Ping Bob Pullen

Old October 30th 12, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterL

Default Ping Bob Pullen

Hi Bob

We went 'live' with Plusnet fibre on Friday. There were a few of things
that troubled me about the installation (didn't flow in accordance the PN
handbook) but, fortunately, we somehow muddled past those. What bothers me
now though, is that the actual speed of the service is
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below Plusnet's prediction; we get around 22Mb down
(against 33Mb) and 1Mb up (against 5Mb). PN said we should be +/- 1Mb of
estimated. Can I please ask:

- I've raised a ticket on the speed issue. How long should it be before I
get a response or will 'things' happen automatically?

- I'm worried that when I've called in on the telephone, the wait time is as
long as 20 minutes. Is this a reflection on the 'quality' of service?

- Can you please give me a direct link to 'ask a question' (ie raise a
ticket) without getting stuck in what appears to be a perpetual loop?

My experience so far, is that PN's front line support (customer services) is
as scripted as all the other low-cost operators and that getting to through
someone that can actually 'speak the same language' is a frustrating
exercise.

If there is a better pathway for airing these views then please let me know.

Many thanks
Peter

Old October 30th 12, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 14:17:28 -0000, "PeterL"
wrote:

Hi Bob

We went 'live' with Plusnet fibre on Friday. There were a few of things
that troubled me about the installation (didn't flow in accordance the PN
handbook) but, fortunately, we somehow muddled past those. What bothers me
now though, is that the actual speed of the service is
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below Plusnet's prediction; we get around 22Mb down
(against 33Mb) and 1Mb up (against 5Mb). PN said we should be +/- 1Mb of
estimated. Can I please ask:

- I've raised a ticket on the speed issue. How long should it be before I
get a response or will 'things' happen automatically?

- I'm worried that when I've called in on the telephone, the wait time is as
long as 20 minutes. Is this a reflection on the 'quality' of service?

It does vary IME.

- Can you please give me a direct link to 'ask a question' (ie raise a
ticket) without getting stuck in what appears to be a perpetual loop?

I haven't found one yet. However I would expect this to be slower
than a phonecall.

My experience so far, is that PN's front line support (customer services) is
as scripted as all the other low-cost operators and that getting to through
someone that can actually 'speak the same language' is a frustrating
exercise.

Again, it does vary.

If there is a better pathway for airing these views then please let me know.

The plusnet newsgroups and the community forums are often a good way
of getting a quick response.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old October 30th 12, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 30/10/2012 14:17, PeterL wrote:
Hi Bob

We went 'live' with Plusnet fibre on Friday. There were a few of things
that troubled me about the installation (didn't flow in accordance the
PN handbook) but, fortunately, we somehow muddled past those. What
bothers me now though, is that the actual speed of the service is
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below Plusnet's prediction; we get around 22Mb
down (against 33Mb) and 1Mb up (against 5Mb). PN said we should be +/-
1Mb of estimated. Can I please ask:

- I've raised a ticket on the speed issue. How long should it be before
I get a response or will 'things' happen automatically?

You normally get a response from my experience.

- I'm worried that when I've called in on the telephone, the wait time
is as long as 20 minutes. Is this a reflection on the 'quality' of
service?

If you want, you can check the current CS stats before you ring:
http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=212

Currently, the longest wait time is 7min.

http://xkcd.com/806/

Old October 30th 12, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 16:36:52 +0000, chris wrote:

[...]

What was it that concerned you about the Openreach installation?

Was it anything that could impact on performance, like your own wiring
branching off before the master socket?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old October 30th 12, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

Nice to see you back.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
Old October 30th 12, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 18:01:37 +0000, DrTeeth
wrote:

Nice to see you back.

Nice to see you too, but I've not been anywhere.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old October 31st 12, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 30/10/2012 14:17, PeterL wrote:
Hi Bob

Hi Peter, and welcome aboard.

We went 'live' with Plusnet fibre on Friday. There were a few of things
that troubled me about the installation (didn't flow in accordance the
PN handbook) but, fortunately, we somehow muddled past those. What
bothers me now though, is that the actual speed of the service is
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below Plusnet's prediction; we get around 22Mb
down (against 33Mb) and 1Mb up (against 5Mb). PN said we should be +/-
1Mb of estimated. Can I please ask:

- I've raised a ticket on the speed issue. How long should it be before
I get a response or will 'things' happen automatically?

Normally within a day or so, we aim for 8 hours. Somebody's already
linked to it but there's some stats here - http://csc.plus.net

Response times can differ depending on the nature of the enquiry.

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

- I'm worried that when I've called in on the telephone, the wait time
is as long as 20 minutes. Is this a reflection on the 'quality' of
service?

Depends on the department and time of day. See the aforementioned link
for more info.

- Can you please give me a direct link to 'ask a question' (ie raise a
ticket) without getting stuck in what appears to be a perpetual loop?

Should be no further than a couple of clicks into the Help Assistant.
This should take you straight there though (tech support) -
http://users.plus.net/QL:CFAC69A5

My experience so far, is that PN's front line support (customer
services) is as scripted as all the other low-cost operators and that
getting to through someone that can actually 'speak the same language'
is a frustrating exercise.

The guys in the support centre don't follow scripts so it's a little
disappointing to hear this.

If you've a recent support ticket reference you can provide me with then
I'll happily take a look and see if there's anything I can do to help.

If there is a better pathway for airing these views then please let me
know.

p.s.customer-feedback's a good place. Failing that, our Community Site
forums.

Old November 1st 12, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:09:58 +0000, Plusnet Support Team
wrote:

[...]

Inelegant use of a repository of information, call it a script,
knowledgebase, or whatever, isn't a bad thing per se, in fact I would
have thought their use would be universal in ISP support.

The important thing is that the first liners have real knowledge of
the issues, the scripts just serve to promote consistency.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old November 2nd 12, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 20:31:37 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:09:58 +0000, Plusnet Support Team
wrote:

--snip--

The guys in the support centre don't follow scripts so it's a little
disappointing to hear this.

If you've a recent support ticket reference you can provide me with then
I'll happily take a look and see if there's anything I can do to help.

If there is a better pathway for airing these views then please let me
know.

p.s.customer-feedback's a good place. Failing that, our Community Site
forums.

Inelegant use of a repository of information, call it a script,
knowledgebase, or whatever, isn't a bad thing per se, in fact I would
have thought their use would be universal in ISP support.

The important thing is that the first liners have real knowledge of
the issues, the scripts just serve to promote consistency.

Personally I'm glad PN don't use scripts. It's far better to employ
people who "know stuff". It is usually very frustrating to talk to
'droids' using scripts since you know that their script will not deal
with the problem you are calling about.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old November 4th 12, 01:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

Mark considered Fri, 02 Nov 2012
09:03:40 +0000 the perfect time to write:

wrote:

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:09:58 +0000, Plusnet Support Team
wrote:

--snip--

[...]

I find that asking them what command I should run from the FreeBSD
BASH shell to get the IP information is usually enough to get past
script readers :-)