A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Ripoff O2 raises non-EU charges astronomically ....



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 2nd 12, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
CJB
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 127
Default Ripoff O2 raises non-EU charges astronomically ....

6 per MB for data !!!!!!!!! And Giffgaff / Tesco will follow.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bil...utside-EU.html

Thought Giffgaff was an ultimate ripoff. We were in Bangkok recently
and I turned my phone on for texting. But then received two short
calls from the UK which I cut short. My balance in the UK was 12.
Suddenly I got a text from Giffgaff informing me of an autotop up.
Those two calls cost me over 10.
  #2  
Old November 2nd 12, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 291
Default Ripoff O2 raises non-EU charges astronomically ....

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 06:11:56 -0700, CJB wrote:

6 per MB for data !!!!!!!!! And Giffgaff / Tesco will follow.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bil...68/O2-roaming-

charges-mobile-network-doubles-text-prices-outside-EU.html

Thought Giffgaff was an ultimate ripoff. We were in Bangkok recently and
I turned my phone on for texting. But then received two short calls from
the UK which I cut short. My balance in the UK was 12.
Suddenly I got a text from Giffgaff informing me of an autotop up.
Those two calls cost me over 10.


According to the "Roaming in other countries" section of
http://giffgaff.com/index/pricing
each inbound call would have cost you 1 per minute (charged in 1 minute
increments). So 2 calls would have cost you at least 2, and that would
have triggered the auto-top-up.
  #3  
Old November 2nd 12, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Brian A
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,037
Default Ripoff O2 raises non-EU charges astronomically ....

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 15:26:05 +0000, Andrew Benham wrote:

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 06:11:56 -0700, CJB wrote:

6 per MB for data !!!!!!!!! And Giffgaff / Tesco will follow.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bil...68/O2-roaming-

charges-mobile-network-doubles-text-prices-outside-EU.html

Thought Giffgaff was an ultimate ripoff. We were in Bangkok recently
and I turned my phone on for texting. But then received two short calls
from the UK which I cut short. My balance in the UK was 12.
Suddenly I got a text from Giffgaff informing me of an autotop up.
Those two calls cost me over 10.


According to the "Roaming in other countries" section of
http://giffgaff.com/index/pricing
each inbound call would have cost you 1 per minute (charged in 1 minute
increments). So 2 calls would have cost you at least 2, and that would
have triggered the auto-top-up.

I would never, in my wildest dreams, use a UK SIM anywhere than in the
UK. Always buy a local SIM ! Roaming charges are a complete rip-off, they
always have been and the operators know that.


  #4  
Old November 3rd 12, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 93
Default Ripoff O2 raises non-EU charges astronomically ....

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 22:57:21 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 15:26:05 +0000, Andrew Benham wrote:

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 06:11:56 -0700, CJB wrote:

6 per MB for data !!!!!!!!! And Giffgaff / Tesco will follow.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bil...68/O2-roaming-

charges-mobile-network-doubles-text-prices-outside-EU.html

Thought Giffgaff was an ultimate ripoff. We were in Bangkok recently
and I turned my phone on for texting. But then received two short calls
from the UK which I cut short. My balance in the UK was 12.
Suddenly I got a text from Giffgaff informing me of an autotop up.
Those two calls cost me over 10.


According to the "Roaming in other countries" section of
http://giffgaff.com/index/pricing
each inbound call would have cost you 1 per minute (charged in 1 minute
increments). So 2 calls would have cost you at least 2, and that would
have triggered the auto-top-up.

I would never, in my wildest dreams, use a UK SIM anywhere than in the
UK. Always buy a local SIM ! Roaming charges are a complete rip-off, they
always have been and the operators know that.


Well quite.
I've never been to Thailand, but a quick Google suggests PAYG SIM
cards are redilly availible, and what is more I can call a Thai mobile
with my VoIP provider for about 1p/min half the price of calling a UK
mobile!

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
  #5  
Old November 3rd 12, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 343
Default Ripoff O2 raises non-EU charges astronomically ....

