Upload speed degrading faster than download speed?

Old November 19th 12, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default Upload speed degrading faster than download speed?

Hi all,

I noticed this weekend that my upload speed degrades worse over wi-fi
than my d/load speed. e.g. downstairs the speeds were measured (via
speedtest.net) as ~10Mbps down and ~0.09Mbps up over wifi. Where
upstairs when connected via ethernet I get ~12Mbps down and ~0.3Mbps up.

Anyone any idea why the upload speeds are so much worse downstairs? BTW
I'm on ADSL2+ with plusnet.
TIA
Old November 19th 12, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 19/11/12 09:10, chris wrote:
Hi all,

I noticed this weekend that my upload speed degrades worse over wi-fi
than my d/load speed. e.g. downstairs the speeds were measured (via
speedtest.net) as ~10Mbps down and ~0.09Mbps up over wifi. Where
upstairs when connected via ethernet I get ~12Mbps down and ~0.3Mbps up.

Anyone any idea why the upload speeds are so much worse downstairs? BTW
I'm on ADSL2+ with plusnet.
TIA

weird.

Can think of no logical explanation - unless you have a very very
marginal wifi connection and 'noisy' neighbours.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old November 19th 12, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Chris wrote:
I noticed this weekend that my upload speed degrades worse over wi-fi
than my d/load speed. e.g. downstairs the speeds were measured (via
speedtest.net) as ~10Mbps down and ~0.09Mbps up over wifi. Where
upstairs when connected via ethernet I get ~12Mbps down and ~0.3Mbps up.

Anyone any idea why the upload speeds are so much worse downstairs? BTW
I'm on ADSL2+ with plusnet.

Do you measure speed with the same computer upstairs and downstairs?

When you make the measurement, are there any other devices (computers,
smartphones, game boxes etc) connected at the same time?

When you check the speed by ethernet, do you switch off the wireless
function in the computer?

Can you check the DHCP client list in your modem/router, i.e. how many
devices are connected? Is it one of the ones with a light that flickers
when data is passing through (e.g. Netgear)? If so, does the light
continue to flicker when you disconnect all your devices?

If you only have one computer, can you borrow another one to test?

The fact that you're getting 12Mb/s downstream suggests it isn't a line
fault. Upstream should be about 1Mb/s, so if you're getting a lot less
than this, even by ethernet, maybe something else is using it. Have you
ever used a torrent type filesharing service for example.

Rod.

Old November 19th 12, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 19/11/2012 09:10, chris wrote:
Hi all,

I noticed this weekend that my upload speed degrades worse over wi-fi
than my d/load speed. e.g. downstairs the speeds were measured (via
speedtest.net) as ~10Mbps down and ~0.09Mbps up over wifi. Where
upstairs when connected via ethernet I get ~12Mbps down and ~0.3Mbps up.

Anyone any idea why the upload speeds are so much worse downstairs? BTW
I'm on ADSL2+ with plusnet.
TIA

The wired uplink speed is suspiciously low. I get better than that on
basic ADSL2 so I suspect something is stealing your uplink bandwidth and
bittorrent filesharing or something darker sending out spam.

What speed does Wifi used upstairs or very near the router manage?

Shutdown all other Wifi devices and retry. And/or do a deep AV scan.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old November 19th 12, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 19/11/2012 12:03, Roderick Stewart wrote:
In article , Chris wrote:
I noticed this weekend that my upload speed degrades worse over wi-fi
than my d/load speed. e.g. downstairs the speeds were measured (via
speedtest.net) as ~10Mbps down and ~0.09Mbps up over wifi. Where
upstairs when connected via ethernet I get ~12Mbps down and ~0.3Mbps up.

Anyone any idea why the upload speeds are so much worse downstairs? BTW
I'm on ADSL2+ with plusnet.

Do you measure speed with the same computer upstairs and downstairs?

No, different ones.

When you make the measurement, are there any other devices (computers,
smartphones, game boxes etc) connected at the same time?

Probably, but likely idle. I guess it could be other devices using the
upload bandwidth. I'll try again more carefully.

