DSL Stats -What do they mean?

Old October 12th 12, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Default DSL Stats -What do they mean?

I read here about DSL Stats, but I don't know what they actually
mean. I've looked at various sites, and am still not much wiser.
My ADSL is supposed to be 'up to 8Mb', and if I do a test, I usually get
about 6.3 Download, 0.3 Upload.
I downloaded my Stats. yesterday:
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 35 days, 5:43:07
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,616
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/GB]: 0.00 / 18.43
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 9.0 / 18.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 13.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 65,536 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 43 / 51,839
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 39 / 240
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 16 / 1,287
Provided by my Zen-supplied Thompson modem.
Is this good or bad? I see a Down speed of 7,616, which looks ok, but
what about the rest of it? Or is it really only of use when compared to
another set of readings taken some time when there is a problem?
Thanks for explanations that make sense.
--
Davey.
Old October 12th 12, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Davey wrote:
[...]

The up speed is fixed by the type of ADSL you are provided with.

The down speed is a compromise between speed and reliability, but in yor
case 7,616 might be the maximum provided by the DSL type.

The line attenuation is fixed by the length and material of the wire.
Your 18dB down suggests your are less than 2km from the exchange (or if
your wire is aluminium, you might be as close as a few hundred metres)

For ADSL1 the target down SNR margin is 6dB. Normally a figure greater
than that indicates that there is noise on the line; however in your
case it may simply indicate that there is more capacity in the line than
is being used by the G.992.1 modulation.

Ask Zen about ADSL2+ and why you don't appear to have it.

--
Graham J

Old October 12th 12, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Davey wrote:
I read here about DSL Stats, but I don't know what they actually
mean. I've looked at various sites, and am still not much wiser.
My ADSL is supposed to be 'up to 8Mb', and if I do a test, I usually get
about 6.3 Download, 0.3 Upload.
I downloaded my Stats. yesterday:
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 35 days, 5:43:07

the time since you last powered up your router.

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

The protocol it managed to connect to the DSLAM with,

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,616

The raw synchronization speed it is currently managing to achieve.

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/GB]: 0.00 / 18.43

Bit odd. data packets in /out since power up/

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5

What power its sending at and the far end is sending at.

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 9.0 / 18.0

how much line loss accounts for the received power against the generated
power in both direcetions: how much coooper there is sessentially.

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 13.5

The dinal margin achieved between signal and crap in both directions for
the frequency bins selected to be used.

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB

dunnop.

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0

stat's on total loss of packets - probably due to a noise burst like a
lightning strike in this instance

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 65,536 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 43 / 51,839

Raw error rates - packets that failed checksums

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 39 / 240

Errors that couldn't be corrected .

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 16 / 1,287

Pass. forgotten what HEC is

Provided by my Zen-supplied Thompson modem.
Is this good or bad? I see a Down speed of 7,616, which looks ok, but
what about the rest of it? Or is it really only of use when compared to
another set of readings taken some time when there is a problem?
Thanks for explanations that make sense.

13.5 is a high SNR down, which suggests you might be able to get a bit
faster, but you are pushing at the 8Mbps limits anyway.

As shown by the very low attenutaion.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Old October 12th 12, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Davey
escribió:

I read here about DSL Stats, but I don't know what they actually
mean. I've looked at various sites, and am still not much wiser.
My ADSL is supposed to be 'up to 8Mb'

You're on ADSL Max. Ask your supplier why you're not on ADSL2+.

, and if I do a test, I usually get
about 6.3 Download, 0.3 Upload.

your sync rate is 7616, which means your IP profile is 6500. Subtract
about 10% for overhead, and your download figure is pretty much bang on.

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 9.0 / 18.0

that's quite low attenuation - you have a good line, you are close to
the exchange, or both.

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 13.5

This is quite a high margin. That means the line is capable of more
than you are getting, but you are limited to 8Mbps because you're on
ADSL Max ("up to" 8Mbps).

With ADSL2+ or LLU you could expect about 20Mbps downstream. Whinge at
your ISP.

Provided by my Zen-supplied Thompson modem.
Is this good or bad?

It's good. You have a few errors, but your data transferred figures
look bogus, which means it's not possible to evaluate the number of
errors in proportion to the amount of data transferred.