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 22:57:21 GMT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Brian A disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Always buy a local SIM !

I just went to the USA. I went to the local Wal-Mart and got a better
deal than a local sim. I got two Verizon phones for $15 each - which
included $10 call credit. Calling Verizon to Verizon did not have any
charge. So for 99 cents a day, my wife and I could phone each other
for no additional cost.

It would have cost 2.35 per minute for me to phone her using our
regular phones, 1.35 a minute for me making the call and 1 per
minute for her receiving it. What a bloody rip-off!
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
  #6  
Old November 3rd 12, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 458
Default Ripoff O2 raises non-EU charges astronomically ....

Graham. wrote:

Well quite.
I've never been to Thailand, but a quick Google suggests PAYG SIM
cards are redilly availible, and what is more I can call a Thai mobile
with my VoIP provider for about 1p/min half the price of calling a UK
mobile!


Indeed. In fact one of our lads is on his 'gap year' and living like Robinson
Crusoe on a Thai island. He has a Thai PAYG SIM card. We ring him via 18185
for 1.5 p/m !!

Curiously I was in South Africa last month roaming on my Vodafone UK SIM, I
was charged 40p a text to UK numbers, but only 20p for texts to him ? The UK
texts were labelled 'EU', the Thai ones 'International'. Go figure ?

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.

www.paras.org.uk
  #7  
Old November 4th 12, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 467
Default Ripoff O2 raises non-EU charges astronomically ....

On 03/11/2012 17:49, DrTeeth wrote:
On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 22:57:21 GMT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Brian disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Always buy a local SIM !

I just went to the USA. I went to the local Wal-Mart and got a better
deal than a local sim. I got two Verizon phones for $15 each - which
included $10 call credit. Calling Verizon to Verizon did not have any
charge. So for 99 cents a day, my wife and I could phone each other
for no additional cost.

It would have cost 2.35 per minute for me to phone her using our
regular phones, 1.35 a minute for me making the call and 1 per
minute for her receiving it. What a bloody rip-off!
--


That really does sound the best way forward.
There are some similar, amazingly cheap deals in the UK at the moment too.
Tesco is currently selling PAYG phones from 9.
http://www.tesco.com/direct/technolo...To=11;pageNo=1

Whether or not such deals are available in all countries visited is
another matter...

George
  #8  
Old November 5th 12, 05:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 45
Default Ripoff O2 raises non-EU charges astronomically ....

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 01:12:36 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 22:57:21 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 15:26:05 +0000, Andrew Benham wrote:

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 06:11:56 -0700, CJB wrote:

6 per MB for data !!!!!!!!! And Giffgaff / Tesco will follow.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bil...68/O2-roaming-
charges-mobile-network-doubles-text-prices-outside-EU.html

Thought Giffgaff was an ultimate ripoff. We were in Bangkok recently
and I turned my phone on for texting. But then received two short calls
from the UK which I cut short. My balance in the UK was 12.
Suddenly I got a text from Giffgaff informing me of an autotop up.
Those two calls cost me over 10.

According to the "Roaming in other countries" section of
http://giffgaff.com/index/pricing
each inbound call would have cost you 1 per minute (charged in 1 minute
increments). So 2 calls would have cost you at least 2, and that would
have triggered the auto-top-up.

I would never, in my wildest dreams, use a UK SIM anywhere than in the
UK. Always buy a local SIM ! Roaming charges are a complete rip-off, they
always have been and the operators know that.


Well quite.
I've never been to Thailand, but a quick Google suggests PAYG SIM
cards are redilly availible, and what is more I can call a Thai mobile
with my VoIP provider for about 1p/min half the price of calling a UK
mobile!


I go to Thailand quite often and its very easy to get a local SIM card
sorted out you as soon as you arrive. All the main network operators
have booths in the arrivals area of the airport in Bangkok. They speak
English and will install the SIM for you and configure everything to
make sure it all works while you wait. All very efficient and very
reasonably priced.

If you need 3G for mobile broadband the best network to pick is
"True".