When you check the speed by ethernet, do you switch off the wireless
function in the computer?

It's a desktop with no wireless.

Can you check the DHCP client list in your modem/router, i.e. how many
devices are connected? Is it one of the ones with a light that flickers
when data is passing through (e.g. Netgear)? If so, does the light
continue to flicker when you disconnect all your devices?

Good question. Don't know.

The fact that you're getting 12Mb/s downstream suggests it isn't a line
fault.

Yeah, I don't think it's a line fault either.

Upstream should be about 1Mb/s, so if you're getting a lot less
than this, even by ethernet, maybe something else is using it.

Upstream has never been near 1Mbps - I think it connects at 448kbps.

Have you
ever used a torrent type filesharing service for example.

Nope.

Old November 19th 12, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 19/11/2012 12:10, Martin Brown wrote:
On 19/11/2012 09:10, chris wrote:
Hi all,

I noticed this weekend that my upload speed degrades worse over wi-fi
than my d/load speed. e.g. downstairs the speeds were measured (via
speedtest.net) as ~10Mbps down and ~0.09Mbps up over wifi. Where
upstairs when connected via ethernet I get ~12Mbps down and ~0.3Mbps up.

Anyone any idea why the upload speeds are so much worse downstairs? BTW
I'm on ADSL2+ with plusnet.
TIA

The wired uplink speed is suspiciously low. I get better than that on
basic ADSL2 so I suspect something is stealing your uplink bandwidth and
bittorrent filesharing or something darker sending out spam.

I'm not sure it's that insidious. My upload speed was typically ~400kbps
when on ADSLMax and it didn't really change on ADSL2+. I don't I have
Annexe M (or whatever it's called) implemented on my line.

What speed does Wifi used upstairs or very near the router manage?

Shutdown all other Wifi devices and retry. And/or do a deep AV scan.

Good suggestions. I'll them out. Although, I don't think AV is relevant
as the desktops are up-to-date Linux boxes and the Mac laptop is rarely on.

Old November 19th 12, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Chris wrote:
Upstream should be about 1Mb/s, so if you're getting a lot less
than this, even by ethernet, maybe something else is using it.

Upstream has never been near 1Mbps - I think it connects at 448kbps.

If the modem upstream sync speed really is only 448kb/s but you're on
ADSL2+ getting 12Mb/s downstream, then the first thing I'd want to
check is the modem settings, and if possible try a different modem.
Then I'd get on to Plusnet tech support. Your upload speed may be
capped at a default provisioning level so you may need to request it to
be changed. You should expect around 1Mb/s, maybe a little more. It's
usually about a tenth of the downstream speed.

You may have a wireless issue as well, but I'd get the basic connection
sorted first. Then check if your wireless router and wireless devices
are wireless n or g, and use a survey program like InSSIDer to check if
anybody nearby is using the same channel.

Rod.

Old November 19th 12, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

chris (for it is he) wrote:

I noticed this weekend that my upload speed degrades worse over wi-fi
than my d/load speed. e.g. downstairs the speeds were measured (via
speedtest.net) as ~10Mbps down and ~0.09Mbps up over wifi. Where
upstairs when connected via ethernet I get ~12Mbps down and ~0.3Mbps up.

Test out the speed of the wireless locally first. Use iperf between the
wireless machine and a wired one.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:04:41 up 5 days, 9 min, 5 users, load average: 0.58, 0.86, 0.88

Old November 21st 12, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 19/11/2012 13:48, chris wrote:
[...]

We're probably capping your upstream at the wholesale level. If you can
provide me with your account username or a recent support ticket
reference from your account then I'll uncap it for you?

What speed does Wifi used upstairs or very near the router manage?

Shutdown all other Wifi devices and retry. And/or do a deep AV scan.

Good suggestions. I'll them out. Although, I don't think AV is relevant
as the desktops are up-to-date Linux boxes and the Mac laptop is rarely on.

Have you tried alternating between wireless channels (1, 6 & 11) to see
if any of them offer an improvement?

Old November 25th 12, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 21/11/2012 16:34, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
[...]

You should have mail.