There will always be some errors, but the vast majority are corrected by
the router.

Or is it really only of use when compared to
another set of readings taken some time when there is a problem?

An increase in the downstream attenuation would tend to point to a line
problem. As above, the number of errors can only really be evaluated in
the context of total amount of data transmitted.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Old October 12th 12, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 18:05:14 +0100
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Davey
escribió:

[...]

Many thanks for the replies, everyone, they are very helpful.
Regarding the ADSL2+ question, BT tells me that my line is only capable
of 8Mb, does this not mean that ADSL2+ is not available? That is the
impression I had, that what I have is as much as I can get with my
line. See:

http://www.usingenglish.com/referenc...he+sticks.html

although physically I am not, it's just BT's interpretation.
I'll dig into the ADSL2+ question some more.

LLU is not even in any plans for the area, we don't exist. You could
say that Infinity is an infinite time in the future.
--
Davey.

Old October 12th 12, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 12/10/2012 18:05, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el , Davey
escribió:

I read here about DSL Stats, but I don't know what they actually
mean. I've looked at various sites, and am still not much wiser.
My ADSL is supposed to be 'up to 8Mb'

You're on ADSL Max. Ask your supplier why you're not on ADSL2+.

Probably, like me, because the OP's exchange hasn't been equipped for
ADSL2+ (and in my case, probably won't be :-(

George
Old October 12th 12, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Davey wrote:

Many thanks for the replies, everyone, they are very helpful.
Regarding the ADSL2+ question, BT tells me that my line is only capable
of 8Mb, does this not mean that ADSL2+ is not available?

Yes. Its nothing to do with the line its what is installed at your
exchange that counts

Use this to find out:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php

That is the
impression I had, that what I have is as much as I can get with my
line. See:

http://www.usingenglish.com/referenc...he+sticks.html

although physically I am not, it's just BT's interpretation.
I'll dig into the ADSL2+ question some more.

LLU is not even in any plans for the area, we don't exist. You could
say that Infinity is an infinite time in the future.

Same here. I haven't even got ADSL2+

Old October 13th 12, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

escribió:

I read here about DSL Stats, but I don't know what they actually
mean. I've looked at various sites, and am still not much wiser.
My ADSL is supposed to be 'up to 8Mb'

You're on ADSL Max. Ask your supplier why you're not on ADSL2+.

Probably, like me, because the OP's exchange hasn't been equipped for
ADSL2+ (and in my case, probably won't be :-(

George

Yep, that's what it says on Kitz's ADSL Checker site. So there is no
point in complaining to Zen, they are doing all they can do with what's
here.
Another interesting note is that I am apparently 174 metres from my
exchange (or cabinet, there is nothing else there).
--
Davey.

Old October 13th 12, 12:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

escribió:

I read here about DSL Stats, but I don't know what they actually
mean. I've looked at various sites, and am still not much wiser.
My ADSL is supposed to be 'up to 8Mb'
You're on ADSL Max. Ask your supplier why you're not on ADSL2+.

Probably, like me, because the OP's exchange hasn't been equipped for
ADSL2+ (and in my case, probably won't be :-(

George

Yep, that's what it says on Kitz's ADSL Checker site. So there is no
point in complaining to Zen, they are doing all they can do with what's
here.
Another interesting note is that I am apparently 174 metres from my
exchange (or cabinet, there is nothing else there).

yes, Your stats say you are bloody close. Shame - you could be getting
14Mbps+ with ADSL2+

Old October 13th 12, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

escribió:

I read here about DSL Stats, but I don't know what they actually
mean. I've looked at various sites, and am still not much wiser.
My ADSL is supposed to be 'up to 8Mb'
You're on ADSL Max. Ask your supplier why you're not on ADSL2+.

Probably, like me, because the OP's exchange hasn't been equipped
for ADSL2+ (and in my case, probably won't be :-(

George

Yep, that's what it says on Kitz's ADSL Checker site. So there is no
point in complaining to Zen, they are doing all they can do with
what's here.
Another interesting note is that I am apparently 174 metres from my
exchange (or cabinet, there is nothing else there).

yes, Your stats say you are bloody close. Shame - you could be
getting 14Mbps+ with ADSL2+

Dream on..............not in this decade!

Thanks again for the explanations.
--
Davey.