Orange blocking NNTP?

Old November 22nd 12, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Biggles

Default Orange blocking NNTP?

I have an Orange broadband account, which normally shows about 7.5Mb/s
at the router and returns about 6.5Mb/s on speedtest.

I have had a news account with Eternal September for a couple of years
now and speed has been OK, but for the past couple of months or so the
response from Eternal September has been awful, with frequent time outs.

A couple of times recently I have (initially by accident) connected
through a VPN connection to my work network which in turn has a
broadband connection to Zen. Response from Eternal September is then
instant.

Now it seems bleeding obvious to me that Orange are somehow restricting
access to either NNTP or to Eternal September, but can anyone think of
another cause? Does anyone else use Orange to connect to Eternal September?

Thanks
Biggles
(Remove packaging. from my e-mail address to reply direct)
Old November 24th 12, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Freeman

Biggles wrote:

I have an Orange broadband account, which normally shows about 7.5Mb/s
at the router and returns about 6.5Mb/s on speedtest.

I have had a news account with Eternal September for a couple of years
now and speed has been OK, but for the past couple of months or so the
response from Eternal September has been awful, with frequent time outs.

A couple of times recently I have (initially by accident) connected
through a VPN connection to my work network which in turn has a
broadband connection to Zen. Response from Eternal September is then
instant.

Now it seems bleeding obvious to me that Orange are somehow restricting
access to either NNTP or to Eternal September

Try using the SSL connection for eternal september:
address: news.eternal-september.org
port: 563

it might get round the throttling (though I found that with BT, they
throttle the SSL connection to known news servers too: so much for "net
neutrality"!

My solution was to change ISP to one who doesn't throttle usenet.

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
-- Jules de Gaultier
Old November 24th 12, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Biggles

On 24/11/2012 20:38, Gordon Freeman wrote:
Biggles wrote:

[...]

Good idea, I will try that. It will be interesting to see if Orange are
clever enough to have that one covered!

Out of interest, this is the response from Orange:
-------------
"So we can continue to provide you with an excellent broadband experience
at all times of the day, we do manage our network according to certain
rules at busy times.

I've provided a link below for you to view at your own liesu

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/613297"
------------

and this link contains the following gem:
-----
"So we can continue to provide you with an excellent broadband
experience at all times of the day, we do manage our network according
to certain rules at busy times.

Our aim is to never let you down when you're using your broadband for
important things and the quality of the connection needs to be
top-notch, for example when you're playing online and just about to get
to that next level, or if you’re watching the latest episode of your
favourite program on the iPlayer.

These important services are prioritised over others that are less
time-sensitive (like file sharing) at busy times when a lot of people
are connected and our network gets very busy. The busy times are
typically between 6pm to 11:30pm on weekdays and 5pm to 11:30pm on
weekends."
-----
So basically my Usenet access (no binaries) which uses next to no
bandwidth is made unusable in order to allow bandwidth hogging stuff
like gaming and iPlayer to continue unaffected.

But the real issue is that Orange are using a sledgehammer to crack a
nut by restricting all NNTP access, irrespective of bandwidth usage.

I'm seriously considering dumping Orange, or EE as they now call
themselves. Unfortunately BT was top of my list because of Openzone........

Biggles
Old November 25th 12, 07:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

Biggles considered Sat, 24 Nov 2012
23:47:00 +0000 the perfect time to write:

Biggles wrote:

[...]

I moved to Zen after Nildram was swallowed by Tiscali, and started
imposing that kind of bandwidth throttling.

Bloody stupid, when you consider I could (and did) easily use usenet
on a 2400 baud modem, yet couldn't over an allegedly 8mbit ADSL.
If their own external bandwidth is such a problem, they should either
get more of it or install a caching news server, so local users don't
all need to go and get the same articles.