ADSL2+ wireless N router

Old October 3rd 12, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

Default ADSL2+ wireless N router

My second 2Wire 2700 has died and I am currently running on my backup
somewhat elderly Draytek Vigor 2500.

While looking for a replacement it occurs to me that perhaps I should
consider an ADSL 2+ wireless router that will also handle BT fibre
next year when the local exchange is due to be upgraded. The other
basic requirement is for wireless N. I would like keep to the one box
solution rather than a separate modem and router.

I had a word with Broadbandbuyer today and the only piece of kit that
they stock that seems to meet the spec is a Draytek Vigor 2850n, which
while undoubtedly a good unit is more than a bit expensive at ukp 215
plus delivery.

Grateful for any thoughts or suggestions.
--
rbel
Old October 3rd 12, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

rbel wrote:

My second 2Wire 2700 has died and I am currently running on my backup
somewhat elderly Draytek Vigor 2500.

While looking for a replacement it occurs to me that perhaps I should
consider an ADSL 2+ wireless router that will also handle BT fibre
next year when the local exchange is due to be upgraded. The other
basic requirement is for wireless N. I would like keep to the one box
solution rather than a separate modem and router.

I had a word with Broadbandbuyer today and the only piece of kit that
they stock that seems to meet the spec is a Draytek Vigor 2850n, which
while undoubtedly a good unit is more than a bit expensive at ukp 215
plus delivery.

Grateful for any thoughts or suggestions.
--
rbel

Spend the money ....

--
Graham J

Old October 3rd 12, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

rbel wrote:
My second 2Wire 2700 has died and I am currently running on my backup
somewhat elderly Draytek Vigor 2500.

While looking for a replacement it occurs to me that perhaps I should
consider an ADSL 2+ wireless router that will also handle BT fibre
next year when the local exchange is due to be upgraded. The other
basic requirement is for wireless N. I would like keep to the one box
solution rather than a separate modem and router.

I had a word with Broadbandbuyer today and the only piece of kit that
they stock that seems to meet the spec is a Draytek Vigor 2850n, which
while undoubtedly a good unit is more than a bit expensive at ukp 215
plus delivery.

Grateful for any thoughts or suggestions.
--
rbel

Ah. I remember the days of 'this modem will be upgradeable to next yeras
standards ' except it never was.

Buy cheap for now and forget about tomorrow. FTTC isnt ADSL anyway, its
VDSL or summat.

I don't like Netgear, but I've had good reliability with Dlink TP link
and Billion.

Draytek seem to be well liked by people here also.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Old October 3rd 12, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 17:18:39 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

rbel wrote:
[...]

I need ADSL2+ for my current connection, the VDSL is for when the FTTC
is available next year.

My old Draytek has been very reliable over the years and been a good
stand-in when other bits of kit have failed, but it has no wireless
capability and is noticeably slower than the 2Wire routers.

I have tended to ignore fibre connectivity as it was not available in
my part of the world but now they have indicated that the local
exchange will be upgraded next year does that mean that _all_ lines
from the exchange will become fibre or are there any caveats?
--
rbel
Old October 3rd 12, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 16:06:54 UTC, rbel wrote:

My second 2Wire 2700 has died and I am currently running on my backup
somewhat elderly Draytek Vigor 2500.

While looking for a replacement it occurs to me that perhaps I should
consider an ADSL 2+ wireless router that will also handle BT fibre
next year when the local exchange is due to be upgraded. The other
basic requirement is for wireless N. I would like keep to the one box
solution rather than a separate modem and router.

But is not standard BT fibre two boxes anyway? A modem and a BT Home
Hub. You could buy a cable Wireless N, turn off the WAN side and hook
the LAN to the existing router. Then when the switch to fibre comes
you just move a few CAT5 cables around.

--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old October 3rd 12, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

wrote:

rbel wrote:
[...]

actually non of the (voice) lines become fibre, they remain copper all
the way back to the exchange. The VDSL signal is added to the copper
pair at the cabinet and the backhaul for that is fibre.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old October 3rd 12, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 18:46:25 +0000 (UTC), "Dave Saville"
wrote:

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 16:06:54 UTC, rbel wrote:

My second 2Wire 2700 has died and I am currently running on my backup
somewhat elderly Draytek Vigor 2500.

While looking for a replacement it occurs to me that perhaps I should
consider an ADSL 2+ wireless router that will also handle BT fibre
next year when the local exchange is due to be upgraded. The other
basic requirement is for wireless N. I would like keep to the one box
solution rather than a separate modem and router.

But is not standard BT fibre two boxes anyway? A modem and a BT Home
Hub. You could buy a cable Wireless N, turn off the WAN side and hook
the LAN to the existing router. Then when the switch to fibre comes
you just move a few CAT5 cables around.

And as the switch in most routers is 100Mb/s and I need a 1Gb/s LAN, I
will require a third box.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old October 3rd 12, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

wrote:

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 16:06:54 UTC, rbel wrote:

My second 2Wire 2700 has died and I am currently running on my backup
somewhat elderly Draytek Vigor 2500.

While looking for a replacement it occurs to me that perhaps I should
consider an ADSL 2+ wireless router that will also handle BT fibre
next year when the local exchange is due to be upgraded. The other
basic requirement is for wireless N. I would like keep to the one box
solution rather than a separate modem and router.

But is not standard BT fibre two boxes anyway? A modem and a BT Home
Hub. You could buy a cable Wireless N, turn off the WAN side and hook
the LAN to the existing router. Then when the switch to fibre comes
you just move a few CAT5 cables around.

AIUI the Draytek Vigor 2850n has both ADSL and VDSL support in the one
box which will enable it to handle fibre in the future as well as ADSL
now.
--
rbel
Old October 3rd 12, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 19:52:57 +0100, Graham.
wrote:

I have tended to ignore fibre connectivity as it was not available in
my part of the world but now they have indicated that the local
exchange will be upgraded next year does that mean that _all_ lines
from the exchange will become fibre or are there any caveats?

actually non of the (voice) lines become fibre, they remain copper all
the way back to the exchange. The VDSL signal is added to the copper
pair at the cabinet and the backhaul for that is fibre.

Interesting, so there should be no exclusions. Many thanks.
--
rbel
Old October 3rd 12, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

rbel wrote:

Graham. wrote:

The VDSL signal is added to the copper
pair at the cabinet and the backhaul for that is fibre.

Interesting, so there should be no exclusions.

If your cabinet isn't on the list, your line *will* be excluded.