At last! BT offering High-Speed Broadband!

Old October 25th 12, 12:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Default At last! BT offering High-Speed Broadband!

Except they were doing no such thing. The flyer offered great Broadband
and 'phone service, and sounded as though Infinity or whatever it's
called was coming to this part of semi-rural East Anglia that's only
half an hour's drive from Bury St. Edmunds.
But no, it was just an offer of their normal Broadband service, with a
Hub at a discount, and low price for three months, and a deal on 'phone
calls, which is useless for our usage anyway.
But just for a minute there, I thought........

Back to reality, which is slow.
--
Davey.
Old October 25th 12, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Davey wrote:
Except they were doing no such thing. The flyer offered great Broadband
and 'phone service, and sounded as though Infinity or whatever it's
called was coming to this part of semi-rural East Anglia that's only
half an hour's drive from Bury St. Edmunds.
But no, it was just an offer of their normal Broadband service, with a
Hub at a discount, and low price for three months, and a deal on 'phone
calls, which is useless for our usage anyway.
But just for a minute there, I thought........

Back to reality, which is slow.

In my (Norfolk) village there's a man who does a good line in carrier
pigeons - would you like me to ask him to contact you?

--
Graham J
Old October 25th 12, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.html

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old October 25th 12, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Graham J [email protected] wrote:

Davey wrote:
Except they were doing no such thing. The flyer offered great
Broadband and 'phone service, and sounded as though Infinity or
whatever it's called was coming to this part of semi-rural East
Anglia that's only half an hour's drive from Bury St. Edmunds.
But no, it was just an offer of their normal Broadband service,
with a Hub at a discount, and low price for three months, and a
deal on 'phone calls, which is useless for our usage anyway.
But just for a minute there, I thought........

Back to reality, which is slow.

In my (Norfolk) village there's a man who does a good line in carrier
pigeons - would you like me to ask him to contact you?

Couldn't hurt........how far from the Suffolk border? I can offer him
some wood pigeons (fat) in exchange. g
--
Davey.
Old October 25th 12, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Davey wrote:
Except they were doing no such thing. The flyer offered great
Broadband and 'phone service, and sounded as though Infinity or
whatever it's called was coming to this part of semi-rural East
Anglia that's only half an hour's drive from Bury St. Edmunds.
But no, it was just an offer of their normal Broadband service,
with a Hub at a discount, and low price for three months, and a
deal on 'phone calls, which is useless for our usage anyway.
But just for a minute there, I thought........

Back to reality, which is slow.

In my (Norfolk) village there's a man who does a good line in
carrier pigeons - would you like me to ask him to contact you?

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.html

In 1990, or 2005? Whichever, somebody had too much time available.
Thank goodness.
--
Davey.
Old October 25th 12, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

Davey wrote:
Except they were doing no such thing. The flyer offered great Broadband
and 'phone service, and sounded as though Infinity or whatever it's
called was coming to this part of semi-rural East Anglia that's only
half an hour's drive from Bury St. Edmunds.
But no, it was just an offer of their normal Broadband service, with a
Hub at a discount, and low price for three months, and a deal on 'phone
calls, which is useless for our usage anyway.
But just for a minute there, I thought........

Back to reality, which is slow.

In my (Norfolk) village there's a man who does a good line in carrier
pigeons - would you like me to ask him to contact you?

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.html

That "scientific paper" reminds me of a story that one of my friends
used to dine out on.
He was working as a development engineer for Plessey (anyone remember
them?) many years ago on a new bit of telecoms equipment. Someone came
up with a way to confuse the (US) competition if any news of the project
happened to leak out of the lab.
They apparently designed the kit using "RSF" units.
Dimensions: R = Rod, pole or perch (5.03M)
Weight: S = Stone
Time: F = Fortnight
None of the above units were/are used or understood by Americans.
Probably untrue but a good story nonetheless!

George

Old October 25th 12, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
George Weston wrote:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.html

That "scientific paper" reminds me of a story that one of my friends
used to dine out on.

There is a tradition of RFCs dated 1st April. Another classic example
is

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1437

and there is a list at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_F...t_for_Comments

-- Richard
Old October 25th 12, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

Davey wrote:
Except they were doing no such thing. The flyer offered great
Broadband and 'phone service, and sounded as though Infinity or
whatever it's called was coming to this part of semi-rural East
Anglia that's only half an hour's drive from Bury St. Edmunds. But
no, it was just an offer of their normal Broadband service,
with a Hub at a discount, and low price for three months, and a deal
on 'phone calls, which is useless for our usage anyway. But just for
a minute there, I thought........

Back to reality, which is slow.

In my (Norfolk) village there's a man who does a good line in carrier
pigeons - would you like me to ask him to contact you?

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.html

In 1990, or 2005? Whichever, somebody had too much time available.
Thank goodness.

And in fact in late March most years...

And then: http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/

Old October 25th 12, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

Davey wrote:
[...]

The Americans (well, some of them) were using microfortnights long before
that...as any VMS user will know.

(a microfortnight is about 1.2 seconds, and an attoparsec is about 1.2
inches - if I remember right).

1 attoparsec/microfortnight = ~1 inch/second

Old October 25th 12, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 12:27:38 +0000, Richard Tobin wrote:

In article ,
George Weston wrote:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.html

That "scientific paper" reminds me of a story that one of my friends
used to dine out on.

There is a tradition of RFCs dated 1st April. Another classic example
is

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1437

and there is a list at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_F...t_for_Comments