Good router/moden for use in "crowded" wifi environment?

Old October 31st 12, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+

Default Good router/moden for use in "crowded" wifi environment?

My mother recent bought an iPad but has been frustrated by its inability to
maintain a wifi connection for more than a couple of minutes at a time in
her Glasgow tennement flat.

I've brought it back to my house and it works just fine on my network. In
her flats, it can usually "see" two or three networks and when I had a
fiddle with "inssider" on her laptop, I could pick up 23 different wifi
networks.

I've tried a spot of "channel hopping", picking ones that are furthest away
from the strongest signals (it's impossible to avoid them all) but it's made
no difference. Her current router/modem is a freebie from Talktalk, one of
the "picture frame" ones like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUAWEI-Ech...item2a24e3d8e0

It worked better in the back of the house (presumably further from
interference) but unfortunately, its range is insufficient to reach the
front room where she would like to use the ipad.

Are there any routers that I could be reasonably sure would work better in
this environment?

I did wonder about adding a WAP to her system but even when close to the
router, the ipad seems unable to maintain a steady connection.

Tim

Old October 31st 12, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Tim+ wrote:

Are there any routers that I could be reasonably sure would work better in
this environment?

It may not be the "crowded" Wifi causing the problem, it might be the
iPad, in the past (maybe still) they had issues with DHCP leases, if she
only uses it in the home, try a static IP address.

Old October 31st 12, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Boulding

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 12:14:31 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote in
:

Tim+ wrote:

Are there any routers that I could be reasonably sure would work better in
this environment?

It may not be the "crowded" Wifi causing the problem, it might be the
iPad, in the past (maybe still) they had issues with DHCP leases, if she
only uses it in the home, try a static IP address.

It might also be worth considering those devices that carry a LAN via the
mains electricity supply. I'm told they work well nowadays so long as you
plug them directly into the mains (rather than a multi-socket extension
lead).
(http://www.techradar.com/news/networking/powerline-networking-what-you-need-to-know-930691)

--
Regards, Peter Boulding
(to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
Old October 31st 12, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Peter Boulding wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

Are there any routers that I could be reasonably sure would work better in
this environment?

It might also be worth considering those devices that carry a LAN via the
mains electricity supply.

How does that help an iPad?

Old October 31st 12, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Boulding

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 12:29:47 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote in
:

Peter Boulding wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

Are there any routers that I could be reasonably sure would work better in
this environment?

It might also be worth considering those devices that carry a LAN via the
mains electricity supply.

How does that help an iPad?

If you can't connect it via a LAN cable in the required room (Can you? I
have no interest in Apple devices) you can attach your wireless router to
the said device--again within the required room. Sounds kludgy, but from
what I've read it works.

Old October 31st 12, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

Peter Boulding wrote:

Tim+ wrote:

Are there any routers that I could be reasonably sure would work better in
this environment?

It might also be worth considering those devices that carry a LAN via the
mains electricity supply.

How does that help an iPad?

If you can't connect it via a LAN cable in the required room (Can you? I
have no interest in Apple devices) you can attach your wireless router to
the said device--again within the required room. Sounds kludgy, but from
what I've read it works.

Develo do a kit of one ethernet to mains plug and one mains to
ethernet/WIFI - But it aint cheap.

--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old October 31st 12, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 11:59:11 -0000, "Tim+"
wrote:

Are there any routers that I could be reasonably sure would work better in
this environment?

After using many routers I have finished up with a BT Home Hub 3. It
works wirelessly from any place in the house and outside the house for
a few metres.

Steve

Old October 31st 12, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Tim+ wrote:
My mother recent bought an iPad but has been frustrated by its inability to
maintain a wifi connection for more than a couple of minutes at a time in
her Glasgow tennement flat.

I've brought it back to my house and it works just fine on my network. In
her flats, it can usually "see" two or three networks and when I had a
fiddle with "inssider" on her laptop, I could pick up 23 different wifi
networks.

I've tried a spot of "channel hopping", picking ones that are furthest away
from the strongest signals (it's impossible to avoid them all) but it's made
no difference. Her current router/modem is a freebie from Talktalk, one of
the "picture frame" ones like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUAWEI-Ech...reless-G-ADSL2

-Router-/181007538400?pt=UK_Computing_Wireless_Routers&hash =item2a24e3d8e0

This device is described as Wireless-g. Maybe yours is Wireless-n? That might
explain why it works better.

You could replace your mother's entire modem/router, making sure the
replacement has wireless-n, or just switch off its wireless function and add a
wireless-n access point. Either should work.

If practicable, some experimenting with the physical location of the wireless
device (whichever you opt for) may also help.

Rod.

Old October 31st 12, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
Are there any routers that I could be reasonably sure would work better in
this environment?

Well, you want one with 802.11n rather than just 11g (which is all her
current one has), and I think almost all current routers have 11n. It
might also work better to get one that can use the 5GHz band, which is
usually much less crowded - assuming the iPad can handle that.

-- Richard
Old October 31st 12, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Peter Boulding wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

How does that help an iPad?

If you can't connect it via a LAN cable in the required room (Can you? I
have no interest in Apple devices) you can attach your wireless router to
the said device--again within the required room.

But iPads don't have Ethernet ports and the O/P said having the iPad
near to an Access Point didn't help.