Will my broadband change at all?

Old October 31st 12, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Victor Delta

Default Will my broadband change at all?

I'm in the process of changing my ISP from Orange to PlusNet.

Although there may be some improvement in customer service etc, am I right
in thinking that as the 'new' broadband will still emanate from my local BT
exchange and travel down the same twisted pair, I'm not likely to notice any
difference in basic service, speed etc. i.e. it's just like changing gas or
electricity supplier where nothing on the supply side really changes?

Old October 31st 12, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rob

On 31/10/2012 16:33, Victor Delta wrote:
I'm in the process of changing my ISP from Orange to PlusNet.

Although there may be some improvement in customer service etc, am I
right in thinking that as the 'new' broadband will still emanate from my
local BT exchange and travel down the same twisted pair, I'm not likely
to notice any difference in basic service, speed etc. i.e. it's just
like changing gas or electricity supplier where nothing on the supply
side really changes?

Probably not. ALthough when I moved from BT to Orange. (Same exchange
and copper wires) I got a 75% increase in speed.
Old October 31st 12, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Victor Delta" wrote in message ...

I'm in the process of changing my ISP from Orange to PlusNet.

Although there may be some improvement in customer service etc, am I right
in thinking that as the 'new' broadband will still emanate from my local BT
exchange and travel down the same twisted pair, I'm not likely to notice any
difference in basic service, speed etc. i.e. it's just like changing gas or
electricity supplier where nothing on the supply side really changes?

Well I'm getting 13 Mbs from Be and others quote me I will get between 5 to
8 Mbs including Plusnet.
Let us know what happens to you please.
Regards
David

Old October 31st 12, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Victor Delta wrote:
:........
: difference in basic service, speed etc. i.e. it's just like changing gas or
: electricity supplier where nothing on the supply side really changes?

Not quite! While, as you say, it is the same line there are still some
changes which may cause noticeable effects!

At the exchange end the "broadband" side of your line will be connected to
the Orange DSLAM presently - and they can set such things as the "target
SNR" remotely according to their rules and practices.

PlusNet are owned by BT and thus may use the BT DSLAM - so that's a wiring
change for starters. Also I think BT set the policies for all ISPs using
their DSLAM.
Old October 31st 12, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

David wrote:
: Well I'm getting 13 Mbs from Be and others quote me I will get between 5 to
: 8 Mbs including Plusnet.

I went from Be to Sky and got almost exactly the same speed!
Old October 31st 12, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Brian Mc wrote:

Victor Delta wrote:

: difference in basic service, speed etc. i.e. it's just like changing gas or
: electricity supplier where nothing on the supply side really changes?

At the exchange end the "broadband" side of your line will be connected to
the Orange DSLAM presently - and they can set such things as the "target
SNR" remotely according to their rules and practices.

I thought Orange broadband was taken over (apart from in name) by BT,
does anyone know if they kept separate DSLAMs or moved customers to BT kit?

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadban...network-for-bt

Old October 31st 12, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Andy Burns wrote:
: I thought Orange broadband was taken over (apart from in name) by BT,
: does anyone know if they kept separate DSLAMs or moved customers to BT kit?

You may well now be correct! When I was with Orange some years ago they
certainly then had their own DSLAMs

Many ISPs still do (Be - and thus O2, Sky etc.)

Old October 31st 12, 09:10 PM
jonbenno jonbenno is offline
Junior Member

Exclamation

BT will definitely use their own DSLAM which in turn will connect to their BRAS(broadband remote access server). Your line may not change dramatically as the distance from the exchange will not change meaning you will have the same attenuation on BT as you did Orange, BT hub 3's that they distribute now are pretty good and I know a few people who really don't rate the routers given out by Orange so you may benefit that way.
BT also have a system called DLM(dynamic line management) which constantly monitors the performance of it's adsl circuits, the job of the DLM is to provide the best relationship between speed and stability and it usually does a reasonable job (but does make mistakes!)

to summarise, your actual pair from the exchange(copper if your lucky) may not change but there are quite a few differences between the providers but the only way to say for sure which is best for you is to try them!

no matter what they tell you this is always the case and why people complain when they hear what speeds their neighbours are getting! every line is different, especially at night when ambient noise levels rise so we cannot say who can provide what/where exactly!

so there you go....hope that helps but it probably won't LOL
Old October 31st 12, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 31/10/2012 17:21, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Mc wrote:

Victor Delta wrote:

: difference in basic service, speed etc. i.e. it's just like changing
gas or
: electricity supplier where nothing on the supply side really changes?

At the exchange end the "broadband" side of your line will be
connected to
the Orange DSLAM presently - and they can set such things as the "target
SNR" remotely according to their rules and practices.

I thought Orange broadband was taken over (apart from in name) by BT,
does anyone know if they kept separate DSLAMs or moved customers to BT kit?

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadban...network-for-bt

Orange was not *taken over*. They are now part of EE (Everything
Everywhere), subsequent to their merger with T-Mobile. The article
refers to the fact that Orange stopped providing their own LLU* service
and reverted (like most other ISPs) to using BT's exchange equipment.
Also, in answer to the other poster, Plusnet operates as a separate ISP,
even though the company is owned by BT. Yes, they use BT's exchange
equipment but so do the majority of all the other ISPs, especially in
areas such as mine, where there's no LLU* presence in the exchange.
Despite this, there *can* be a difference in performance between ISPs,
even if they all use BT's exchange kit; this difference is due to the
ISP's equipment "at their end".
Having said all that, they all use BT's wiring from the exchange to the
premises, apart from Virgin Cable and a few other niche suppliers.

*look it up

George