How can plusnet be so different

Old October 2nd 12, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beagle

Default How can plusnet be so different

So, after asking in here about Tesco and Plusnet I opted to go to
plusnet, I'll skip the balls up they made of the sign up

Plusnet seems to be complete kak, frequent timeouts at all hours
of the day, unable to connect to mail servers, images not
now doubting the wisdom of my phone being moved to them tomorrow.

What I don't get is that as I moved here from Madasafish I
expected everything to work as well as it did, surely all the
infrastructure is shared? if so, why is it now kak?

TIA

Old October 2nd 12, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sn!pe

Beagle wrote:

So, after asking in here about Tesco and Plusnet I opted to go to
plusnet, I'll skip the balls up they made of the sign up

Plusnet seems to be complete kak, frequent timeouts at all hours
of the day, unable to connect to mail servers, images not
now doubting the wisdom of my phone being moved to them tomorrow.

What I don't get is that as I moved here from Madasafish I
expected everything to work as well as it did, surely all the
infrastructure is shared? if so, why is it now kak?

TIA

On the contrary, my experience has been exemplary.

Disclaimer: no connection etc., other than a good one to the .net.

--
^^. Sn!pe
Check my Injection-Info: header to validate this post.

My pet rock Gordon just is.
Old October 2nd 12, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Beagle wrote:
So, after asking in here about Tesco and Plusnet I opted to go to
plusnet, I'll skip the balls up they made of the sign up

Plusnet seems to be complete kak, frequent timeouts at all hours
of the day, unable to connect to mail servers, images not
now doubting the wisdom of my phone being moved to them tomorrow.

What I don't get is that as I moved here from Madasafish I
expected everything to work as well as it did, surely all the
infrastructure is shared? if so, why is it now kak?

You need to be much more specific about your error reporting.

What does the router report? If you don't know how to find out, ask here.

We need to know the SNR margin, loop attennuation, and speed; for both
downstream (and upstream if your router shows upsteam).

It may help to have one computer monitoring the router, and another
tobrowse the web and experience the failures.

Does the router show the ADSL connection is broken when you experience
these timeouts? The router will normally show for how long the
connection has been up - does this relate to the timeouts

What does the router show about the PPP connection?

Armed with reasonably specific error reports you should be able to ring
the Plusnet helpdesk and get constructive help.

--
Graham J

Old October 2nd 12, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Beagle (for it is he) wrote:

surely all the infrastructure is shared?

The last mile certainly is. I don't know who/what Madasafish are, perhaps
you were on LLU before you move to Plusnet, in which case that's another
variable for you :-)

if so, why is it now kak?

Who knows, you've just given a fairly broad description of what your
problems are. Be a more specific, and more targeted advice can be given.
What you've described could be put down to packet loss. WinMTR is a handy
tool for assessing packet loss and gives you a readout of what it can see
per-hop. So for example, put in 8.8.8.8 as a target and see what it says.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:19:35 up 18 days, 17:43, 7 users, load average: 0.27, 0.64, 0.67

Old October 2nd 12, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

On 02/10/2012 19:15, Sn!pe wrote:
On the contrary, my experience has been exemplary.

Disclaimer: no connection etc., other than a good one to the .net.

Last time I put aol folks thought I was recommending them, so I'll just
instead say
"me too"

--
J B
Old October 2nd 12, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 19:02:33 +0100, "Beagle" wrote:

So, after asking in here about Tesco and Plusnet I opted to go to
plusnet, I'll skip the balls up they made of the sign up

Plusnet seems to be complete kak, frequent timeouts at all hours
of the day, unable to connect to mail servers, images not
now doubting the wisdom of my phone being moved to them tomorrow.

What I don't get is that as I moved here from Madasafish I
expected everything to work as well as it did, surely all the
infrastructure is shared? if so, why is it now kak?

Try Namesco, I've been with them for years without much fuss
or bother.

http://www.names.co.uk/index.html?PR=EG02

Old October 2nd 12, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 20:55:53 +0100, J B wrote:

Last time I put aol folks thought I was recommending them, so I'll just
instead say "me too"

Eh ??

Old October 3rd 12, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+

Beagle wrote:
So, after asking in here about Tesco and Plusnet I opted to go to
plusnet, I'll skip the balls up they made of the sign up

Plusnet seems to be complete kak, frequent timeouts at all hours
of the day, unable to connect to mail servers, images not
now doubting the wisdom of my phone being moved to them tomorrow.

What I don't get is that as I moved here from Madasafish I
expected everything to work as well as it did, surely all the
infrastructure is shared? if so, why is it now kak?

Worth checking your MTU size in your router. That can do odd things if
wrong.

Tim

Old October 3rd 12, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

wrote:

So, after asking in here about Tesco and Plusnet I opted to go to
plusnet, I'll skip the balls up they made of the sign up

Plusnet seems to be complete kak, frequent timeouts at all hours
of the day, unable to connect to mail servers, images not
now doubting the wisdom of my phone being moved to them tomorrow.

What I don't get is that as I moved here from Madasafish I
expected everything to work as well as it did, surely all the
infrastructure is shared? if so, why is it now kak?

Adding to what others have said I have found PN mostly pretty good.
Sorry for asking the obvious, but have you contacted PN support for
help?
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old October 3rd 12, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Tim+ wrote:
Beagle wrote:
So, after asking in here about Tesco and Plusnet I opted to go to
plusnet, I'll skip the balls up they made of the sign up

Plusnet seems to be complete kak, frequent timeouts at all hours
of the day, unable to connect to mail servers, images not
now doubting the wisdom of my phone being moved to them tomorrow.

What I don't get is that as I moved here from Madasafish I
expected everything to work as well as it did, surely all the
infrastructure is shared? if so, why is it now kak?

Worth checking your MTU size in your router. That can do odd things if
wrong.

at the PC in general. You want to avoid fragmentation from the word GO.

But lumpiness is seldom caused by that. Dog slow, yes, lumpy no.

That's generally a sign that somewhere along the path something is being
contended. Well more like fought over tooth and nail.

Without tracerouting and doing ping tests on everything between you and
the target, its often hard to say where.

Tim

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.