The chances of your iPad getting hacked are
practically nonexistent.

If you were running a Windows machine I'd understand.

Hi Mike,

Perhaps I should have explained myself better in that I meant "hack" in
terms of someone being able to "sidejack" my web browsing sessions rather
than hack into my Ipad.

Yep - I may be paranoid but I make no apologies. Better safe than sorry as
they say.

I've been tinkering with the Draytek 2800VG VPN settings and can get PPTP to
work, but absolutely no joy with L2TP/IPSec . Will play around some more
later this morning when I have my weekend Starbucks

--
Peter X-Files fan

--
Peter X-Files fan

Old September 22nd 12, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trust No OneŽ

"Chris Davies" wrote in message
"Trust No OneŽ" wrote:
I am considerig changing my ADSL modem/router (currently an old but
trusty
Draytek Vigor 2800VG) for a make/model that supports the iPad VPN
client.
This VPN client is written by Cisco so I would imagine that LinkSys brand
models would be compatible - but who kows?

If it's written by Cisco it's likely to be either IPSec or possibly
PPTP. Indeed, according to a quick google, the iPad offers IPSec, PPTP,
and L2TP. Your Draytek should support all of those.

Try http://www.draytek.com/user/SupportFAQDetail.php?ID=192

Get In!!

Thanks Chris, I had spend many hours in the past tryig to get my Draytek
2800 to work with my iPad but no joy, so I assumed its VPN server was legacy
and didn't support later versions of iOS

Your post spurred me to give it another ago, and several fruitless hours
later I've found an Internet post that gives details of necessary tweaks.

For anyone who is interested:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1486587

See the post by Scotty at the bottom of the page.

I can now establish an L2TP VPN with IPSec policy from my iPad to the
Draytek.

Sweet!

Thanks for all replies to this thread. I'm now a happy (if not paranoid)
bunny

--
Peter X-Files fan

Old September 22nd 12, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

escribió:

I avoid using my iPad Wifi hotspots such as Starbucks, KFC and London
Underground, due to the very real possibility of being hacked.

You're paranoid. The chances of your iPad getting hacked are
practically nonexistent.

If you were running a Windows machine I'd understand.

Hi Mike,

Perhaps I should have explained myself better in that I meant "hack" in
terms of someone being able to "sidejack" my web browsing sessions rather
than hack into my Ipad.

Yep - I may be paranoid but I make no apologies. Better safe than sorry as
they say.

I've been tinkering with the Draytek 2800VG VPN settings and can get PPTP to
work, but absolutely no joy with L2TP/IPSec . Will play around some more
later this morning when I have my weekend Starbucks

The Vigor router can be configured to report via syslog. Set up a spare
machine running a syslog service, and capture the output when you try to
set up the VPN session. The errors reported in syslog may help you
identify the configuration problem.

--
Graham J

Old September 22nd 12, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Trust No OneŽ
escribió:

Perhaps I should have explained myself better in that I meant "hack" in
terms of someone being able to "sidejack" my web browsing sessions rather
than hack into my Ipad.

Got it

I've been tinkering with the Draytek 2800VG VPN settings and can get PPTP to
work, but absolutely no joy with L2TP/IPSec

I see in another post you got it going. Nice one.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)