Recommendations for a home wifi-enabled router?

Old November 26th 12, 01:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Henry Law

Default Recommendations for a home wifi-enabled router?

I have BT Infinity, and I want to put a second router "inside" the BT
router, giving me both a DMZ and a second layer of insulation against
the outside world.

I have favoured Linksys routers in the past but their current range are
all a strange shape, in the interests of being living-room-friendly I
suppose. The EA2700 for example (picture here
http://home.cisco.com/videos/gallery..._850x425,0.jpg )
is styled along the lines of a rectangular tortoise, and is about 7"
square seen from the "top". I have all my networking gear (including a
24-port switch and a 19"-rack patch panel) in the cellar in a home-made
wiring closet in which the units all sit on what are effectively
19"-wide shelves; I'd need to make it deeper front-to-back to get one of
those things in, or else completely remake it to allow for vertical
mounting.

Netgear units are more shelf-friendly (e.g.
http://img.ebyrcdn.net/8422-170191-800.jpg ) but they're very dear (that
one's 100).

Any recommendations? I want gigabit ports and reasonable WLAN range; I
don't need USB or other server-like features, nor do I need easy setup
and all that stuff.
--

Henry Law Manchester, England
Old November 29th 12, 06:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Henry

If you're not already familiar with

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

you might want to have a look; you'll find good information there.

cheers,

Henry
Old November 29th 12, 03:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Henry Law

On 29/11/12 06:56, Henry wrote:
If you're not already familiar with

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

you might want to have a look; you'll find good information there.

Henry calling Henry ... and another Irishman by the look of eircom.net
(very confusing).

Excellent resource, which I'd not heard of, let alone become familiar
with. Thank you!

--

Henry Law Manchester, England