For those who are used to interpreting router figures

Old November 5th 12, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

Default For those who are used to interpreting router figures

Recently installed Billion 7800n

ADSL2
Upstream 803
Downstream 4183
SNR Margin(Upstream) 5.9
SNR Margin(Downstream) 4.7
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 37.7
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 58.0

Actual attained
Upstream 682
Downstream 3400

The upsteam figure of 682 is unvarying over several days, the
downstream fluctuates between 3390 to 3470.

I imagine that the limiting factor is the downstream attenuation due
to distance from exchange and nearest cabinet and me?

Grateful for any thoughts.
--
rbel
Old November 5th 12, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

rbel wrote:

Recently installed Billion 7800n

ADSL2
Upstream 803
Downstream 4183
SNR Margin(Upstream) 5.9
SNR Margin(Downstream) 4.7
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 37.7
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 58.0

Actual attained
Upstream 682
Downstream 3400

The upsteam figure of 682 is unvarying over several days, the
downstream fluctuates between 3390 to 3470.

I imagine that the limiting factor is the downstream attenuation due
to distance from exchange and nearest cabinet and me?

Grateful for any thoughts.
--
rbel

The measured speed from speedtest websites is usually about 84% of the
sync speed reported by the router. See:
http://blog.ioshints.info/2009/03/adsl-overhead.html

So the speed you have measured seem pretty reasonable ...

--
Graham J

Old November 5th 12, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 20:49:58 +0000, Graham J [email protected] wrote:

rbel wrote:

[...]

Yes it does. Interesting article - many thanks.
--
rbel
Old November 5th 12, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 05/11/12 19:55, rbel wrote:

Recently installed Billion 7800n

ADSL2
Upstream 803
Downstream 4183
SNR Margin(Upstream) 5.9
SNR Margin(Downstream) 4.7
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 37.7
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 58.0

Actual attained
Upstream 682
Downstream 3400

The upsteam figure of 682 is unvarying over several days, the
downstream fluctuates between 3390 to 3470.

I imagine that the limiting factor is the downstream attenuation due
to distance from exchange and nearest cabinet and me?

Grateful for any thoughts.

congrats on the Billion. My favourite router.
yes the downstream atten is the limiting factor and you are synching
about as high as you are likely to ever get (4183)

803 up looks like ADSL2+? you may get better downstream by dropping
back to ADSL1 and 448k upload speed. But you are doing good to hold that
sync speed at 58 dB attenuation.

Plusnet may know more on that. You can set ADSL1 on the billion and see
what you get ADSL-Connect Mode-ADSL1 or ADSL2. Talk to them and see.

There is an adjustable gain in the billion: ADSL-coding gain-7 will
screw the last fragment of speed out BUT you risk being jumped to a 9dB
SN margin if the link gets too flaky at that speed.

Looks like you are on a 3500BRAS which is all you can expect and the
backhaul is keeping up fairly well with that.

3390-3470 is a reflection of an ALMOST clear 3500 channel.

So the only thing that might tweak the speed up a little is the coding
gain. Try it and see if you can hold a bit more raw sync speed - maybe
4600 or so.

--
rbel

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old November 6th 12, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 22:37:57 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 05/11/12 19:55, rbel wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for your thoughts. The Billion is an interesting piece of
kit, very good wireless range, simple to set up, but quite
configurable. My previous two routers were 2Wire 2700's but after the
second packed up I thought that I would try something a bit more 21
century.

I will try your suggested tweak and see if it produces a bit more
performance.
--
rbel
Old November 6th 12, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

On 05/11/12 19:55, rbel wrote:

[...]

And talk to Plusnet chappie here to see if dropping back to ADSL less
than two plus would actually give you better performance on you
seemingly very long line.

Or you can just try it on the Billion anyway. But too many reboots may
upset the sensing kit and deem your line unworthy of its currently low
SN margin.

Old November 6th 12, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

And talk to Plusnet chappie here to see if dropping back to ADSL less
than two plus would actually give you better performance on you
seemingly very long line.

I'd suggest against it given the fairly admirable speed the OP's already
getting on such a long line.

You know what they say, if it ain't broke ...

Old November 6th 12, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 13:17:19 +0000, Plusnet Support Team

And talk to Plusnet chappie here to see if dropping back to ADSL less
than two plus would actually give you better performance on you
seemingly very long line.

I'd suggest against it given the fairly admirable speed the OP's already
getting on such a long line.

You know what they say, if it ain't broke ...

TNP and Bob, many thanks, I will ponder a while.
--
rbel
Old November 6th 12, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 06/11/12 13:17, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
And talk to Plusnet chappie here to see if dropping back to ADSL less
than two plus would actually give you better performance on you
seemingly very long line.

I'd suggest against it given the fairly admirable speed the OP's already
getting on such a long line.

You know what they say, if it ain't broke ...

Thanks Bob.

I knew yould stick a helmet above the parapet if I sent a flare up...:-)