Chris
  #9  
Old November 5th 12, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
CJB
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 127
Default Ripoff O2 raises non-EU charges astronomically ....

On Nov 5, 5:19*am, Chris Blunt wrote:
On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 01:12:36 +0000, Graham.
wrote:









On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 22:57:21 GMT, Brian A
wrote:


On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 15:26:05 +0000, Andrew Benham wrote:


On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 06:11:56 -0700, CJB wrote:


6 per MB for data !!!!!!!!! And Giffgaff / Tesco will follow.


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bil...68/O2-roaming-
charges-mobile-network-doubles-text-prices-outside-EU.html


Thought Giffgaff was an ultimate ripoff. We were in Bangkok recently
and I turned my phone on for texting. But then received two short calls
from the UK which I cut short. My balance in the UK was 12.
Suddenly I got a text from Giffgaff informing me of an autotop up.
Those two calls cost me over 10.


According to the "Roaming in other countries" section of
* *http://giffgaff.com/index/pricing
each inbound call would have cost you 1 per minute (charged in 1 minute
increments). *So 2 calls would have cost you at least 2, and that would
have triggered the auto-top-up.
I would never, in my wildest dreams, use a UK SIM anywhere than in the
UK. Always buy a local SIM ! Roaming charges are a complete rip-off, they
always have been and the operators know that.


Well quite.
I've never been to Thailand, but a quick Google suggests PAYG SIM
cards are redilly availible, and what is more I can call a Thai mobile
with my VoIP provider for about 1p/min half the price of calling a UK
mobile!


I go to Thailand quite often and its very easy to get a local SIM card
sorted out you as soon as you arrive. All the main network operators
have booths in the arrivals area of the airport in Bangkok. They speak
English and will install the SIM for you and configure everything to
make sure it all works while you wait. All very efficient and very
reasonably priced.

If you need 3G for mobile broadband the best network to pick is
"True".

Chris


Thank you - wish we had had that info. before we went.

But having read about the corrupt airport police being a law
answerable only to their mafia masters, the duty free scams (Google
'King Power' - many European Government Tourist Advisories have warned
about this company and its scams), and the ubiquitous taxi scams at
Bangkok Airport (BTW nicknamed Swampi) - all with the potential for
our luggage to be broken into or stolen in the milling crowds - we
weren't exactly looking out for SIM card sellers. All we wanted was to
get the hell out of the place in one piece STS. Luckily our hotel
arranged for a limo. pickup.

But on the way home we nearly did get scammed by the King Power
security goons - even though we deliberately chose not go anywhere
near their outlets. They patrol the corridor between the shops
searching for victims to accuse of shoplifting. Then you have to pay
them or a 'fixer' mega-bahts to be able to catch your flight. At times
the goons out number the passengers. Nasty corrupt place.

Actually we were glad to leave the hell hole of Bangkok. Nasty city.
Nasty country.

CJB.
  #10  
Old November 5th 12, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 140
Default Ripoff O2 raises non-EU charges astronomically ....

In uk.telecom.broadband Brian A wrote:
: On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 15:26:05 +0000, Andrew Benham wrote:
: I would never, in my wildest dreams, use a UK SIM anywhere than in the
: UK. Always buy a local SIM ! Roaming charges are a complete rip-off, they
: always have been and the operators know that.

No longer true for Europe in many cases - unless doing alot of calling!

Even when I was with agroup in Canada we were using our mobiles with UK
SIM cards - but ONLY for TXT messages to locate each other and NOT for
voice!



 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Three Limits / Reduces Fair Use Data AND raises Prices SB uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 9 January 17th 11 02:41 PM
Alternative to BT / Demon Ripoff ? CJB uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 6 August 1st 09 10:27 AM
Virgin Ripoff Gonz uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 16 October 5th 07 09:53 AM
One line down, one to go + charges? T i m uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 27 September 15th 07 12:43 PM
Getting out of BT Exchange Activate Ripoff? Travec the Dacian uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 25 September 12th 06 10:03 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.