O2 POP from Tiscali

Old November 24th 12, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Default O2 POP from Tiscali

My ISP at home is Tiscali and I use Outlook for email, to and from
Tiscali.

I use PAYG O2 and out of curiosity set up an O2 email account with my
mobile O2 number, then set Outlook up on my home PC to use the O2
account. A test email was sent and received back successfully via the
O2 account, since when Outlook has not been able to log into the
account.

What am I missing?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old November 24th 12, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
My ISP at home is Tiscali and I use Outlook for email, to and from Tiscali.

I use PAYG O2 and out of curiosity set up an O2 email account with my
mobile O2 number, then set Outlook up on my home PC to use the O2
account. A test email was sent and received back successfully via the O2
account, since when Outlook has not been able to log into the account.

What am I missing?

Perhaps O2 has a technical problem that by chance arose just after your
first test - have you checked their website ?

Possibly what you actually did and what you wrote in you post that you
did are not the same thing.

If you delete the O2 account in Outlook and re-create it, does it then work?

If you create the O2 account on another computer altogether, does that work?

Can you create the account on your mobile device? Or perhaps it's plain
phone and doesn't do email ....

--
Graham J

Old November 24th 12, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

Graham J used his keyboard to write :
Can you create the account on your mobile device?

That is even odder...

I set up the O2 on my phone, using its wifi connection through my home
router and Tiscali.

Typed into my phone a test email directed to my O2 address and to my
Tiscali address, then ran Outlook to pickup email on both accounts,
where upon it picked up both emails.

It seems it cannot log into the O2 account unless there is email to
send or be received via the O2 server.

I have tested it now a few times with the same result...

With mail to send or receive, it logs into O2 fine, but with no mail
Outlook brings up a box asking for the account password to be typed in
- despite the password already being correctly typed in. Its as if it
thinks the password is wrong and is unable to log in to the O2 server.

Old November 24th 12, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MikeS

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
My ISP at home is Tiscali and I use Outlook for email, to and from
Tiscali.

I use PAYG O2 and out of curiosity set up an O2 email account with my
mobile O2 number, then set Outlook up on my home PC to use the O2 account.
A test email was sent and received back successfully via the O2 account,
since when Outlook has not been able to log into the account.

What am I missing?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Generally you can read POP3 emails from any email account via any Internet
connection. However, some ISPs allow you to send emails using only one of
their own email accounts. Outlook Express as the client lets you read emails
from any account provided you have the POP3 server info and w/o entering
SMTP settings for sending emails. I do not know how Outlook works with
POP3/SMTP accounts but possibly it is trying and failing to log into your O2
account for both receive and send.

Old November 24th 12, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

MikeS has brought this to us :
I do not know how Outlook works with POP3/SMTP accounts but possibly it is
trying and failing to log into your O2 account for both receive and send.

That is exactly how it seemed to me, but read my later post, where it
does manage to log in providing there is mail to send or receive.

Old November 25th 12, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
MikeS has brought this to us :
I do not know how Outlook works with POP3/SMTP accounts but possibly it
is trying and failing to log into your O2 account for both receive and
send.

That is exactly how it seemed to me, but read my later post, where it does
manage to log in providing there is mail to send or receive.

Some ISPs stop you POPing (and maybe SMTPing) too often.
Also I've heard of SMTP not being allowed unless you successfully "logged
in" to a POP session recently (say less than 1 or 2 minutes ago).

I know that those don't seem to explain it but they're something else to
consider when trying to figure out what's going on.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old November 25th 12, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Harry Bloomfield (for it is he) wrote:

It seems it cannot log into the O2 account unless there is email to
send or be received via the O2 server.

It being Outlook? Try from your phone, that will give you a clue as to
whether it's a bug in the server or a bug in Outlook.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:55:35 up 11 days, 0 min, 5 users, load average: 0.38, 0.55, 0.70