Cheapest hosting for 50GB/month website?

Old September 24th 12, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default Cheapest hosting for 50GB/month website?

I just wonder how much that would cost these days.

I notice that most ISPs do not meter UPloads so one could probably do
it on an ADSL line, especially if you paid the extra tenner for the
800kbit/sec UP speed. Then it would be about 30/month (ZEN, etc).

A friend is on BT fibre ADSL and has 80mbits/sec down and 20mbits/sec
up, which would definitely do the job

The application is a discussion forum, hosting no big graphics and
just running an off the shelf PHP-BB type of thing. I think the BW
would be far less than 50GB but one never knows... The biggest issue
with these things is DOS attacks which seem relentless.
Old September 24th 12, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

Peter writted thus:

I just wonder how much that would cost these days.

I notice that most ISPs do not meter UPloads so one could probably do it
on an ADSL line, especially if you paid the extra tenner for the
800kbit/sec UP speed. Then it would be about 30/month (ZEN, etc).

A friend is on BT fibre ADSL and has 80mbits/sec down and 20mbits/sec
up, which would definitely do the job

The application is a discussion forum, hosting no big graphics and just
running an off the shelf PHP-BB type of thing. I think the BW would be
far less than 50GB but one never knows... The biggest issue with these
things is DOS attacks which seem relentless.

The cheapest pack at heartinternet will get you 5,000MB space and a
monthly bandwidth of 30,000MB for 2.50/month... they might negotiate as
they are quite approachable.

http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/web-hosting/

I've hosted there for years and no genuine downtime bar scheduled
maintenance...

IMHO with the various PHPbb's I've had the one big issue was spam
postings. I gave in and changed to image validation but it's still a PITA
if you don't keep on top of the *******s.

--
http://db.tt/aI6WBZ7w
Old September 24th 12, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Peter wrote:
I just wonder how much that would cost these days.

Not a lot. If you're happy to manage the box yourself, have a look at the
offers on:
http://www.lowendbox.com/

(which change from day to day)

I have 500GB/month for $15/year, gigabit ethernet (in reality I only get
about 10Mbytes/s each way).

You pick an OS, and are given an IP address and root login - installing
services, domains, DNS, etc are up to you.

A friend is on BT fibre ADSL and has 80mbits/sec down and 20mbits/sec
up, which would definitely do the job

Don't do it - something in a datacentre is generally more robust. (But make
sure you have backups). If it's a UK datacentre, latency is probably miles
better than ADSL. The hardware is probably quicker than something that
would be economic to power 24/7 at home, unless it's being hammered all day
and night. Self-hosting might be the only economic option though if you
need vast amounts of disc space.

Theo
Old September 24th 12, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Theo Markettos wrote:
Peter wrote:
[...]

IF the website is low usage and IF its not missions critical home
hosting is massively OK.

I had half a dozen sites running here adequately on 448kupload speeds.

What screwed it in the end was that one site got popular..

AND people downloading 30Mbytes of files wasn't amusing either.

So I run a virtual server now.

Mind you I thrashed that into swap over the weekend..still, a code
re-design fixed that.

Memory and disk are the expensive things on that - bandwidth is 'more
than you will ever need'

Theo

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Old September 24th 12, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I had half a dozen sites running here adequately on 448kupload speeds.

What screwed it in the end was that one site got popular..

AND people downloading 30Mbytes of files wasn't amusing either.

I've been using a server on the end of someone's ADSL recently. Issues:

Bandwidth is generally OK if I'm the only person using it. If there's
multiple downloaders, it gets annoying (Kbytes/s).
Latency was a bit iffy, but better than a VPS in the US
Reliability wasn't great - had massive packet loss for a month or more. BT?
ISP? Traffic management? Bad server config? ADSL router on the blink? I
have no idea (didn't have any contact with the owner of the server).
Traffic management on some ISPs makes it awkward.

Memory and disk are the expensive things on that - bandwidth is 'more
than you will ever need'

Yup, they're good at different things. If it's just basic hosting, a VPS
nowadays may well end up cheaper than the electricity bill for running a
machine 24/7. If you need substantial memory, disc, CPU, you need to run
the box 24/7 anyway or you always need a certain amount of electric heating,
then home hosting wins. If you need connectivity, use a VPS.

Theo
Old September 24th 12, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

tigger wrote

The cheapest pack at heartinternet will get you 5,000MB space and a
monthly bandwidth of 30,000MB for 2.50/month... they might negotiate as
they are quite approachable.

http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/web-hosting/

I've hosted there for years and no genuine downtime bar scheduled
maintenance...

Many thanks; that's amazingly cheap.

IMHO with the various PHPbb's I've had the one big issue was spam
postings. I gave in and changed to image validation but it's still a PITA
if you don't keep on top of the *******s.

IMHO, as a user of several forums, there are 6 big issues

w*nker posters
w*nker posters
w*nker posters
DOS attacks
DOS attacks
DOS attacks

The W8anker issue has no simple solution, other than fairly aggressive
moderation, IP blocking etc.

The DOS attacks get drawn to off the shelf BBS software because it is
easy to find the sites with google etc, and they hit them with
scripts. However a lot of the attacks I have seen were connected with
poisoned advertising feeds.

I think an easy solution might be to have the forum behind a "trivial"
login, which needs some graphics transcribed, and is then cached by
the browser. That would stop the search engines. One would have enough
keywords on the outside to get the search engines to index some
stuff...
Old September 24th 12, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Peter wrote:
tigger wrote

[...]

I write all my own scripts and they are still attacked..not DOS
necessarily. Just looking to see if phpmydmin or something noddy is running.

On a decent bandwidth host, who cares?

You can get your own server (virtual) for less than a tenner a month - I
pay about 14 quid a month.

Normal forum **** is unrestricted read, register to post. Even Usenet.,..

Old September 24th 12, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able

"Peter" wrote in message

tigger wrote

The cheapest pack at heartinternet will get you 5,000MB space and a
monthly bandwidth of 30,000MB for 2.50/month... they might negotiate as
they are quite approachable.

http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/web-hosting/

I've hosted there for years and no genuine downtime bar scheduled
maintenance...

Many thanks; that's amazingly cheap.

More in the mainstream, you might like to consider 1&1 starter, the basic
package being 2.49/mo with 5GB storage and unlimited traffic.

I've used them, albeit not the basic package, for some years.

https://www.1and1.co.uk/Hosting

PA

Old September 24th 12, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able

It includes a MYSQL Database, too - which I guess you'll need (the mentioned
heartinternet package doesn't)

PA

Old September 24th 12, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deux

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 08:03:05 +0100, Peter wrote:

I notice that most ISPs do not meter UPloads so one could probably do it
on an ADSL line, especially if you paid the extra tenner for the
800kbit/sec UP speed. Then it would be about 30/month (ZEN, etc).

I've just signed up with Flexiant, because you get your own box which you
have root access to. They charge 5 units per GB of data transfer and 2
units per I/O operations, that's about 10p per GB so you'd only pay 5
per month for data transfer.

There's a few other bits you have to pay for as well such as disks, RAM/
CPU (even if idle) but I reckon it will be below 30/month. Maybe it will
add up depending on your storage and other requirements but perhaps worth
a look.