Relocating BT wiring and an NTE5

Old October 6th 12, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

Default Relocating BT wiring and an NTE5

We have two BT sockets, an ancient master one in the hallway and an
NTE5 in a living area, a few metres from my desk, which is fed by
surface wiring from the hallway master socket. While we used to have
two lines/numbers, one to each master socket, the same number now
applies to both sockets. The surface wiring is the typical BT surface
cable stapled to skirting boards and doorway architraves around two
sides of the hallway ie it looks naff. The architraves will be
replaced in the near future and I want to re-route the cable from the
hallway to the living areas, so that it is not visible, by taking it
through a wall from the hallway socket into a built in cupboard and up
into the loft space, across the loft and down through another built
in cupboard to a new position adjacent to my desk.

From a recent thread below concerning master sockets I understand that
BT are responsible for cabling up to the test socket which is within
the master socket. I wonder if this rule would apply to the NTE5
socket even though it is, to all intents and purposes, an extension
from the original socket in the hallway?

Grateful for any thoughts.
--
rbel
Old October 6th 12, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , rbel
[email protected]?.? escribió:

From a recent thread below concerning master sockets I understand that
BT are responsible for cabling up to the test socket which is within
the master socket. I wonder if this rule would apply to the NTE5
socket even though it is, to all intents and purposes, an extension
from the original socket in the hallway?

I think BT would regard the socket in the hallway as their demarc
(demarcation point) and the one by your desk an extension.

They will charge you for the relocation.

In your situation, I'd relocate the NTE5 to the hallway and run new
cable from the removable faceplate on the NTE5 via your desired route to
where you want the extension, and fit a new socket there.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old October 6th 12, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 14:54:44 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , rbel
[email protected]?.? escribió:

From a recent thread below concerning master sockets I understand that
BT are responsible for cabling up to the test socket which is within
the master socket. I wonder if this rule would apply to the NTE5
socket even though it is, to all intents and purposes, an extension
from the original socket in the hallway?

I think BT would regard the socket in the hallway as their demarc
(demarcation point) and the one by your desk an extension.

They will charge you for the relocation.

In your situation, I'd relocate the NTE5 to the hallway and run new
cable from the removable faceplate on the NTE5 via your desired route to
where you want the extension, and fit a new socket there.

Just out of curiosity, am I right in thinking that only two wires are
needed between the entry point (a 'lozenge' perhaps) and the master
socket and that polarity is unimportant? If the cable contains four
cores, would it be (hypothetically speaking) a case of choosing any
two to use and leaving the other two disconnected?
Old October 6th 12, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Scott wrote:
On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 14:54:44 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , rbel
[email protected]?.? escribió:

From a recent thread below concerning master sockets I understand that
BT are responsible for cabling up to the test socket which is within
the master socket. I wonder if this rule would apply to the NTE5
socket even though it is, to all intents and purposes, an extension
from the original socket in the hallway?

I think BT would regard the socket in the hallway as their demarc
(demarcation point) and the one by your desk an extension.

They will charge you for the relocation.

In your situation, I'd relocate the NTE5 to the hallway and run new
cable from the removable faceplate on the NTE5 via your desired route to
where you want the extension, and fit a new socket there.

Just out of curiosity, am I right in thinking that only two wires are
needed between the entry point (a 'lozenge' perhaps) and the master
socket

Yes.

and that polarity is unimportant?

I cant remember if one is more or less earth and the other is more or
less live with respect to ring voltage..or if its true balaneced.

If the cable contains four
cores, would it be (hypothetically speaking) a case of choosing any
two to use and leaving the other two disconnected?

No, you need to choose the two that are actually connected st the far
end... ;-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Old October 6th 12, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Scott
escribió:

Just out of curiosity, am I right in thinking that only two wires are
needed between the entry point (a 'lozenge' perhaps) and the master
socket

Yes.

and that polarity is unimportant?

Short answer: Yes. (It is supposed to be wired a certain way around but
in practice doesn't matter.)

If the cable contains four
cores, would it be (hypothetically speaking) a case of choosing any
two to use and leaving the other two disconnected?

Yes. Use a twisted pair, preferably blue/blue-with-white-stripe.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old October 6th 12, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I cant remember if one is more or less earth and the other is more or
less live with respect to ring voltage..or if its true balaneced.

Pin 2 = A Leg = 0V
Pin 5 = B Leg = -48V

Most phones won't mind either way, some CLI units need it correct to see
the line reversal, and BT engineers will probably demand extra hobnobs
if they notice it's wrong!

Old October 6th 12, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 17:32:28 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I cant remember if one is more or less earth and the other is more or
less live with respect to ring voltage..or if its true balaneced.

Pin 2 = A Leg = 0V
Pin 5 = B Leg = -48V

Most phones won't mind either way, some CLI units need it correct to see
the line reversal, and BT engineers will probably demand extra hobnobs
if they notice it's wrong!

Again, purely out of curiosity, how you a BT engineer know which of
the incoming wires is A and which is B?
Old October 6th 12, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I cant remember if one is more or less earth and the other is more or
less live with respect to ring voltage..or if its true balaneced.

Pin 2 = A Leg = 0V
Pin 5 = B Leg = -48V

Most phones won't mind either way, some CLI units need it correct to see
the line reversal, and BT engineers will probably demand extra hobnobs
if they notice it's wrong!

Again, purely out of curiosity, how you a BT engineer know which of
the incoming wires is A and which is B?

Its a matter of ethnic discrimination and colour :-)

Old October 6th 12, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I cant remember if one is more or less earth and the other is more or
less live with respect to ring voltage..or if its true balaneced.
Pin 2 = A Leg = 0V
Pin 5 = B Leg = -48V

Most phones won't mind either way, some CLI units need it correct to see
the line reversal, and BT engineers will probably demand extra hobnobs
if they notice it's wrong!

Again, purely out of curiosity, how you a BT engineer know which of
the incoming wires is A and which is B?

Its a matter of ethnic discrimination and colour :-)

I should have typed 'how would a BT engineer know'.

I take it the discrimination involves one of the colours used in
traffic lights :-)
Old October 6th 12, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Scott wrote:

how [does] a BT engineer know which of
the incoming wires is A and which is B?

The colours of the cores in the dropwire (different from the internal
colours, depends on age, often white/orange and green/black).